• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

A good platform....

WA-Wheeler

Well the Jeep is in storage for a while so its time for a new hobby. I was thinking of getting a little RC...thingy. I'm not sure about the rock crawler ones, but I was thinking of a Nitro one, something that makes noise. What I was wondering is what is a good platform to start from? I don't need some super expensive thing right away but I would like a good platform in case I want to make some improvements.

Thanks for any help.

Aaron

Not to turn you away from a nitro or anything but electric to me is the way to go. In my opinion scale crawlers a the most fun to have. I've had a traxxas stampede, traxxas mini slash, axial scorpion, Team Losi Aftershock (nitro), and a trail honcho. To me the nitro was pain in the butt, it was irratating to tune and very tempermental. I bought the trail honcho and it lasted about 1 week before I started customizing it. Its by far my favorite rc I've ever owned. It never gets old making new rollcages and different bumpers or even custom bodies for the thing. Scale crawler all the way:D

Here's my custom scaler, just finished putting leafs in the rear after school today.

rearleafsprings013.jpg

rearleafsprings014.jpg

Thanks for the replies! Yeah i have been back and forth, i kinda just figured the nitro's would keep me more busy. So your saying the crawler is my best option? I am liking the jeep body though...... I just need something to keep me busy, the girlfriend dumped me and the jeep is in storage for a couple of months and now all i really do is work, maybe i will do some research on the scale crawlers... Thanks guys :awesomework:

I say go with a scale crawler. It will definitely keep you busy. I made the jeep body using sheet metal, and this rc has gone through a couple different phases. It started out as pickup truck, then a bronco with custom cage work, then a flatty, and now a cj5 to match my 1:1. this all happened sonce the beginning of last summer:D

Yeah, I have two nitros...they will keep you really busy...working on them.

I average 2x working/fidling to 1x drive time. And they are both stock, no hop ups or add ons. It takes alot to keep them going. I wish I could sell them for half of what I have into them so I could go to a scale electric crawler.

Scalers are less expensive in the overall. Not much to break once most of the plastic is replaced. I am likley going to sell my g500. I have too many of them.
Here's are mine:
rc1.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

rc5.jpg

IMAG0564.jpg

IMAG0561.jpg

IMAG0533.jpg

If you are competitive then look at a non-scaler rock crawlers like a XR10 or Berg. There are two local clubs who hold frequent comps (WPRCCA & WARCRC), I attend both of their comps and it keeps me pretty busy. Both clubs would be more than happy to have a new member:awesomework:

I'm not personally into the scalers, they look cool and all but I think I would get bored of them fast as it doesn't seem very technical.

another vote for scalers. especially if you enjoy the realism of out there wheeling your 1 to 1 jeep or fabricating cages, bumpers, and suspension. To get into making your own, it just takes some brazing supplies and 3/16th brakeline. If I were to start now I would find a nice used or almost new honcho rtr with the new esc and dsm radio gear. just pick it up and start playing with it. the new version doesnt need electronics upgrades and they are very capable out of the box. then you can upgrade stuff like tires and steering components or just drive it for a long time without doing so. the only thing I would recommend is a good 2 or 3cell 2000 or bigger lipo battery and a 35turn motor with a 14tooth pinion gear. I have a few scalers and love it. I cant bring myself to part with any of them.

one Im building (crashfab truggy tribute truck)
100_0296.jpg

toyota hilux I built(didnt I buy one just like this from you a few years ago?)
100_0182.jpg

my tj
sttjontraildocs.jpg

my modified class scaler(almost as capable as a sportsman class comp crawler)
SD531834.jpg

and lil joe my flatfender. these are all at least a 10in w/b and 7in wide. so not too small
SD531656.jpg