• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

A lil Something

To do a chromo cage right, you almost have to TIG it, and then you have to toss it in an oven and heat treat the whole flippin' thing. It's just plain beyond what most of us are ever going to do.

Here are a few more pics

matt14.jpg

matt15.jpg

matt16.jpg

I talked with mat for a bit and we went over a few things. One thing I was hoping to do (I always do on my cages) was a door bar. But unfortunately due to his thick full doors the door bars would be up against his doors we after talking we decided not to do them. I went and added a bar behind the seats for belts to eventually be added to and was planning on triangulating the b-pillars but matt wanted the area behind the seats open for the possability of rear passengers. I also added some grab bars to help in getting into the rig and something to hang onto (also known as an overhead OH **** handle :redneck: )

But in any case the cage is 90% welded now--just gotta pull the dash back to finish that and then prep and paint...

Nice work. It looks like you stole my idea in a lot of places. My junk will be done with fitup tomorrow, then off to Tom Tom's to get welded up.

I Pretty much did the same thing behind the seats, but angled and bent the b-pillar triangulation, not worrying about back seat passengers.

Do the seats still slide all the way back, or does Bishop have aftermarket?

Nice!

Yer pretty freeking speedy with this one man!

O hey i saw a flat bed tow truck coming off yer street onto highway two today with a tube buggy on it and it was haulin a trailer with another buggy on it, were they at yer place?

War-Jeeper said:
Nice!

Yer pretty freeking speedy with this one man!

O hey i saw a flat bed tow truck coming off yer street onto highway two today with a tube buggy on it and it was haulin a trailer with another buggy on it, were they at yer place?

That was probably moto/dan that stopped by but---I was at work :mad:

Pre-fit time. I had to notch the speaker/lamp buckets due to the spreaders but they fit nicely and will survive a roll over :D

matt17.jpg

I really wanted to put the windshield edge bezels back on. I ended up cutting them in half and notching the heck out one half of it but it turned out pretty clean...

matt18.jpg

matt19.jpg

I am sure glad I am not in the body portion of the automotive industry :redneck:

matt20.jpg

matt21.jpg

And here the cage is all primered :;

matt22.jpg

84Toyota4x4 said:
Not if it fails sideways, from a hard roll. Since the spreader is already partly bent, the A/B/C pillars' force inwards could collapse it, whereas a straight bar wouldnt do that IMO. Am I way far off base here?

I guess if there was a hard roll, anything would be better than nothing, and I'm sure theres downsides to any design, one way or the other.

In any case, I like the look of the bent spreaders and would probably do them in my own truck, the work looks really good too. Is there a special tool for making those dimples in the tube where you have hardware mounted? Or did you just tighten the crap out of it? Or, do you dimple it and sleeve it? It seems that the dimples would make for a weak spot? I dunno, Im a newbie :)

~T.J.

Just as an FYI, Crash's design works with a hard roll..... I can personally vouch for that

CrustyJeep said:
Yep, mild. It is cold drawn though, so it's much stronger than hot drawn mild steel (HREW). Plus the weld gets drawn, making it stronger, too.

Yeah, it makes it stonger, but once you start that, you get into plastic deformation, which will eventually get you close to your ultimate yield strength. Why would you use HREW, that has a huge stress riser through the whole thing. I understand that over all the stress riser won't affect anything, but i'm think of the instantanius stress that would occur during a roll-over that would cause it to fail? Can you explain how a mild steel can be stronger or equal to in strength to 4340 chromoly tubing, that has increadibly higher stress strain curves, modulus of elasticity's. As the stress strain curves are based on dislocations moving, and the alloying elements in chromoly greatly increase the energy required for that to take place.

CrustyJeep said:
Yep, mild. It is cold drawn though, so it's much stronger than hot drawn mild steel (HREW). Plus the weld gets drawn, making it stronger, too.

Glen,
What does the R in HREW stand for?
Tony

Symon623 said:
$20 says you've already looked under the hula girls skirt.....:stirpot:
Oh, come on... even I've looked up the skirt. :haha:

I'm really liking that cage, mine will need to get dropped off somewhere soon, it looks awesome.

Well hopefully matt will like this.......

matt23.jpg
[/quote]

matt24.jpg
[/quote]

matt25.jpg
[/quote]

matt26.jpg
[/quote]

And yes I have looked up its skirt :flipoff: