• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Adapting SM465 to Toyota T-case?

bigd9247

Is there any way to adapt an SM465 or other Chevy manual tranny to a Toyota transfer-case? As of right now, I have one non-functioning TH350 w/adapter to a Toyota transfer-case. I know the TH350 has a 27 spline output, while the SM465 has a 10, 32, or 35 spline output...

If that's not reasonable, is there another Chevy manual tranny that has a 27 spline output shaft? Or one that is easily mated to a toyota t-case? or should I just keep looking for a Th350... i don't have a lot of money so I'm looking for inexpensive alternatives.

Finally, if none of the above is possible... how long (overall) is a SM465/NP205 setup and could that be swapped into the Toyota relatively easily? I know I'd probably have to get the rear driveshaft modified, the front is a square tube so no issues with that.

My current setup is a 4.3l V6 to TH350 to Toyota t-case.

I've been trying to replace the TH350... I can't find a good one for the life of me. Junkyards want too much money, craigslist is letting me down, and I've posted in the Wanted section on here. I can't afford a rebuild, unless I buy the rebuild kit and someone one here wants to donate (or charge very little) for the time to rebuild it. I don't want to try doing it myself because I think I ruined the tranny I have when I swapped the output shaft in it. I must have screwed something up, or the tranny itself was bad when I got it (I was told it was good).

dang... not a real cheap alternative. Would it be possible to respline the output shaft on an sm465 to the th350 27 spline and then use the Advance Adapters adapter that I already have?

dang... not a real cheap alternative. Would it be possible to respline the output shaft on an sm465 to the th350 27 spline and then use the Advance Adapters adapter that I already have?

that stick adapter is totally different than your auto adapter. there is no CHEAP way around this unless you use the 205.

that stick adapter is totally different than your auto adapter. there is no CHEAP way around this unless you use the 205.

Yeah but what if you used the stock chevy SM465 to NP205 adapter and then had the SM465 output shaft resplined to 27 spline? or maybe a stock SM465 to other NP t-case adpater? Do any of them have the same 4 bolt pattern that the back of a Th350 has?

WARNING: I don't know much at all about the SM465 so sorry if these are dumb questions.

EDIT: Does the toy t-case stay in the stock location with the OTT adapter?

Last edited:
Yeah but what if you used the stock chevy SM465 to NP205 adapter and then had the SM465 output shaft resplined to 27 spline? or maybe a stock SM465 to other NP t-case adpater? Do any of them have the same 4 bolt pattern that the back of a Th350 has?

WARNING: I don't know much at all about the SM465 so sorry if these are dumb questions.

th350 is on its own. four bolts. worst design gm ever did on a an adapter.

I am not sure. When I did my swap I made my own motor mounts and tranny/t-case crossmember. So I didn't even try to get it in the same location. Besides with that adapter the T-case is clockable so I rotated it up as far as I could, wich would make it not bolt to the stock crossmember anyway. I did redo my drivelines after I did this swap.

t350's are cheaper than dirt to rebuild.

How much is cheaper than dirt? I've only got about $150 to go towards a new tranny. If I can sell off some parts and scrap metal, then I might have some more.

So far, it sounds like the SM465 is probably not the best way to go... it would be nice though to have that granny low... One guy wrote and told me that he knows of someone with a freshly rebuilt TH350 for $300. But like I said, I've got to come up with some more money if I go that route.