• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Alright TJ guys.

PORTER

I will be picking up a TJ here very soon, and I need to be schooled on axles. It has a 30/35 and I have been told that the front with upgraded alloy axle shafts will live with 35s(Mello driving of course) so I am focusing on the rear end. What is the best choice for an almost bolt in situation? I have been told a disc braked 8.8, or a d-44 would be a good choice. What years, and what kind of rig would these axles be got out of? Show this TJ noob the way.:D

Depends on the tires. 35 and below get a rear 8.8. But for the money you could do a 9 inch or 60 rear way cheaper.

8.8's in the area run around $300 to $500. Cost of a 9 or 60 rear $75 to 100.

Just depends on the tire size.

That being said, I beat the ever living piss out of my 8.8 with 35 creepys. Bashed it over rocks, shock loaded it. Just normal "cozy with the stupid pedal" driving. It's held up fine.

I did have the ring gear come off the carrier, but I blame that on my driving style. Now the carrier bolts are "lock wired" to the carrier. Ain't no more backing off.

As for the 30. With the same tires, I fully weld my u-joints in (Spicer 760's) and have yet to break one. I did truss the 30. And the joints wear out about every 6 months (DD and WW) but the only time I broke a front 30 joint was in a parking lot, with a smaller u-joint. (Forgot I was in 4wd)

Last edited:
I cant believe you are asking a question to which you have preached your advice in so many threads :eeek:

$300 OBO (maybe a little less), 1995 or 96 (can't remember) Ford Exploder AWD. Disc Brakes, 3.73 ratio, limited slip, 120k miles. Lemme know if you're interested. Buddy of mine's. Delivered to you.

I cant believe you are asking a question to which you have preached your advice in so many threads :eeek:
Shaddup Troy, ya big buggy bully. Believe me its not easy for me not to put 60s in it, which I recently aquired:D . I gotts to remember its a family rig, I have another rig when I want to get out of hand.:;

Shaddup Troy, ya big buggy bully. Believe me its not easy for me not to put 60s in it, which I recently aquired:D . I gotts to remember its a family rig, I have another rig when I want to get out of hand.:;

Just remember that the 60 will not brake and leave you stranded with the family in the jeep like a d30 or 44 will.:;

Just remember that the 60 will not brake and leave you stranded with the family in the jeep like a d30 or 44 will.:;

No, but a 60 running aired down 35's will only give you about 2" of clearance. 60's are for V8's and other compensations.

Get an 8.8 make sure it has disk brakes and 31 spline axles 97 and newer explorer... mine help up to 38.5's with 4.56's and a arb... never broke a shaft and as far as I know the axle is still running strong at it's new home.

biggest issue with the 8.8 is bowing the housing. it can be trussed pretty easily. arbs do not like the flex in the housing but a lockrite seems to be ok with it. to a certain extent.

id do like Karl said id go with a 9 inch. put chevy disc on it and be done.

Get an 8.8 make sure it has disk brakes and 31 spline axles 97 and newer explorer... mine help up to 38.5's with 4.56's and a arb... never broke a shaft and as far as I know the axle is still running strong at it's new home.

Where does this misinformation come from...? Jeep boards...?

All Explorer 8.8 are 31 spline. 91-94 are drum, 95-01 are disk. 02 and later are IRS.