• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Alright TJ guys.

I have a 97 Explorer 8.8 with Disc and it has done ok by me but I wish that I had done it right the first time by getting a 9". You just have way more options with a 9" than you do with an 8.8.

I have a 97 Explorer 8.8 with Disc and it has done ok by me but I wish that I had done it right the first time by getting a 9". You just have way more options with a 9" than you do with an 8.8.

theres a ton of options for an 8.8 too. Superior axle upgrade, c-clip eliminator, ARB's, Detroit, what else do you want?

biggest issue with the 8.8 is bowing the housing. it can be trussed pretty easily. arbs do not like the flex in the housing but a lockrite seems to be ok with it. to a certain extent.
I have just the opposite experience. I have yet to see an ARB failure in an 8.8 due to housing flex. The tubes are thin but larger diameter than most 44's. Heavy rigs with big motors or real aggressive guys not running squirrel power might spin a tube but it's rare. Most guys reweld the tubes for additional strength. As for the Lock Right (or any other lunchbox), the 8.8 open carrier is very weak. I get many reports of broken cases with 8.8's once a lunch box is installed.

9" with High 9 centers front and rear. That would be going it right the first time. You also have some really nice aftermarket 9" housings and goodies.

Who makes a C-Clip eliminator for the 8.8. Warn was the only one I found but they discontinued that a few years ago.

With the continued support for the 9", even after production of that axle has stopped, I belive that it is good option. Really the only down side to running a 9" that I can think of is having to by custom length and\or bolt pattern axles. When you are away from the spare parts on a long trip it sucks when you can not buy comthing off the shelf to keep you going. Again, this is the only draw back that I can see for the 9".

Sorry guys, no 8.8 for me. If I am going to polish something, I will start with something strong then make it stronger.:D

Last edited:
Oh do not get me wrong. I am not putting any more into the 8.8. There is a 9" sitting on the floor in the garage that I have to finish and put in when ready. The 8.8 is working for now though so I am not in a hurry at the moment. :D

Sorry guys, no 8.8 for me. If I am going to polish something, I will start with something strong then make it stronger.:D

The 31 spline is stronger than your think Porter. Man I snapped a leaf the axle was fine. You put the super 8.8 in it and I think thats more than plenty strong. Like you said, this isn't going to be your hard core rig, this is going to be your mall crawler/DD/family rig. Plus its the stock 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

Weigh the options; a stock 9" disc brakes compared to a stock 8.8 w/disc?

Whats it going to cost to beef up the 8.8? compared to the 9''.....

Just a thought. :cool:

Apples to Apples, to get a disc braked, non-clip 8.8 vs 9". I'm not going to include gears or lockers, you have to buy them either way so its a wash.

Junkyard Explorer 8.8 = ~$400
Super 88 Kit = $550
Total = $950

Junkyard 9" = $200
Custom axleshafts = $295
Narrow the housing =$125
Junkyard Explorer disc brakes = $100.
Total = $720

The advantage of the 9" is that it doesn't cost much more to step up to 35 spline. The shafts cost the same, the only additional thing you have to buy is a 3.25" bearing 3rd member for ~$350.