• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Aluminum links

Can you use 6061 aluminum for link bars

Votes: 1 12.5%

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
7075 is what is desired for links, but you can use 6061 with decent results. I think Brad Kellog ran them and they seemed to be ok. If you can get and afford 7075, I would go that way. In the end anything can bend, I have bent a 7075 in a year of use

No, I run 1.75" lowers and 1.5" uppers. But I have a 3600lb rig and have space limitations so I can't run big OD links

Matt O. said:
7075 is what is desired for links, but you can use 6061 with decent results. I think Brad Kellog ran them and they seemed to be ok. If you can get and afford 7075, I would go that way. In the end anything can bend, I have bent a 7075 in a year of use

Matt....Are you still running that bent link on the rig or do you have it in reserve as a spare?

i am running 2" 6061 t6 on a 5k rockwell buggy
have had them on there for almost 2yrs and have had no probs
they are a little bent but not enough to matter

Ken_00 said:
Matt....Are you still running that bent link on the rig or do you have it in reserve as a spare?

Still running it, it is not terrible but you can definately tell. JR is running 7075, Jimmy at EOR has good prices on AL links... Mine came from Branik because he helped me out for KOH last year, Ken^ from KORE has good prices on it also. If you don't have access to the lathe and the taps and dies to cut your own I would suggest some made to order links that are ready to go

Thanks for all the info. I'am going with the 7075 2" links and 1 1/4 heims. I cant wait to get it done so i can let her :eat:

I went over kill on my bars . All 7075 aluminum . 2 1/2 inch lowers and 2 inch uppers with 1 1/4 jonny joints on the lower and 1 inch upper jonny joints . But my links are all almost 4 feet long also .

Jhouser said:
Mine should be no longer than 36" and the rig should only weight 4000lbs. I think i should be ok??

You aren't talking about the buggy in your avater are you?