• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anit-Sway Bars

modifier

Sorry if this has already been addressed but I haven't seen anything on it.

In the old days everyone was all about removing sway-bars from factory rigs if they had them or having disconnects to allow for unimpeded articulation. But now it seems that most people who build custom trick rigs have at least a sway-bar in the rear and sometimes on front.

Is it because they are going fast, aka Bouncing, rather than crawling over rocks?

What is the difference between the performance of a rig with and without?

This is just my opinion but crawling doesn't really require a sway bar unless your suspension isn't set up correctly then one will help " band aid" the body roll... A lot of the newer rigs are indeed going much faster and that's why they are running a sway bar to handle better at speeds

If you look around most of your current bouncers are not running them, just a few. If you get the suspension right there is really no need in it, even rock racing your really not seeing the high speeds

I was led to believe they also help you get traction from the force of the bar pushing down on the rear suspension when in articulation. Helps control body roll too. Just about everyone I ride with has some sort of sway bar on there buggys.

The material used to build a sway bar is the most important along with size and diameter of the shaft with the proper set up you can get full articulation with a sway bar hooked up. Most everyone is used to factory style sway bars witch basically were designed to correct body roll. But know adays the game has changed with sway bars not only can you correct body roll you can add traction with increasing the force applied to the wheels by the torque of the bar all monster trucks have sway bars but the geometry and as i stated above material used is what is important just slapping a sway bar on will not help you have to build one that is sqec for your rig flashemifyougotem

If you do want to add a rear bar how do you determine what diameter to use? Not saying I will on this rig, just researching.

It seems like they are on almost all professionally built rigs these days. Cameron builds a new bouncer about every 6 months it seems, so if there was no advantage to it he probably wouldn't have one, having run with and without in the past.

The Currie bar works for most applications you will ever encounter. PAC makes a kick ass collection of bars and I really like it on my U4 car. WFO has the Currie and it does it's job without creating adverse effects. I'd pick up a Currie universal kit and toss it on there. I bet you'll be happy with it

I'll b honest I do not know the formula however i am looking into this i have been talking to knight stalker and trying to learn from them they have the ability to build a sway bar for any rig they just need your sprung weight and unsprung weight and wheelbase they are top notch and if i learn the formula i will def fill you in but i know the size of shaft is not solid all the way through the machine it down towards the middle for flex :****:

modifier said:
Cameron builds a new bouncer about every 6 months it seems, so if there was no advantage to it he probably wouldn't have one, having run with and without in the past.

All depends on your driving style. I figure he wants as much stability as possible while he does the whole show out on the steepest hills around skating from side to side wildly working rear steer.... I wouldn't really call it an "advantage", as it's only more of an advantage with certain applications after several factors are taken into consideration. Some crawler suspensions aren't set up properly and a sway bar would help while still allowing moderate travel......some bouncers need em for what they do, others manage fine without em. It's all in how your suspension acts and your driving style. Every rig's suspension and driver is different, I wouldn't say that they are some form of universal "advantage" but most certainly could be an advantage for certain applications.

Even if your geometry is right, a sway bar can add more stability to a vehicle and help with uncontrolled weight transfers when flexed and climbing steep ledges. Typically the higher the roll center height, the less need for a sway bar.

Re:

Sway bar help with stability, roll, and coilover unloading. When people suck down the front with a winch that like having a sway bar in a way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk