• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Another Dodge CTD Question

TacOffRd

I have started looking around, and I know I want a Quad Cab 3/4 ton, I just can't afford the newer ones, so I have been looking at the older 12v. Being they are older, they generally have more miles. Seeing as how I am a noob to diesels, what would you consider high mileage on one? I've been seeing them anywhere from 60k up to 200k miles, and price range from $10k up to $20k. I know they are good motors, but at just how many miles should you start to be concerned? Obviously prices are relative to miles, but I'm just looking for some suggestions... Thanks.

Also, is there a point in the motors life (mileage wise) where you shouldn't do any upgrades, or where they won't be nearly as effective?

Last edited:
TacOffRd said:
at just how many miles should you start to be concerned?
500k. :redneck: I'd shoot for as low as you can find/afford. Glad to see you're joining the dark side. :clappy:

skrause said:
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwWWWWWWWWWHAT?:wtf:
More than likely gonna sell the Taco and find an older trail rig. I really need something I can tow with. The Taco doesn't like being hooked up to my dad's 3500lb boat. :redneck:

TacOffRd said:
More than likely gonna sell the Taco and find an older trail rig. I really need something I can tow with. The Taco doesn't like being hooked up to my dad's 3500lb boat. :redneck:
Bah, that's nothing. My Taco's towed over 6k. :flipoff: Whatever you've gotta do, just as long as you're not giving up on wheeling. :kiss:

just figure out a price range.. and find the best one you can find in that range.. or tell us your price range.. and we'll do it for you :redneck:

Lucky Jeff said:
just figure out a price range.. and find the best one you can find in that range.. or tell us your price range.. and we'll do it for you :redneck:

OK, not that I wanna say it, but I gotta....
The guy who wants to help find a truck has
"98 Ram diesel DEAD! " in his sig line.....:stirpot:
:haha: :haha:

:hi:

03 CON said:
OK, not that I wanna say it, but I gotta....
The guy who wants to help find a truck has
"98 Ram diesel DEAD! " in his sig line.....:stirpot:
:haha: :haha:

:hi:

Do i dare to say that Jeff knows more about oil burners than anyone else on THIS site?

Bunk said:
Do i dare to say that Jeff knows more about oil burners than anyone else on THIS site?

Sure Joe, no problem, but you have to find the irony and humor....:cool:

I paid just under $10k for my 1997 2500 4x4 with 181,000 miles on the odo. And it needed a few things to be fixed (windshield, power mirror switch, fuel level sender, dash vent actuator, cruise control). But the motor itself runs strong and the truck drives well. I think I got a pretty good deal at that price.

Here is a nice one, albeit at the high end on your price range: '98 Ram 2500, CTD, 5 speed, Qcab, 4x4

Boomer said:
I paid just under $10k for my 1997 2500 4x4 with 181,000 miles on the odo. And it needed a few things to be fixed (windshield, power mirror switch, fuel level sender, dash vent actuator, cruise control). But the motor itself runs strong and the truck drives well. I think I got a pretty good deal at that price.

Here is a nice one, albeit at the high end on your price range: '98 Ram 2500, CTD, 5 speed, Qcab, 4x4

It's also here: :redneck:

http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6448

J

My price range is probably gonna be up to about $19k-$20k...

I have been doing a lot of looking, and I see alot of the 24V (mostly 2001 and 2002's) with anywhere from 90k-130k and the price tag is still right in there at $19-20k. Then I find a '98 12V with 117k on the odo for just under $15k. Is there that big of a price difference between the 12V and 24V? Any advantages/disadvantages between the two? Any upgrades that are available for one and not the other? I mean, the truck itself is still 3-4 years newer, but it has been driven just as much...

Thanks.

TacOffRd said:
My price range is probably gonna be up to about $19k-$20k...

I have been doing a lot of looking, and I see alot of the 24V (mostly 2001 and 2002's) with anywhere from 90k-130k and the price tag is still right in there at $19-20k. Then I find a '98 12V with 117k on the odo for just under $15k. Is there that big of a price difference between the 12V and 24V? Any advantages/disadvantages between the two? Any upgrades that are available for one and not the other? I mean, the truck itself is still 3-4 years newer, but it has been driven just as much...

Thanks.
They both have their advantages.. My 12 valve was good for me cause i'm BROKE! And they tend to last longer (If you don't drive like me). You have to buy more right off the bat to get the 24 valve where you'd want it.. But once you hit a certain point. You start spending the same.. If you want just a simple diesel that you can get good towing power out of for CHEAP. then the 12 valve is the route to take..

nice, going for the dodge diesel to huh, I have been looking for one for like 6 months now. To bad your getting rid of the taco though

Lucky Jeff said:
They both have their advantages.. My 12 valve was good for me cause i'm BROKE! And they tend to last longer (If you don't drive like me). You have to buy more right off the bat to get the 24 valve where you'd want it.. But once you hit a certain point. You start spending the same.. If you want just a simple diesel that you can get good towing power out of for CHEAP. then the 12 valve is the route to take..
Thanks for the info.

Now, I know the 24V you have to watch out for the KDP...is that only on the early year 24V, or all of them, and is there anything specific to watch for on the 12V when looking at trucks?

TacOffRd said:
Thanks for the info.

Now, I know the 24V you have to watch out for the KDP...is that only on the early year 24V, or all of them, and is there anything specific to watch for on the 12V when looking at trucks?

Yes, have the fuel pressure before the injection pump checked. If it is low then you could likely have a bad injection pump. Take it on a 50 mile test drive then have the trucks codes pulled. Most dealers will clear the codes and it takes a long drive to throw a code. By doing this you are going to save yourself about 2K if it is bad.:redneck:

Actually, the 12 valve Cummins have had the bigger issue with the KDP. Although the problem is also cropping up with the 24 valve engines as new as 2002. For the minimal cost and time it takes to address the issue, I'd be taking care of it on either motor.

The biggest issue with the 24 valves is the VP44 injection pump. The electric lift pump gets weak or fails altogether and the lack of fuel pressure causes the injection pump to fail. A rebuilt injection pump alone runs over $1,000. Ouch.

The primary benefits of the 12 valve are it's simpler mechanical lift and injection pumps which have proven to be more reliable than their electronically controlled counterparts used on the 24 valve. The 12 valves are also a bit less expensive to hop up. A $200~ for a torque plate and governer spring kit for a 12 valve vs. $500-600~ for a computer system for a 24 valve. And everything being more or less equal, the 12 valves have also been reported to get a little better fuel economy.

Personally, I wanted the simplest, most reliable, and as bullet proof of a diesel truck as I could get, and to me that sounded like a 12 valve Cummins with an NV4500 transmission. As long as the rest of the truck isn't ragged out, they seem to really hold their value as they are appreciated and sought after. My brother has a 2001 24 valve and it's been a good truck for him, although lately he has been saying something about the throttle not being responsive at times. Could be VP44 time for him. :booo: