• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Another iron in the fire

thebonds

Last spring picked up a 91 4runner. As this will be my 3 current crawler build its going to take some time. This will hopefully end up my long term family hauler.

Details on the runner: 91 22re, 5 speed, horrible body lift, muddy as hell, smashed front end, and bent frame. Ran and barely drove. $500.

Plans are the usual for these second gens. 1 tons, linked rear, cut to pieces, duals...and so on. And pictures

Engine pulled and getting donated to my 89 extended cab. Due to worn rings. Not sure what is going to be the replacement yet. Hoping to find a 3rz but all depends on what pops up on crankslist.

Front end gone. Never mind my Jack stands, new ones on the way.

Pretty much at a stand still right now until my welder shows up. I pre-ordered the longevity 200s that was on back order. Hopefully it shows up withing the next few weeks. Then I will get back on the sheetmetal work and new frame.

Removimg brackets on rear axle. 9.5" 14 bolt. Not the ff 14, but the price was right. (Free) should hold up just fine to my wheeling style. I am still on the lookout for a 60 front.

And some goodies.

Still waiting for my new longevity welder to show up before actual assembly and the real building starts. They are shooting for mid Januarynow before it is back in stock and shipped out to me.
Anyways, got bored and pulled a couple ifs boxes apart and drilled out for hydro assist.

Just got my 60 front home. Haven't decided on a suspension set up for the front yet. Going to 4 link the rear and have been planning on leaf springs up front just for the ease.

After plating the spiders solid I realized being a semi float axle I need to be able to access the inner stubs of the axle shaft to install the c clips that hold everything together.:mad:
So a little help from the plasma has me back in business. Still should be plenty strong for an underpowered Toyota. If I break I guess it gives me an excuse to get a full floater.

Haha, when I saw the first picture I was wondering how you were going to install the C-clips. :redneck:

My first time setting up gears. Here's the pattern I'm coming up with. Big axle under little power I'm hoping to be fine

From what I see I could use a little more pinion shim so it sat a little deeper into the tooth but plan on running it like it is.

Ya here we go. Lots of weed tonight. Got my rear axle done.
Gears done. Still need truss and link mounts

Snow wheelin inland nw tomorrow:swing:
. hop I'm still welcome

Last edited:
Rear axle and suspension gone. Time to start cutting brackets, grinding, and decide how much of the frame to leave.