• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anti theft on offroad rig.

Eddyj

I know we talked about this at one time but can't find the thread.
For everyone using a switch panel and push start are you incorporating any sort of anti theft into it.
Anything from keeping your drunk buddies out of it while your sleeping at a HL ride to leaving parked on your open trailer outside while at work or away for the weekend?

Re: Anti theft on offroad rig.

8dcad35370b74462178134c2e4bf84c8.jpg

Wouldn't you like to know...

Seems like whether or not its EFI or carb'd the hidden switch inline with the ignition or ECU should work just fine. I've also heard of people hiding a switch for the fuel pump too. I always thought that would be fairly easy to figure out but then again most thieves are looking to get in and get away as quick as they can.

Truth be told, mine doesn't start have the time anyways. My wore out neutral safety switch doubles as a theft deterrent, sometimes.

Re:

As said a hidden kill switch is likely the easiest thing. Or install a power disconnect in an inconspicuous location, like under/behind the seats.

Could also build a lockable cover for your switch panel.

Or could always just install a factory style key switch/lock cyl. Universal ones aren't worth it as a screwdriver will get passed them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Re:

I also think there is a difference between keeping drunk buddies out & thieves. The latter is not as likely to spend as much time to get it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hidden ignition switch for thieves. Also I sleep light and always heeled. As for drunk buddies, I am usually the last asshole up at most rides. :****: They gotta worry about me ganking their crap. :drinkers: molaugh

Mine is insured, but I might also be over protective. It sits in a garage on jack stands, tires off, battery disconnected, camera on the garage 24/7. Then there is always my gun, rottweiler, and pitbull on stand by. When I have my rzr and jeep on the trailer going somewhere, both have cables through the wheels that are locked to the trailer. thumb.gif

I take the steering wheel and have a power disconnect hidden.

usually it's parked inside the enclosed so no worries.

Hidden switch is simple enough. Then install a universal tumbler on the dash, throw the key away and never hook up the tumbler to the ignition.

They would mess with it quite a while not knowing the thing isn't even hooked up.

I have a hidden kill switch, factory ignition key switch on the column and if I feel like that's not enough I'll loosen the fuel pump relay or pull a fuse, bit more inconvenient, but probably out of thought range for drunken buddies or smash and grab thieves. I have pulled the fuel pump relay on my tow rig when staying at a hotel with rigs on the trailer before too.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines got two batteries in it and I've got a master kill on both grounds and they plug in under both front fenders about elbow deep. But mines got so many damn shifters it would confuse most people anyway. Well it does one of my buddies he looks completely lost when you ask him to move it.

My favorite was someone said they had a big start button on the switch panel that was hooked up to a race horn.

Eddyj said:
My favorite was someone said they had a big start button on the switch panel that was hooked up to a race horn.

That's a good idea. And would be funny when getting someone to move your rig.

Eddyj said:

That's awesome.

I'm sure some dumbass crook would would hit it more than once too :rolf:

1101-car-parts%2F09-modified-parts%2F110109020245%2FBE%2F750%2F110109020245%20(1).jpg

It would be nice if you could wire it so that once the horn started to blow you had to hit a different switch to turn it off