• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Any difference between marine and auto engines?

Tankota

Buddies 1 year old boat engine got a cracked block from not draining it this winter. The boat place told him "about $8000" to fix it:kissmyass:
Seems that the "marine" and automotive engines have different price brackets but I can't seem to see ANY difference in them. Is there a difference?
He needs a shortblock for a 5.0 chevy (volvo penta). Know any decent places to get one? Thanks.

Last edited:
So what is different...the cam?

Any structural differences?

From an initial internet search it appears that if you mention the word "boat" the price about doubles for no other reason:awesomework:

Sorta like buying the old headlight lense for a bug and a porsche. Same part but porsche one cost twice as much:awesomework:

Or the same bearing for a chevy and a cadillac...guess which one cost more even though they had the same part number on the bearing?:rolleyes:

The big differences typically are on the outside of the motor...wiring, spark arrestors on the intake and heat exchange exhaust manifolds (optional)

Typical boat engines have hotter cams and forged piston, better rods and cranks. The block will be the HD unit (4bolt Etc)...
Other then that it is all external...

C

I dont think there is much difference in the block. Tear it down and see about the 4bolt mains. You could prob use a car block and swap all the parts on to it. The heads are different because the exhuast manifolds are water cooled.

Boat motors are heavier walled casting and stronger internals and some are even counter rotation.

If this is going into salt water at all, go boat motor unless you are just dumping the boat.

not only are they (sometimes) reverse rotation, the head gaskets are different as well as all the freeze plugs (brass instead of the steel ones)

had to do many of them at the shop back in the days...

you just have to make sure that it is standard rotation, change the head gaskets with the proper ones, change all the externals (exh man, bla bla bla) and make sure you have the brass freeze plugs in and you can use one from the automotive line with those modifications --If you had to.

used to build a lot of 383 strokers for race boats back in the day... in fact one of the boats was on the cover of the Keith Black Piston catalog for a while... I miss those days:booo:

My uncle has a 24' boat with a trailer for sale. Not sure what kind of boat it is, but the engine is a brand new 310hp 350 marine engine. When I say brand new, I mean it is still in the engine bag in a crate in my dads shop. I believe it was built by a shop out of Spokane?

Last I heard he wanted $1500 for everything... boat, trailer, and new engine, but whoever buys it must take it all.

PM me if your buddy is interested and I will get you a # to call...