• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anybody running an AX 15 behind a 22r?

alscott

Is anybody running an AX 15 behind a 22r? or know of an adapter to put one behind a 22r? Ive tried searching with no good results and couldnt find one on AA website. Thanks in advance

Rjhoward32006 said:
Why would you want to do this? Its weaker than a toyota trans. If your looking to run jeep t case and axles you can run an aw4 auto behind the 22r

It's not weaker. Ax15 is identical to an r150 v6 Toyota trans, only with different bellhousing and tail housing and input/outputs. The intermediate plate and all internals are the same.

You can put an ax15 tailhousing on r150 and use a Dana 300

You can put r150 input and bellhousing and use d300 case

You can also pretty much make it work with any engine/trans'case using all factory parts for various application. I.e. Use dodge Dakota bell housing to get hemi bellhousing pattern.

Or chevy Colorado bell housing to get to GM bellhousing pattern,

Also can use Toyota Supra stuff to adapt to 7mgte or 2jz engine.

May want to search the web for r150 info, there is a ton on the web.

You'll need a R151 turbo trans and an ax15 to mix n match parts

Assuming you are trying to accomplish the round pattern tcase output with an "R/AX15" series trans?

Thanks for the replies. Reason behind this is wanting to go to an atlas and delete my tcase problems and worry. Plus ill be able to drive like that much more of an idiot!

So is my understanding correct that the r150 or r151 turbo bellhousing will bolt onto the ax15? but the r150 still wont bolt up to my 22r so reguardless I have to have the r151 bell housing?

Re: Re: Anybody running an AX 15 behind a 22r?

alscott said:
So is my understanding correct that the r150 or r151 turbo bellhousing will bolt onto the ax15? but the r150 still wont bolt up to my 22r so reguardless I have to have the r151 bell housing?

Correct

Re: Re: Anybody running an AX 15 behind a 22r?

TBItoy said:

maybe im over complicating this now but does the toyota trans input shaft have to be swapped into the ax15 or with the turbo bell housing on the ax15 it bolts straight up without changing inputs.

Re: Re: Re: Anybody running an AX 15 behind a 22r?

alscott said:
maybe im over complicating this now but does the toyota trans input shaft have to be swapped into the ax15 or with the turbo bell housing on the ax15 it bolts straight up without changing inputs.

I'd assume so. Pretty sure the lengths and spline counts are different. Don't remember from my research.

I researched it 5 years ago or so.

Ended up buying a rig with an aw4-d300 swapped into it.

alscott said:

Have to change inputs also

I have a buddy that just did something very similar. He has an 87 4Runner with the 3.no. It was a 5 speed truck with the goofy v6 chaindrive case. He wanted deeper gears for crawling. His solution was to use an AX-15/231/D300 combo. He swapped the bell housing and input shaft from the Toyota unit to the AX-15 then mated a 231/D300 combo to the back of the AX-15. Not sure if this same setup will work with the 22R but I would assume so. Hope this helps some Alex and good luck buddy!

BTW....congrats! :spin:

Latest posts