• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone done an NV4500 swap with a Chevy 350?

Dunbroke

Raging Bull
I have a 1970 Cruiser and it has the stock Toyota 4 speed and 3 spd t-case. I hate the combo behind my 383 stroker motor. It just isn't stout enough. I have already split one t-case in half. I don't want to do that to another. I am considering an NV4500 swap. Anyone have tips on this swap? GM or Dodge? Year range? Gearing setup? I really want the overdrive and granny low so those are major motivating factors for me. Any help is appreciated.

Crash has to talk himself into everything.... :) That boy sure is slow to learn. How much money did you waste on that 22r motor???????

To anyone that is considering a nv4500 keep in mind the fluid changes.
Castrol sythethic and almost a gallon of it in the tranny.. $$$$$$

(Fiber Synchro's)

On the other hand still being able to drive it with no clutch is great. Jull pull it into gear the synchro's are strong enough to act like a clutch to get it rolling.

It sounds like you have a few different issues, but the tranny only solves part of your problem (and creates new problems at the same time).

With an NV4500, you'll add like 10" (guess) to your drivetrain. Can your rear driveshaft absorb that and still be functional? The J40 tranny is fairly short compared to most modern transmissions.

Which t-case are you planning to use? Are you going to swap in a centered rear axle to accomodate the centered output of the t-case?

Did you have a stiffening bracket on your stock transfer case when you cracked it? If not, you ought to know better... :looser:

I'm not trying to bust on your ideas because I'd love a 4500, but it's not the easiest fit in a SWB rig that you're trying to keep street legal (i.e. axles under the sheet metal).

Eric