• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

AOD or STICK

1ofakind

I just got a rig going to transplant all the parts in to a jeepster body

it a ford power plant what to run the 4 speed in it a C4 or C6 aod ..

thats the ?

I ran a C6 for years, it'd get so hot it wouldn't pull. Crawl speeds kill it I reckon. 435 will move whenever you want it to, that's what I got in mine now.

if your gonna use a ford automatic, do yourself a favor and join clickclickracing.com its the best ford auto forum on the planet! if i wanted to use a ford auto with OD and retain auto shift, i would build an AOD case with internals (stamped steel drums, mech diode, ect) from a 4R70W, to get a wide ratio gear set and lower first, plus strength. if you want a full manual, just get a 98 and up 4R and get a MVB... DONE! i have a 100,000+ 4R in my mustang with a MVB and its gone 6.50's in the 1/8 cherping the slicks on every gear change! BUT, be forewarned, the ford OD's can get expensive! a c-4 is much cheaper to build.

dan gilsdorf (silverfox) builds the best VB's for ford OD's, hands down! im gonna end up building an AOD like i mentioned above with the 4R parts and a one a piece input shaft and a modified C-6 converter with his SPT-R-TB body, which has auto/man shift and a transbrake.

I'm all stick myself I don't like walkamatics u loose a starter or flywheel teeth in the woods with an auto your stuck but a stick and your not stuck but that's my preference if its a bouncer you need an auto.

1ofakind said:
I just got a rig going to transplant all the parts in to a jeepster body

it a ford power plant what to run the 4 speed in it a C4 or C6 aod ..

thats the ?

What is the planned usage for the vehicle when finished??? For a DD/ light-duty WW the AOD is a decent choice, it has a decent 1st gear for off road and the OD will allow you to drive home without killing your fuel economy. Except that is pretty much where the usefulness of the AOD is exhausted - An AOD in stock form is quite weak and the TV cable can be problematic with some setups.

AOD Downfalls - expensive upgrades needed to get the strength of a stock C4/C6 - MVB's are out there but they are pricey ($500-700) and none are reverse shift pattern. Since R and 1 at opposite ends of the earth(seemed that way at times) you can forget any quick R to D shifting. Don't loiter in 3rd either, being a converter lock-up gear it WILL stall the engine.

For the hardcore offroad vehicle the best bang for your buck is a built C4 - smallblock applications or built C6 - 429/460 applications. I personally would not recommend a C6 behind a SBF for offroad since the C6 requires about 50-60 HP just to get things moving. Both "C" transmissions can be upgraded without taking out a 2nd mortgage. Jay at Broader Performance in TX offers everything you'll need to upgrade either unit to handle the abuse of offroad, he also had builds very nice converters as well. There are also many options for MVB's for the 3spd auto - including reverse pattern, no engine braking, and engine braking in 1st.

As long as you keep a c4/c6 fluid temp down you should see many years of use/abuse. Don't forget the important role the rest of the drive train plays in prolonging the transmissions life, large tires and or high gear ratios will lead to excess heat and will kill ANY automatic trans no matter the brand or build level.

deranged57 said:
What is the planned usage for the vehicle when finished??? For a DD/ light-duty WW the AOD is a decent choice, it has a decent 1st gear for off road and the OD will allow you to drive home without killing your fuel economy. Except that is pretty much where the usefulness of the AOD is exhausted - An AOD in stock form is quite weak and the TV cable can be problematic with some setups.

AOD Downfalls - expensive upgrades needed to get the strength of a stock C4/C6 - MVB's are out there but they are pricey ($500-700) and none are reverse shift pattern. Since R and 1 at opposite ends of the earth(seemed that way at times) you can forget any quick R to D shifting. Don't loiter in 3rd either, being a converter lock-up gear it WILL stall the engine.

For the hardcore offroad vehicle the best bang for your buck is a built C4 - smallblock applications or built C6 - 429/460 applications. I personally would not recommend a C6 behind a SBF for offroad since the C6 requires about 50-60 HP just to get things moving. Both "C" transmissions can be upgraded without taking out a 2nd mortgage. Jay at Broader Performance in TX offers everything you'll need to upgrade either unit to handle the abuse of offroad, he also had builds very nice converters as well. There are also many options for MVB's for the 3spd auto - including reverse pattern, no engine braking, and engine braking in 1st.

As long as you keep a c4/c6 fluid temp down you should see many years of use/abuse. Don't forget the important role the rest of the drive train plays in prolonging the transmissions life, large tires and or high gear ratios will lead to excess heat and will kill ANY automatic trans no matter the brand or build level.
i have studied and used every ford automatic produced, from the FMX to the A4LD... and i have to disagree with the above opinion of the AOD, during the mid 80's early 90's people hated the AOD, because they didnt understand them, Lentech was the first shop to take the time to understand the AOD and work to dispell the myth's... like the AOD is weak, its actually a strong trans, yes, misadjusted TV settings can fry one quickly, but there are solutions for this without having a MVB, silverfox performance transmissions offers valve bodies that are constant pressure, they still use the TV for kickdown features but when the TV is disconnected it will hold any gear to any RPM (if desired). plus like i mentioned, if a person wanted to build one to the ultimate... all it takes is an AOD case and a 4R donor, with the 4R internals in the AOD case a one piece input shaft and stock rebuild clutch set / carbon bands, and a quality VB like mentioned basically it will last forever and have a better crawl ratio than the c4 (2.46) since the wide ratio gearset has 2.84. http://classicbroncos.com/tech/c4-3-speed-automatic-transmission-guide

is it cheaper than a c4? no. is it strong and will it last ? yes, there are rebuilders that make adapters for the AOD to work behind chevy motors and people are using them to replace the chevy holy grail TH400!

http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/VB_AOD.html
http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/forum.php

no offense ment to the quoted member, just giving my opinion from my experience. ;)

1ofakind said:
I have a c4 trans. ? Is how much do u thank it will $ to build
a C4 is probably the cheapest of ANY ford trans to build, aftermarket support is HUGE! i havent had one built in a LONG time (20+yrs), but im sure it can be done for around $500.00, if you do it yourself id say around $100.00 for std. parts.

1ofakind said:
I'm just worried about running out of gear will a 3 speed transmission while I'm trying to climb something

do you mean like a hill climb, high speed? or do you mean having a gear low enough to crawl something?

i ran a c-4 with dana 20 and then 3.8 atlas, c-4 is a strong little trans. 1 pointer, the c-4 vents through the intermediate housing, i plumbed in a line from the intermediate housing back to the dipstick (pan fill type) and added a vent at the top of the dip stick so when climbing a steep slab/hill etc the trans wouldnt starve for fluid. I also ran a b&m deep pan with the extended pickup. a good cooler and mine ran between 160-180 all day. next the np 435 with a 205 i ran this with a 302 and then bored stroked 351 to 408, 435 is extremely strong trans but i'm just not a stick guy, im now running a c-6 with an atlas 4.3, i like the c-6 but it does rob a lot of power seems to cool easier than the c-4. anyway good luck with the build. i have a 435/205 for sale and is listed in the for sale ads. hope this helps.

1ofakind said:
I want the rig to be dual purpose. So if i wanted 2 inter into a competition that I could.

like williams said, its a strong trans and would be fine for a dual purpose rig... guys have used them in early broncos with the d20 for years... drive ot the trail, wheel and drive home.