• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ARB vs.....

I know there's been a million ARB threads here, it's just crazy the hit and miss with them.

I would LOVE to run them on my next rig, but I've just seen so many problems. I know the setup is important like anything else.

I always liked the thought of ARB's but never wanted to spend the money on them and or deal with some of the problems you read or hear about, until now. Now that i have one in my rig WOW. Rockwells dont turn very sharp like 28-30 degrees and with a spool or something that doesnt unlock is hard to get around so for me the ease of wheeling is way better with an ARB

Full hydro and selectable t-case eh? Steering rocks and until you feel the difference of selectable lockers you wont understand.

yep wheeled last weekend for the first time with a front Elocker and it is awesome.

I am going to look for onr for the rear now.:awesomework:

I always liked the thought of ARB's but never wanted to spend the money on them and or deal with some of the problems you read or hear about, until now. Now that i have one in my rig WOW. Rockwells dont turn very sharp like 28-30 degrees and with a spool or something that doesnt unlock is hard to get around so for me the ease of wheeling is way better with an ARB

Take out your steering stops and use 10inches of throw. You gotta with Rocks. Do you have rear steer little crawler?

These Yukon zip lockers are junk!!

yep wheeled last weekend for the first time with a front Elocker and it is awesome.

I am going to look for onr for the rear now.:awesomework:

This is funny coming from you.....Mr. i will only ever run detroits . Gave me **** for having air lockers. Whats others have are junk until B rad gets it then they are cool.....

It would be a decent test if they did it about 100 times.

That's crap and you know it. Testing is incredibly expensive. At the OE auto level, where more testing is done than anywhere, tests are still just done a handful of times (if results don't change). In the case of the ARB and the Zip is WAS only 1 test, but it showed that we should, at least, question the value of saving $100. Do you go with what you know or save $100 on something that any reasonable person should question after seeing the video?

At Eaton they had INDEPENDENT tests done to compare the Truetrac and Eaton Posi to Randy's knock-off Posi. The test was designed by GM and 400 cycles was considered 'Pass'. The Truetracs completed the test at 600 cycles, the Eaton Posi's had 1 unit pass and another fail at 510 (IIRC) and the Yukon units failed at 203 (IIRC). These tests were considered by the test lab to be representative of product quality and THEY considered the test group size to be sufficient to make accurate assumptions (yes assumptions) about product quality and durability.
Check here http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/IndependentTesting/index.htm

The quality control companies like Eaton and ARB have are far in excess of anything that the Indian or Chinese companies can provide.

Don't get me wrong, there may be a time that the Zip quality is up to the competition. Remember that ARB has made numerous design changes to get it up to today's quality. Products evolve and I imagine the Zip will too. Someday it may be worth considering but not today.

FWIW that video wasn't available last summer. I'm sure you saw this very comparible video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewt7f-h8Wn4

well, as i'm not arguing the fact that the arb is stronger.

in this video, they say the axle shaft is virtually undamaged.(when the chinese knockoff broke)
However, if you look closely, the shaft is twisted at the splines.

I'm not vouching for the quality of anything, it's the test thats BS. One cycle shows really nothing especially when the failure points are so close...
I've never even heard of a zip locker before this.

That's crap and you know it. Testing is incredibly expensive. At the OE auto level, where more testing is done than anywhere, tests are still just done a handful of times (if results don't change). In the case of the ARB and the Zip is WAS only 1 test, but it showed that we should, at least, question the value of saving $100. Do you go with what you know or save $100 on something that any reasonable person should question after seeing the video?

At Eaton they had INDEPENDENT tests done to compare the Truetrac and Eaton Posi to Randy's knock-off Posi. The test was designed by GM and 400 cycles was considered 'Pass'. The Truetracs completed the test at 600 cycles, the Eaton Posi's had 1 unit pass and another fail at 510 (IIRC) and the Yukon units failed at 203 (IIRC). These tests were considered by the test lab to be representative of product quality and THEY considered the test group size to be sufficient to make accurate assumptions (yes assumptions) about product quality and durability.
Check here http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/IndependentTesting/index.htm

The quality control companies like Eaton and ARB have are far in excess of anything that the Indian or Chinese companies can provide.

Don't get me wrong, there may be a time that the Zip quality is up to the competition. Remember that ARB has made numerous design changes to get it up to today's quality. Products evolve and I imagine the Zip will too. Someday it may be worth considering but not today.

well, as i'm not arguing the fact that the arb is stronger.

in this video, they say the axle shaft is virtually undamaged.(when the chinese knockoff broke)
However, if you look closely, the shaft is twisted at the splines.

Yeah, in both videos the axle splines were twisted. I wouldn't use either of them.
In testing products at Eaton, we found that impact testing was a more accurate measure of strength and durability. But, that testing also would have shown the Zip to be even worse. Pinion gear (spider) and case strength get a far greater workout during impact testing and both failed miserably during the ARB twist test. BTW- the spider gears were the failure points on the Dura Grip (Yukon's Eaton Posi knock off) tests too. That test wasn't an impact test but simulated cornering etc.

This is funny coming from you.....Mr. i will only ever run detroits . Gave me **** for having air lockers. Whats others have are junk until B rad gets it then they are cool.....

back up bucko. I never said arbs were cool. I said they are way to expensive and finnicky. They have too many parts (lines compressor seals etc) and related issues.

Big difference between a ARB (brand) and a selectable locker (style).

I bought a complete hipinion elocker for about what a detroit will cost me for just the carrier.

I can get a lopinion elocer for about what a lockrite costs.

So yes, I still wont buy a 1200 arb that is as picky as a nordstoms woman.:kissmyass:

back up bucko. I never said arbs were cool. I said they are way to expensive and finnicky. They have too many parts (lines compressor seals etc) and related issues.

Big difference between a ARB (brand) and a selectable locker (style).

I bought a complete hipinion elocker for about what a detroit will cost me for just the carrier.

I can get a lopinion elocer for about what a lockrite costs.

So yes, I still wont buy a 1200 arb that is as picky as a nordstoms woman.:kissmyass:

Ok.....Can i get out of the corner now?:booo:

Latest posts