• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Argh. Rounded fill plug.

Little Red Zuk

So I rounded my T-case fill plug last night. That fawker is TIGHT! Is there a tool/socket meant to get something like that out? BA told me about some weird socket with almost needle bearings in it, but has no idea where to get one. Any ideas, or other avenues?

On my toy I stripped it out so I just welded a nut on there that was thicker than an 1/8" and got a good bite put the wrench on it no more problem

Did you try a nice large set of channel-lock type pliers (whatever they're called) with big teeth? They usually bite pretty good...

CrustyJeep said:
Did you try a nice large set of channel-lock type pliers (whatever they're called) with big teeth? They usually bite pretty good...

Yup, just chewed up a bit more.

Going to check around a couple stores after work, try a pipe wrench, and if that doesn't work, have someone bring by a mini-mig to weld on a nut.

Trying to avoid the welding option, as I gots no welder:redneck:

Sears/Craftsman sells these:

Little better angle:

I think they also sell them separately in the store.

If you can't get it, PM or Email me. I've got a set of the Craftsman sockets shown above and I'm in Everett.

Little Red Zuk said:
HAH! I got that li'l fawker!!!!!

Thanks for the tip crash!!!

(of course had I not frustrated myself, I should have figgered it out.)

Ok....

So what happened? Crash didn't even post in this thread, so what was the 'tip'?

Little Red Zuk said:
HAH! I got that li'l fawker!!!!!

Thanks for the tip crash!!!

(of course had I not frustrated myself, I should have figgered it out.)

Glad it worked for ya :D

The biggest problem with the stock 24m drain/fill plugs is the fact of how shallow the head is. And typicly what happens is when you use a wrench or socket with a rachet you side load the head causing it to pop off and causing the head to become rounded. So what I do is use an impact, holding it tighly against the plug and tap the button on the impact and pop--off it comes. Now this can be quite messy if you have no self control with the button. But its a tip that works quite nicely.....

Well, since the plug was pretty rounded because I had been using 12-pt wrench and socket, then vice grips and pipe wrench still no dice. I grabbed a 15/16 6-point socket out of my junk tools, and hammered the fawker on, peeling back some metal from the socket and plug, then hit it with the impact. Ziiiip and done. No oil in it meant no mess too.

And Bunk....:flipoff:

archer1965 said:
I use a propane torch to heat a stuck plug and it comes off with very little force.

But thats the hard way. Now with the new process auto t-cases in the chevs with the early 1/4" square drive plug--you have to heat the case or the plug will just round out and NEVER come out,lol.....