• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

atlas 4 spd question

dr drae

Just looking for opinions, wide or narrow range Atlas 4 spd and more importantly - why?

1:1, 2.72:1, 3.8:1, 10.34:1
(156:1 final ratio)

vs

1:1, 2:1, 2.72:1, 5.44:1
(82:1 final ratio)

This is going in a '97 XJ w/4.0, AW4 (2.804 1st gear), 5.38 gears on 38's

dr drae said:
Just looking for opinions, wide or narrow range Atlas 4 spd and more importantly - why?

1:1, 2.72:1, 3.8:1, 10.34:1
(156:1 final ratio)

vs

1:1, 2:1, 2.72:1, 5.44:1
(82:1 final ratio)

This is going in a '97 XJ w/4.0, AW4 (2.804 1st gear), 5.38 gears on 38's

I'm buyin' the 10 to 1

And I never plan to use the low-low option. But my CJ had a scout D300 with the 2.72 ratio, and it was dead on perfect for trail drivin'. My YJ has a 4.3 low range Atlas, and it's a little too low, as I'm poppin' up into hi-range for any speedier sections. So I like the 2.7 and the 3.8 gears individually and this one gives me both.

When I had my CJ, before I had a scout box, it came with a 2.0 low range, and that just ISN'T low enough. And the 5.4 ratio is too low for trails. So, I just can't see the value in this one.

Regarding the desire to go rock crawlin' (which isn't a dedicated thing), I'll take the 10. to 1 for the little that I do.

I am getting the 10 ratio too. But the reason I am doing it is because of my 4cyl engine. I figure I can use the lower ratio for more fun due to the small engine.

TreeClimber said:
I'm buyin' the 10 to 1

And I never plan to use the low-low option. But my CJ had a scout D300 with the 2.72 ratio, and it was dead on perfect for trail drivin'. My YJ has a 4.3 low range Atlas, and it's a little too low, as I'm poppin' up into hi-range for any speedier sections. So I like the 2.7 and the 3.8 gears individually and this one gives me both.

When I had my CJ, before I had a scout box, it came with a 2.0 low range, and that just ISN'T low enough. And the 5.4 ratio is too low for trails. So, I just can't see the value in this one.

Regarding the desire to go rock crawlin' (which isn't a dedicated thing), I'll take the 10. to 1 for the little that I do.

Very well said Tony. That's exactly why I bought the 10 to 1 to put in my Grand. It's the perfect blend. I just can't wait to get my rig done so I can go out and play with all the new toys.

When I get an Atlas down the road, I'm sure it'll be the 10:1. It just gives too many more options than the closer ratio one. Especially for extreme situations.

...and since I can only go to 5.38s in my 14 bolt :mad:

The 10:1 is the only way that makes sense.

In my rig I have; 1:1, 2.72:1 (klune), 4:1 (D300 w/ 4:1), 10.88:1.

You can do it all with these ratios.:;

10 to 1 is too low, you will never use it. if you do you will probly just roll it going off something where you cant hit the gas and recover

my $.02

5 to 1 is still way low

Roccrawler said:
10 to 1 is too low, you will never use it. if you do you will probly just roll it going off something where you cant hit the gas and recover

my $.02

5 to 1 is still way low

It's all a matter of opinion and driving style. Most of the buggies and pro's use the 3.8 case, Which is why I choose the 10 to 1 range because it has the 2.72 and the 3.8. Yes, 10 to 1 is really low but that doesn't mean you have the use first gear with the 10 to 1. There's alway 2nd and 3 which will give you a much more usable final crawl ratio. If is was going to do XRRA then I would have gone with the closer ratio unit. Unlike Ricky Bobby (I wanna go fast), "I wanna go slow".

I'm starting to think I'm going to go narrow range. There's been more than once that I'd like a ratio b/w my current 1:1 and 2.72:1, and 5.44:1 is twice what I'm already used to which already feels really low. Interesting point Roccrawler (being able to power out), hadn't considered that...

Even with a 10 to one if I were to put it in 5th and hammer down, that would be a 39 to one ratio. I think that would be sufficent to power out.

KarlVP said:
Even with a 10 to one if I were to put it in 5th and hammer down, that would be a 39 to one ratio. I think that would be sufficent to power out.

then whats the point..

I would take the 5.44 to 1 with 5.38 gears on 38's over taking a option of only 3.8 or 10 to1

5.44 will be great in the rocks and 2.7 great in the slippery goo

otherwise the 3.8 isnt all that low and 10 to 1 is no good unless your in 5th gear

Troy is right. I have 8:1 and rarely ever use it and that's with a auto, a wide ratio stick would be rediculous. 4:1 is low enough for most anything.

Roccrawler said:
then whats the point..

I would take the 5.44 to 1 with 5.38 gears on 38's over taking a option of only 3.8 or 10 to1

5.44 will be great in the rocks and 2.7 great in the slippery goo

otherwise the 3.8 isnt all that low and 10 to 1 is no good unless your in 5th gear

The point is, for my tiny 90 Horsepower 4 cyl.... in first gear that would give me ~180 to 1 ratio for goofing off.

The 4.3 is good for general wheeling and the 2.7 is good for gettin it done in the fun stuff.

So if I was in my 10:1 ratio in first gear and got into trouble, I could just put it in 5th, hammer down and power out.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

KarlVP said:
The point is, for my tiny 90 Horsepower 4 cyl.... in first gear that would give me ~180 to 1 ratio for goofing off.

The 4.3 is good for general wheeling and the 2.7 is good for gettin it done in the fun stuff.

So if I was in my 10:1 ratio in first gear and got into trouble, I could just put it in 5th, hammer down and power out.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Thats quite a story :cool:

TreeClimber said:
I'm buyin' the 10 to 1

Re-read what Tony said....... you will probably never actually use the 10:1.

However the 2.72:1 is ideal for trail use.

3.8 or 4:1 is great for the rocks.

:hi:

Exactly. There too focused on the 10 to 1. Just because you have it doesn't mean that is the only thing your going to use.