• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Auto Parts - OEM or Parts Store?

Freeride

Nuzzy's thread got me thinking about this. What are the opinions about buying general replacement parts, like tune up parts, alternators, water pumps, sensors, etc. Are parts store places like Schucks and Autozone lower quality? How about Napa? Are OEM factory parts worth it?

I tend to buy dealer parts because it gives me a warm feelings and peace of mind, and I generally despise parts store monkeys.

I buy parts store crap just because its cheaper, and usually has a better warranty. My alternator for instance came from Schucks. I paid like $80 for it, and it has a lifetime warranty. Ive gone wheeling and drowned that thing so many times that it finally got so packed with mud it went out (at least, I assume thats why). Pulled it out, drove 5 minutes vs. 30 minutes to the nearest dealer to take it back, they handed me a new one, and on my way I went.

A lot of the time its just easier, more convienant, and cheaper just to get the stuff from a local parts store. I mean, a lot of the stuff from a parts store IS OEM, just not from the dealer. OEM is original equipment manufacturer, obviously. But just because you're buying it from the Toyota dealer doesnt mean Toyota MADE it. They source out companies to build the parts for them, like in my example coming up, Aisin.

Take clutch hydraulics for instance. I see parts ordered from the dealer through work all the time, and they are identical to the ones from Napa, same brand (Aisin), everything. The biggest difference you would see in a case like that is the stuff from the dealer would be new, whereas the commonly bought items from the parts stores are going to be rebuilt, although they do sell new too. So, either buy a new one from the dealer for X amount, or buy one from Napa thats probably closer anyway for amount Z which is less, and they come from the same manufacturer and theyre both brand new. Hmm... Thats a tough one for me :D

In summary, I like to buy OEM, just not from the dealer :flipoff:

~T.J.

Last edited:
I'll take a parts store over a dealership 1. for warranty, 2. for price, 3. for availability. The stealership usually wont stock the part you need so they have to order it and that takes weeks sometimes. A parts store IF they have to order it is usually the next day. :cool:

Price, availability, and customer service make it a no-brainer for me. I go to either NAPA or another local chain called Jerry's Auto Supply for everything. I've probably bought parts from every major dealer parts dept. in Wenatchee, and never had the same level of service or parts availability at any of them compared to the local parts stores.

If I absolutely have to (meaning the parts stores can't get me the parts), I will go to the dealer... but sometimes in that case, I'll go online first and search as well, since I know I'm probably gonna wait for the parts anyway.

If I absolutely have to (meaning the parts stores can't get me the parts), I will go to the dealer... but sometimes in that case, I'll go online first and search as well, since I know I'm probably gonna wait for the parts anyway.
Yeah, forgot to mention that. I go to the dealer as a LAST resort.

~T.J.

I go with a parts store as well. mostly because of customer service and availability. plenty of ford dealerships close by, but they never stock anything of us and are a night mare to try and order parts from.

Little Red Zuk said:
I just sneak around crash's garage. :flipoff:

:D :D :D

Sale in shed #3 today only :D

It depends on what the part is. After being in the biz for how long I have--I have figured out what is good OEM/Aftermarket. A good example is bearings/U-joints ect. Same parts are available at a local parts house and alot cheaper. Some electronic parts I prefer OEM because they are indeed a better product...

sad thing is, most parts I end up buying, I already have. I just have such a mess in my shop right now that it's easier to just buy a new one then to try and find one in the mess

SoCal Redneck said:
sad thing is, most parts I end up buying, I already have. I just have such a mess in my shop right now that it's easier to just buy a new one then to try and find one in the mess

OK I'll come over to your place and dig around the mess. I'm sure you wont even know its missing:redneck:

i usually hit the parts slinger except for head gaskets, generally i go to the dealer for those. of course, there's the dealer-only parts too.

Places like Schucks have life time warrantys but the life time of the parts they sell is only about six months. So if you like to keep changing the same part over & over go to Schucks. Also most of the people working at these places are making minimum wage and don't know jack about cars and trucks. If they can't read it on the computer they can't help you.

I worked at an Autozone for a while. They have the same stuff the dealerships have. Denso Alternators and Starters Ford Motocraft parts, it's all the same crap.

What the parts stores do to make thier money, is remaunfacture all the cores that people bring back in. They can sell a starter for $150 and rebuild it for about $10. Then sell it to another guy for $150 and so the process continues.

I always shop there because the warranty is better, plus I know the system so it makes it easier for me to get my crap.

And the excuse that "the guys behind the counter don't know ****" is true no matter where you go. I would like to say though, when I did work for AZ, we always had someone there in the store that could help. Even with the oddball stuff.

I've always gone to Schucks or Napa for ease and simplicity. I've never really had any problems with them personally. I don't expect to get experts though...

I like Napa. I have never had a problem with their parts and at least the guys I talk with seem to know a little more than the average joe. But I have had to go to the dealership for some specific parts napa doesnt carry.

As far as being on topic, I use a lot of Napa. If I need OEM Zuk parts, I go through places like Hawk Suzuki or Trail Tough, just because Suzuki dealer parts guys know squat about Samurais.

I only go to Schmucks, or Vato Zone for fluids, and car wash products. Because then I don't have to try to explain to the guy behind the counter what I want.

Little Red Zuk said:
I just sneak around crash's garage. :flipoff:
Damn it thats where all my sh!t is going!:flipoff:

I buy genuine cheapest internet price with free shipping could be oem might not be, unless I need it quick then I settle for SMucks......

I use 95% aftermarket parts at my shop, and about 5% dealer. With 10 years in the business I know what works and what doesnt.

PORTER said:
I use 95% aftermarket parts at my shop, and about 5% dealer. With 10 years in the business I know what works and what doesnt.
Thats the way my shop is. But then they charge you for dealer prices :mad: Talk about making a profit!

~T.J.

How often do you guys end up with crap when you buy stuff from the auto parts stores? I bought some remand calipers for an old BMW from Shucks. They had to be ordered so i waited a couple days, fine. I get them home and on the car, then while bleeding the brakes i notice one is leaking. After closer inspection while someone is standing on the brakes i could see a tiny stream of fluid pissing out of a microscopic hole in the side of the caliper.:wtf: I took it back and they gave me a new one no problem (after another couple days). Anyways, my point is, do they not test stuff after it is "remanufactured"? A simple pressure test would have caught this before it got to the customer...

Latest posts