• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Auto Transmissions in crawlers

monstaru

So i see that alot of folks are running the 4l60e.How many run an AW4 properly cooled and such?What about TH400?

REgardless I will have to make it fit.So I am gathering intel and opinions.
cheers

What exactly are you asking?

I run a 4L60E with Trans-Go manual kit (allows to hold 1st and 2nd, but retains auto operation in D or OD) and have beat the living snot out of it for a couple years now.

I've also run the AW4 and so do many guys in my Jeep club, it's a very durable trans. with some decent aftermarket support as far as shifters and such.

Th400 is very bulletproof and strong, but is obviously only a 3 speed.

been beating my toyota auto for a couple years and still going great. the auto has 26 spline and manual is 23 spline. its weird.

Beat the hell out of my turbo 350. They are very forgiving on the drivetrain. I'll be running a turbo 350 in my buggy as well.

I beat the poop outa a AW4 in my old XJ truggy...as in two years of full throttle "first to reverse" type action. I dissabled the nuetral safety switch so it would start in any gear (very dangerous but very exciting:redneck:), I ground the shifter gates to make the 1 to R easier and ran a big ass cooler.......tranny never flinched:cool:

My th 350 is pretty slow from first to reverse with a reverse manual valve body in it, and i do wish i had a fourth gear as i got plenty left after third is wound out.

My th 350 is pretty slow from first to reverse with a reverse manual valve body in it.

Even sitting on flat ground .......or only on a vert..........cuz you want that bish to be snappy:eeek:. How over full is the tranny,what stall TC, does it quicken up with the rpm's up? Your gonna smash that fancy hood if'n you don't get that sorted out:beer:

I beat the poop outa a AW4 in my old XJ truggy...as in two years of full throttle "first to reverse" type action. I dissabled the nuetral safety switch so it would start in any gear (very dangerous but very exciting:redneck:), I ground the shifter gates to make the 1 to R easier and ran a big ass cooler.......tranny never flinched:cool:

AWESOME to hear..........welp, I was leaning towards trying the Aw4 anyway.I had read a few things about people not liking them.But I think I'd take a bit of info a little more serious from here.Because of abuse use.:redneck:.
f'ing awesome.

Sorry Avanteone, I am figuring on mating an auto transmission behind a Subaru engine.I have the option already to mate a W or R series tranny from a guy in Ohio.(BIll Hincher).
I would like an auto from the get go, and the Subie autos, are pretty weak with no aftermarket support, or options.
I Know of aguy that has a THM350 to an EJ series motor.So i have seen that.But I really want a Jeep trans, and the stockish option of Dana300, and or eventually an Atlas( I know , I know trying to plan,right? :looser:))
cheers

If you plan on clocking it flat, you might ask Mauler, or someone if you can with than transmission. I looked into clocking a 300 flat on my th 350, but because of clearance issues with the front driveline, and the tranny, I couldn't do it.

Even sitting on flat ground .......or only on a vert..........cuz you want that bish to be snappy:eeek:. How over full is the tranny,what stall TC, does it quicken up with the rpm's up? Your gonna smash that fancy hood if'n you don't get that sorted out:beer:

yeah on flat ground and full. im thinking something is wrong inside. it get seriously worse when low.

stock stall, yes RPMs help.

Big coolers and I always put a deep tranny pan with baffles in available with an extended pick up. Seems to help when you're really tipped.

I'm beating the crap out of an AW4 with a baja shifter. Just switch from stick to auto a few months ago and have had it on about 6 trips so far with no issues. And I'm not scared of the skinny peddle.

I'm beating the crap out of an AW4 with a baja shifter. Just switch from stick to auto a few months ago and have had it on about 6 trips so far with no issues. And I'm not scared of the skinny peddle.

Sweet.Thats great to hear.What would you guesstimate your horsepower at Joop?

250?? I dont know I never dyno'd it. It's a 4.6 inline 6 stroker with GM TBI efi. .. Mine has a lot of low end torque.

You're probably well under 200

Stock, it was something like 120 HP. Stroking it helped, but I doubt it doubled.

Heck, my 350 TBI motor stock was probably only 200, and when I changed cams, exhaust, and put on the bigger throttle body, I probably only boosted my engine to 250.

sweet, so I 'll be right on par with 250 stock!:awesomework:
Trying to make a deal on a Dana300 right now, Should be getting an AW4 bellhousing from TRashy this weekend.Then to go get a trans from the yard.

I can start fiddlin with makin an adapter setup for it to fit my engine.
cheers

You're probably well under 200

Stock, it was something like 120 HP. Stroking it helped, but I doubt it doubled.

Heck, my 350 TBI motor stock was probably only 200, and when I changed cams, exhaust, and put on the bigger throttle body, I probably only boosted my engine to 250.

Yeh you're probably right. Maybe I'm around 160. I don't know. Never really cared to check. It has plenty of power for what I need. Having an auto made it much easier to play on the rocks.

Last edited: