• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Autoenginuity Scanner Tool for Ford 7.3

L

lowbudgetjunk

I have gotten lucky on diagnosing a few problems on my 2000 7.3. Instead of getting lucky, I would like to get a good scan tool to be able to diagnose and clear codes. Buzz test and additional features I don't even know I need are a plus.

I have been eyeballing the auto ingenuity scanner but don't know enough to even be dangerous.

Thoughts?

Re: Scanner Tool for 7.3

Torque app for an android phone and a Bluetooth obdll "dongle" from Amazon.
Dongle plugs into the diagnostic port and operates wirelessly to your phone. Let the unit in the truck because you will always have your phone. $5 app and $25 for the dongle. Works on all obdll vehicles so it is really handy.
No buzz or injector contribution test though.

Does it work with the iPhone? Might be an on the fly tool to keep handy.

I think the app is android only.but not 100% sure.

Get an edge CTS. It can be used as a scanner and gauges driving down the road. You do not have to use the edge programming either, you can just use it as gauges and scanner.

I'll check with Ryan for sure. No one else with any thoughts?

I've tried three different OBII dongles(from amazon) to run with Torque Pro and can't get them to work on anything other than a Chrysler Product. Tried on both of my Suburbans(99 and 02), my E350 (7.3 diesel) adn various other cars, seems to work l fine on a POS Dakota. Has anyone actutaly had Torque run with a Ford Diesel? I know the scan tool programming for the diesel is different.

It works fine on my 2002 7.3. I can read live actuation pressure, temps and manifold pressure ect. no problem.There are different software programs for each make that you may need. I'm on vacation now and can check on it when I get home.

I just bought the AutoEnginuity with Ford Bundle last month to diagnose my 2001 7.3 and have played with it a few times in my 2003 Excursion as well. So far I really like it, but haven't used it enough to reach the full capabilities it has to offer. It has the capability of reading/monitoring multiple sensors on the vehicle and can read clear codes fro many different systems. When I was trying it out on the Excursion it pulled up like 549 different sensors and even pointed me to which backup sensor has a fault in the circuit (always knew there was something going on with it as it seemed to work sometimes and not other times). I forget right off hand how many sensors it pulled up on the 2001 7.3 truck but is was more than I would have imagined. Has several different key on and key off test you can run which was a help in diagnosing my 2001 7.3 since it wouldn't start. For me since I tend to work on my vehicles anyway and owning two Fords I justified the purchase by factoring in having the 2001 towed to a reputable shop or just throwing parts at it as well as any future needs that might arise needing to get these trucks scanned. Plus it offers the expand-ability to other vehicles with the same precision if needed at an affordable price. It is suppose to read many generic codes without having to have the manufacture specific enhancements, but I have not tried it on anything besides the two Fords. I had a laptop that wasn't being used already so all I had to purchase was the software.

You can also save your vehicles and data related to each vehicle along with your notes. I have only used it enough to know how to be dangerous so far, but was worth the investment for me.

BustedKnucklefilms said:
Can u not see and clear trouble codes on the bullydog pup?

There are just a few extras I would like if I am heading out long distances. Looking to head down to South Florida and just want the piece of mind.

Yellowyj said:
I just bought the AutoEnginuity with Ford Bundle last month to diagnose my 2001 7.3 and have played with it a few times in my 2003 Excursion as well. So far I really like it, but haven't used it enough to reach the full capabilities it has to offer. It has the capability of reading/monitoring multiple sensors on the vehicle and can read clear codes fro many different systems. When I was trying it out on the Excursion it pulled up like 549 different sensors and even pointed me to which backup sensor has a fault in the circuit (always knew there was something going on with it as it seemed to work sometimes and not other times). I forget right off hand how many sensors it pulled up on the 2001 7.3 truck but is was more than I would have imagined. Has several different key on and key off test you can run which was a help in diagnosing my 2001 7.3 since it wouldn't start. For me since I tend to work on my vehicles anyway and owning two Fords I justified the purchase by factoring in having the 2001 towed to a reputable shop or just throwing parts at it as well as any future needs that might arise needing to get these trucks scanned. Plus it offers the expand-ability to other vehicles with the same precision if needed at an affordable price. It is suppose to read many generic codes without having to have the manufacture specific enhancements, but I have not tried it on anything besides the two Fords. I had a laptop that wasn't being used already so all I had to purchase was the software.

You can also save your vehicles and data related to each vehicle along with your notes. I have only used it enough to know how to be dangerous so far, but was worth the investment for me.

That it what I was looking for, real world use. There is so much more to this diesel than my brain is capable of knowing and I don't want to be the one screwing it up. I have a couple of laptops that are collecting dust; might just pull the trigger on this one.

$413.95 delivered to the door. I will post up my findings and whether or not it is worth the coin. I am as shade tree and cheap as it gets. I go by my gut and trusted fellow mechanics. For me to jump two feet deep into scanner land is a pretty big deal. I didn't have but a little more than that into my last trail rig.

3uru7e2y.jpg

y4u5ybu6.jpg

e6y2yme7.jpg

Just came in today. I am usually underwhelmed with packaging and quality of homegrown companies stepping into a big market. This has great packaging and a guidebook that seems fairly straightforward. So far so good. I'm gonna tinker with it on the laptop tonight and hook it up tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well and the packaging isn't the best part of the tool.

Very interested in how it works out. I use a very similar program to communicate with Caterpillar equipment. If this is somewhat close to operate as our ET program I may spring for it as well. I have zero intentions of parting ways with my 2002 7.3 4x4.
I could see this opening up a few options for me. The cylinder contribution test or cutout test are very very useful.

I had a customer today with a complaint of low power under load, 5 mins on the laptop and I was able to tell him that his #6 injector had failed mechanically but was electrically fine. He had a 17 % power loss because he was only running on 5 cylinders.

I have no interwebs at home but require one update for my specific truck. No issues with that, actually kinda pleased it tells me exactly the update I need to get. Tomorrow I get to diagnosing everything that I can on the truck.