• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Automotive Machine Shop ?????

I use Engine Rebuilders for all my machine work and they have always done me right. They have probably done 20-30 sets of cylinder heads for me over the past 4-5 years. They do stock and performance builds and I know they have built a ton of engines for the Dale Jarrett driving experience at Talladega.
7315 Gadsden highway, Trussville AL 35173 205-655-3777

Jon most us Skyline folk use Market Street Performance in Scottsboro. Never had any issues using him on 10+ Toyota engines. Only thing to watch from him is the wrist pins, he tends to get them too loose for our liking.

I have built dozens of 22r motors. Precision automotive has done all the machine work for me for over a decade

not sure of the name but there used to be a machine shop in Decatur on moulton st right beside eddys auto parts

bamatoy said:
Jon most us Skyline folk use Market Street Performance in Scottsboro. Never had any issues using him on 10+ Toyota engines. Only thing to watch from him is the wrist pins, he tends to get them too loose for our liking.
Talked to John yesterday and he was very informative and seemed to know what he was talking about. I have a couple more places to call but he is definitely one to consider.
Southern Cylinder head was also good to talk to but was a bit more expensive. Then again I wouldnt have to drive to Scottsvegas ..
Going to call R&R, Praters, and Precision in Trussville today to see what they can offer.
Thanks again !

J/Cope79 said:
Talked to John yesterday and he was very informative and seemed to know what he was talking about. I have a couple more places to call but he is definitely one to consider.
Southern Cylinder head was also good to talk to but was a bit more expensive. Then again I wouldnt have to drive to Scottsvegas ..
Going to call R&R, Praters, and Precision in Trussville today to see what they can offer.
Thanks again !

Call Wheeler Machine in Cullman. I had them do some 22r work they were friendly and on time.

kmcminn said:
Call Wheeler Machine in Cullman. I had them do some 22r work they were friendly and on time.

I'm gonna have to give them a minor ding. I've used them before but this last time, it took them 4 months to clean & deck my block and install new freeze plugs and cam bearings. I know they have been around a looooooong time but they also didn't ask or answer any questions for me or offer any advice about the build like I would expect a good machine shop to do since it was my first full build. They just did whatever work I asked them too do but they did it well as far as I can tell.

Alright, after calling several shops and even visiting R&R I have my choice narrowed down to either R&R in Huntsville or Market Street Performance in Scottsboro. The prices all seem to be pretty much the same wherever I called and it really just convenience and turnaround times. I really hate to spend this much money on a 4cyl but I dont really have a choice if I want this project out of my shop. So with that being sad , does anyone else have any other advice or suggestions?

J/Cope79 said:
Alright, after calling several shops and even visiting R&R I have my choice narrowed down to either R&R in Huntsville or Market Street Performance in Scottsboro. The prices all seem to be pretty much the same wherever I called and it really just convenience and turnaround times. I really hate to spend this much money on a 4cyl but I dont really have a choice if I want this project out of my shop. So with that being sad , does anyone else have any other advice or suggestions?

2rz/3rz swap...

J/Cope79 said:
I have thought about this as well but it seems like it would be almost as expensive.

yeah they aren't cheap, and even finding a whole Tacoma wrecked and running that has less than 300K miles is very rare.

Sometimes you can find 2wd 3rz 4Runners on CL and such for under $2k.

yea i have found a few at some auction lots for insurance companies but i am not sure how to acquire a vehicle from a place like Copart.

J/Cope79 said:
yea i have found a few at some auction lots for insurance companies but i am not sure how to acquire a vehicle from a place like Copart.

You have a dealers licence to buy anything from copart or IAA.

blacksheep10 said:
State by state. One their site it says who can buy. in some states people off the street can buy a salvage vehicle. Some are dealer only, some are broker states

My bad. Well AL is dealer only.

J/Cope79 said:
No I dont have a dealers license. Have thought about getting one but wasnt sure if its worth the trouble.

In AL, it's not really worth getting a dealers licence unless you plan on selling a good bit of vehicles.

You're better off getting a buddy who has a dealers licence to buy it for you and give him a couple hundred bucks.

Well with all things considered unless a wrecked donor vehicle shows up before the week is over I guess the lil 22re will get worked over. I was half tempted to do a 4.8 or 5.3 LS swap but figured that would snowball into something much worse than this has already turned into. Hell even a older 5.0 swap would be pretty sweet.

have you spoken to Lane Culver about it? i know he has some tools at his place, not sure who he gets to do the major machine work though?

J/Cope79 said:
Well with all things considered unless a wrecked donor vehicle shows up before the week is over I guess the lil 22re will get worked over. I was half tempted to do a 4.8 or 5.3 LS swap but figured that would snowball into something much worse than this has already turned into. Hell even a older 5.0 swap would be pretty sweet.