• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

avg crawl ratio ?

You need to stop using online calculators and use a real calculator. Just multiply all of the gear ratios together....For the transmission only use the lowest gear...

For the torque converter debate I've learned from experience that the lower your gearset is the less give the torque converter will have. Once you hit about 100:1 or so with a stock converter it's effectively 1:1 and you no longer need to factor it in.

Cool thanks dident figure in tire but says 302:1:awesomework:

Yes I have high range.

I've substituted a low crawl with torque and anger......results vary.

Jeep

AX-5 Tranny
Atlas 4 Speed 10:1
4.56 diffs.

186:1

I rarely use that on trail wheelin, but in rocks with my 2.5L four squirrels of fury, it is nice.

Normal trail wheelin I use the 3.8:1 in the xfer case which gives me about 70:1 ratio.

TJ, 5 speed, 4:56 gears, 37" tires, I'm around 79:1 which is not bad for what I wheel, but it is a little high when I get into the rocks or tight spots.

What calculator did you use? I want to use that one!:D
I've tried 2 different ones and come up with 50.65, and 50.8.:booo:
TJ (97), 5 speed (ax15), NP 231, 4:88 gears, 37" tires (not a factor) = 50.8
Maybe you forgot to mention your 4:1 kit or something.

Last edited:
RubyDoo had 3.8 V-6 with 4.26 first gear manual trans, 4 to 1 transfer case, 5.13 gears on front and rear diffs with 35's that equaled 93 to 1 final

speaking of crawl ratios has anyone done rim rock specifically chicken **** and blue slide with an auto???

Yes. It's much easier.

1st Jeep, CJ5, T18, Dana 300, 4.27 gears in the axles on 35s.
Current Jeep, YJ, TH400, Atlas, 4.56 gears in the axles on 37s

Going uphill, the auto is able to shift gears to maintain tire speed when needed
Going downhill, plenty of compression braking due to 4.3 low gear in the Atlas.