• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

axle build?

shawn213

I currently have toyota axles with six shooter knuckles and dirty 30 axles in them . I not wanting the wait of tons but i can break a pinion gear if i call on it very hard. I am looking for some opinions on what to build buggy only weighs 3000lbs.

I feel your pain bro! going thru same thing here, i got the best stuff in mine, and if you look at it wrong something breaks! toyota stuff dont like stickys and weight

There's really nothing worth a **** in between yota's and tons.......well theres aftermarket bling ford 9" stuff but it's really expensive

Can move to the Tacoma / Tundra 8.4" third that has a girdle on the carrier bearing caps if you want to stick with Toyota. HP front third will be stronger than LP front third. Could also go to the Land Cruiser 9.5" third.

jordan7118 said:
Can move to the Tacoma / Tundra 8.4" third that has a girdle on the carrier bearing caps if you want to stick with Toyota. HP front third will be stronger than LP front third. Could also go to the Land Cruiser 9.5" third.

I think He is breaking pinion's.....the LC diffs have the same 27 spline pinion as minitruck, the taco axle has a bigger 30 spline pinion but the same suckass 30 spline axle shafts

Rohlingoffroad said:
I ran a hp 3rd in the front of mine when I had a Toyota buggy it weighed 3500lbs with 39in boggers and I never broke it had dual cases and 4:88s
I ran a v6 diff in the front with taco rear on 39s and used to beat the **** out of them. Buy good gears and pay to have them setup.

My IFS Toyota rearend and FJ80 front has held up pretty damn good with 39" BFG stickies, built 4 banger, dual cases, and 5:29's. My IFS rear has one stock shaft and one chromoly shaft, front has Longfield chromolys. Bought it like that about this time last year and have wheeled the **** out of it and never heard a whimper from either end.

BUG-E J said:
I ran a v6 diff in the front with taco rear on 39s and used to beat the **** out of them.

That was me for 3 years or so, then it all went to hell and i started breaking **** every time out

TacomaJD said:
My IFS Toyota rearend and FJ80 front has held up pretty damn good with 39" BFG stickies, built 4 banger, dual cases, and 5:29's. My IFS rear has one stock shaft and one chromoly shaft, front has Longfield chromolys. Bought it like that about this time last year and have wheeled the **** out of it and never heard a whimper from either end.

It's amazing to me that it's all holding up so well :dunno:

Neal3000 said:
It's amazing to me that it's all holding up so well :dunno:

Me too! Maybe I just have a super keen sense of when to stomp the clutch before it gets bad enough to break :dunno: molaugh That's the main reason I like a 5 speed :dblthumb:

Neal3000 said:
That was me for 3 years or so, then it all went to hell and i started breaking **** every time out

I think yota housings must get tweaked somehow... I've seen it a ton of times, after one bad breakage it's like everything beween the wheels all the sudden becomes made of glass and breaks everytime out.

I think a semifloat 9.5 and 80 front hybrid is the way to go. You get the big ass 80 birfs (which with the new 30/30 longs are just as strong as 30 spline 60 chromos) and a 9.5 ring gear.

muddinmetal said:
I think yota housings must get tweaked somehow... I've seen it a ton of times, after one bad breakage it's like everything beween the wheels all the sudden becomes made of glass and breaks everytime out.

I think a semifloat 9.5 and 80 front hybrid is the way to go. You get the big ass 80 birfs (which with the new 30/30 longs are just as strong as 30 spline 60 chromos) and a 9.5 ring gear.

I agree 100% with your first statement, i launched mine out at Moab and it broke something every single time i went afterwards. Toyota housings are made out of 3/16 sheetmetal.

30/30 spline longs have been around forever, and they are probably just as strong or stronger than 30 spline 60 stuff but 35 spline 60 stuff costs about the same and is way stronger.

The 9.5 3rd has the same pinion as the mini 3rd and yes the ring gear has a bigger diameter but it is about half the thickness of the 8"...........and i'm really not convinced that 80 series frontends are worth fooling with, yes you get a bigger birf but it's still 30 spline, and have you ever seen a minitruck sized longfield with a broken birf? They pretty much always break at the splines so where's the upgrade? plus you have to deal with the weird knuckles, expensive highsteer and the scalloped hub flanges that you can't add dowels to.

Everyone worries about the extra weight of going to tons but i am convinced it's worth it for the extra strength and reliability. I've wheeled with the same two friends (both on tons) since about 2006 or so and there has never been an obstacle that i went up that they couldn't because of weight or clearance. Mainly i have spent a lot of time riding with them because my rig was on the trailer after i broke my toilet paper axles trying to follow them up stuff :****:

I AGREE WITH NEAL3000.....KEEP WHEELING WITH 39S AND YOTA AXLES AND YOU WILL SPEND MORE TIME WRENCHING THAN WHEELING, REASON I AM ON TONS NOW......PLUS THE COST, I GOT A 60/14 SET WITH NEW 5.13 GEARS AND SOLID DIFF COVERS FOR $1500.....I COULDNT KEEP KNUCKLES TOGETHER, NEVER BROKE A RING AND PINION BUT I ALWAYS RAN 4.10S, AND I NEVER RAN A TIRE BIGGER THAN A 36

nissanheathen said:
I AGREE WITH NEAL3000.....KEEP WHEELING WITH 39S AND YOTA AXLES AND YOU WILL SPEND MORE TIME WRENCHING THAN WHEELING, REASON I AM ON TONS NOW......PLUS THE COST, I GOT A 60/14 SET WITH NEW 5.13 GEARS AND SOLID DIFF COVERS FOR $1500.....I COULDNT KEEP KNUCKLES TOGETHER, NEVER BROKE A RING AND PINION BUT I ALWAYS RAN 4.10S, AND I NEVER RAN A TIRE BIGGER THAN A 36
Yeah housings and knuckles were deff the weak link in mine.

Neal3000 said:
I agree 100% with your first statement, i launched mine out at Moab and it broke something every single time i went afterwards. Toyota housings are made out of 3/16 sheetmetal.

30/30 spline longs have been around forever, and they are probably just as strong or stronger than 30 spline 60 stuff but 35 spline 60 stuff costs about the same and is way stronger.

The 9.5 3rd has the same pinion as the mini 3rd and yes the ring gear has a bigger diameter but it is about half the thickness of the 8"...........and i'm really not convinced that 80 series frontends are worth fooling with, yes you get a bigger birf but it's still 30 spline, and have you ever seen a minitruck sized longfield with a broken birf? They pretty much always break at the splines so where's the upgrade? plus you have to deal with the weird knuckles, expensive highsteer and the scalloped hub flanges that you can't add dowels to.

Everyone worries about the extra weight of going to tons but i am convinced it's worth it for the extra strength and reliability. I've wheeled with the same two friends (both on tons) since about 2006 or so and there has never been an obstacle that i went up that they couldn't because of weight or clearance. Mainly i have spent a lot of time riding with them because my rig was on the trailer after i broke my toilet paper axles trying to follow them up stuff :****:

The 30/30 80 series longs just came out, they were always 24/30 until now. You are 100% correct on the short comings of the 80 fronts and 9.5 ring gear, but as Josh and Jamie have shown, they sure are tough as long as you don't have too many hamsters under the hood

With a healthy 4.3 in my buggy I can break longfields in half anytime, hell Tina is probably getting tired of warrenting them. Its time to uprgrade my **** but I'm not sold on the 9" bit and don't want the weight of tons and love sheetmetal housings. Wish I could afford torq 14's front and rear with al thirds and spidertrax outers.