• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Axle Housing Painting - What To Use?

Jobless said:
Just wire wheel the housing and used Semi-flat Krylon.

There is no need for primer or stripping chemicals, sandblasting etc...it's not a show truck and no matter ho much work you put into to try and keep it "easy to clean" it will always collect dirt, get drug across rocks, chipped and scratched...just make it simply so it's easier to "touch it up" later.
I'm more interested in keeping it from peeling and rusting :flipoff:

skrause said:
I'm more interested in keeping it from peeling and rusting :flipoff:

It won't peel or rust if you just strip it with a wire wheel, or sand blast, and paint it.

I've been doing this very thing for 10+ years and it doesn't peel or rust.

Get extras of the cheapest satin/flat black paint you can find, clean well, paint. It's going to get scratched, drug across stuff, wet, muddy, what-have-you anyway unless you powder coat it, so there's no sense in putting a ton of effort into it. The axle housing is not going to disintegrate if it's allowed to get some surface rust on it. If you're worried about keeping it looking nice, clean it up every once in a while with a pressure washer or something and throw a new coat of paint on.

Jobless said:
It won't peel or rust if you just strip it with a wire wheel, or sand blast, and paint it.
Uh... but yet you say there's no need for sandblasting. :flipoff:
Jobless said:
I've been doing this very thing for 10+ years and it doesn't peel or rust.
Ok, are you trying to say I haven't? :kissmyass: I've done it both ways and found using primer keeps rust from getting through the paint, and the job simply lasts longer. But does it really matter? You wipe one way, I wipe another, life goes on, who really cares. :cheer:

skrause said:
Uh... but yet you say there's no need for sandblasting. :flipoff:
Ok, are you trying to say I haven't? :kissmyass: I've done it both ways and found using primer keeps rust from getting through the paint, and the job simply lasts longer. But does it really matter? You wipe one way, I wipe another, life goes on, who really cares. :cheer:

So you are using primer, which costs more, and takes more time and I am not...therefore I'm saving time and money and getting the same results.

And how does rust get through paint if it was cleaned before painting...unless it gets scratched?

Hey TJ, since you explicitly stated it, you can get Por 15 from a few different auto parts shops around. Parts Plus, (Autozone I think) and maybe Napa have it. Also, Wesco paint supply has it and several small hardware stores have it (stoneway hardware on stone way, seattle).

I have experienced that the por 15 bonds poorly unless the paint and object are warm. Painting outside right now would not work real well.

There is also a guy in Everett who could powdercoat it for yah *bling* Chris @ Pacific Performance Coatings 425-339-5528. He is the cheapest I found for powder treatment. He does wheels too.

I seem to prefer hammerite flat black for axles. I'd prefer a semi-gloss, but I've never seen hammerite semi-gloss, so flat it is. No primer, no serious prep, just spray and wheel. It's a forkin' axle for gawd sake!!! It's gonna be covered in mud, dragged over rocks, and probly yanked out for repairs or upgrades within a year or two anyway.

Yeah, I guess I wasnt specific enough...

Im not trying to make a show truck, I just want something that will look decent for a little while, and will be easy to touch up. If stuff washes off the satin or semigloss semi well, then so be it. Im not into high gloss too much at all either. I just want something that looks better than whats under there now. Hell, anythings probably better than whats under there now, lol.

Ive never used the Hammered stuff, pretty good then? I havent needed to paint a lot of stuff yet...

Also, Boxxerace, I know its available at a lof of places, but what I meant was if I dont feel like driving to Wesco or somewhere like that, I can hit McLendons thats like 5 mins from my house to get a touch up can, know what I mean?

~T.J.

Last edited:
Jobless said:
So you are using primer, which costs more, and takes more time and I am not...therefore I'm saving time and money and getting the same results.

And how does rust get through paint if it was cleaned before painting...unless it gets scratched?
Etching primer promotes adhesion. Mabye you watched the same video Homer Simpson did? "The half-assed approach to foundation repair" :flipoff: Some people care about their work, some don't have jobs. :kissmyass:

Farm implement paint, it should be near $25 per gallong at your local tractor store, regardless of color.

skrause said:
Etching primer promotes adhesion. Mabye you watched the same video Homer Simpson did? "The half-assed approach to foundation repair" :flipoff: Some people care about their work, some don't have jobs. :kissmyass:

Foundation repair...Uhhhhh?

What's that got to do with painting axles?

Etching primer :rolleyes:

I'm powdercoating my chasis,leaving my links raw aluminum and rattle canning my 60's Rustoleum Rust Tough Flat black.......works great

Latest posts