• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Axle Housing Painting - What To Use?

skinny_pedal said:
best rattle can ever comes from tacoma screw. MRO is the name....the tacoma screw brand is also relabeled MRO. it literally is the bomb digity:cool: everything else is just pitty poop:redneck:
O.K., we are going to see how good this stuff is. I just painted the coils I pulled to put new airbags in with the can you left me a year or so ago. Stuff goes on thick I will say that. Doesn't look like it will be dry until tommorow even in the heated garage.

notstock said:
O.K., we are going to see how good this stuff is. I just painted the coils I pulled to put new airbags in with the can you left me a year or so ago. Stuff goes on thick I will say that. Doesn't look like it will be dry until tommorow even in the heated garage.

dam straight. works even better with primer beforehand. but i feel you have found the light. you will now stay away from pitty poo spray paint:clappy:

Stuff goes on so thick it looks like powder coating after 2 coats. There is overspray everywhere in the garage, it turns into a fog when you spray it. Not dry yet so they are sitting on the woodstove baking right now.

Last edited:
notstock said:
Not dry yet so they are sitting on the woodstove baking right now.
I bet the house smells just lovely :redneck: :redneck:

Kinda like Hammerite in the oven, Mary loves when I do that :redneck: :redneck: :redneck:

CrustyJeep said:
I bet the house smells just lovely :redneck: :redneck:

Kinda like Hammerite in the oven, Mary loves when I do that :redneck: :redneck: :redneck:
I have the front door wide open, a little warm outside for the woodstove anyway. Fumes were getting to me.:dumbass:

it pretty much is powder coat in a can.. it takes much longer to cure than normal spray paint. but if you are worried about quality, it doesnt happen fast.

TTF Fabrication said:
it pretty much is powder coat in a can.. it takes much longer to cure than normal spray paint. but if you are worried about quality, it doesnt happen fast.
Uh, ya, enamel has always taken longer to cure. Duh. :flipoff:

That stuff does look good. Whats its ability to flex like though? Will it work with the springs well, or will it just flake off once they flex too much? Not that it would matter for me with a solid axle housing, just curious.

Also, thats too much gloss IMO. I want something MUCH less than that for my housings. Do they make it in a semi or a matte?

~T.J.

EDIT: Just checked the link, they show a flat black in that brand. I assume the others have one as well? Sounds like its good stuff!

I alwasy use POR15. Thats what I used on my front axle, frame, and everything else on my SAS. Is a very deep glossy paint and very thick and durable. Can buy it by the quart at any autobody paint supply store.

The gloss is not going to show after I drive it:redneck:
They are starting to dry. I figured this would be a real test of this paint. It will be rubbing against the airbags & flexing so it should be a good experiment.

KarlVP said:
If you want housings blasted, I can get them done. (You should be able to also, on the base hobby shop.)

If that isn't an option, just clean (wire brush, sand in the nasty spots) clean, (Prepsall, brake parts cleaner or other solvent), prime (el cheap-o primer from autozone, home depot or whatever) then paint (duh)

This method is tried and true, been working for years.

Karl, could you help a brotha out with some sand blasting?

Hey TJ, ask jason, the guy with the black XJ about painting axles!!! He has done it alot!!! ALOT!!! Every scratch that he has put on the axle the day or day after it is all spic and span!! Axe him about it!!
Cory,

Latest posts