• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Axle shaft u-joints

Mac320

I have a 78 ford dana 60 axle with yukon 35 spline axle shafts, what u-joints are the strongest without paying $600 bucks for super joints ?

collinmaune said:
Ouversons for 525 don't ruin a set of shafts by not spending the extra money on u joints

I already made that mistake, do you have to do any machining on the axle ears for the clips with those ?

collinmaune said:
don't ruin a set of shafts by not spending the extra money on u joints

x2

Never fooled with ton stuff, but I broke spicer u joints with stock shafts in my front waggy D44 in my old sas'd Tacoma. Once the u joint breaks, there's rarely any saving the axles. The ears of the axles run into each other then you have to buy both inner and outter AND another u joint. Some ppl get lucky and let off just in time after the u-joint breaks, but it's rare. I wasn't mashing my motor either time, and rurnt the shafts on both sides of the u joint each time the ujoints shattered. After doing that twice, once on each side, I bought some used chromo yukons that had one good super joint and needed on in the other side, so I bought a new Yukon super joint for that side, and never broke another axle or u joint.

Mac320 said:
I already made that mistake, do you have to do any machining on the axle ears for the clips with those ?

They come with full clips, so stock shafts will not work. I imagine most chromos have the machining prevision already done.

nhl_bullitt said:
They come with full clips, so stock shafts will not work. I imagine most chromos have the machining prevision already done.

I have modified stock shafts to work with full circle clips. I used a cutoff wheel on a grinder. Most all the chromo axles have the area machined out.

On topic:
I have always ran Spicer lifetime joints, with full circle clips. I just recently upgraded to super joints. The only failures at the front axle have always been at the joint. I've broke caps, crushed needle bearing and suspect my other joint failures may have been caused by the cap coming out.

1993toy said:
I have modified stock shafts to work with full circle clips. I used a cutoff wheel on a grinder. Most all the chromo axles have the area machined out.

Yea, you can definitely do that. Although if someone was buying superjoints, I would skip trying to use factory shafts.

I have yukon chromoly axles and they are machined flat on the inside of the ears. Thanks for the replies.

I have had a Spicer break and it ruined both shafts. Get some good u joints.

UConn super joint! I've had them in mine for over two years with stickies and a heavy gas pedal that I do not baby. :****: I expect to load mine with a winch any day but they and the Axle's have been very impressive