• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Axle tie down straps...

dirtygoat

Anybody running these??? What do you think???

I've been thinking about picking some up...

10CAS_300.jpg

A little different that the ones I use but same concept. I use to use a set of chains, that were specific to the wheeler, but anything else was hard to place properly and difficult to balance for optimum travel sometimes.

Much easier to adjust the balance with the straps.

jack uses them and they kick ass. Anytime Im going to haul something nice or weird to load I borrow his cuz they kick ass anywhere that chains dont work very well.

I likes me chains tho too.:D

yes I use them. I wouldn't use anything else.
X2

I actualy use a set of Beck's, local company that is usually at the swap meets, but I don't know if they/she is still around. But they are the same thing and if they wear out or I need another pair I'll be getting a set of Mac's, I've heard no bad things about them.

I don't want to see this turn into a "chains vs straps" thread, but for tying down a rig the straps like you pictured are about as slick as it gets.

For more flexability, the straps with indipendant axle straps are nice, but no parts to loose with the combo straps.

I personally dont like the style of strap pictured. It has the axle surround built into the strap, I prefer a 'loose' surround that has 2 ends on it to run a hook thru.

Where the metal hook twists I've seen them break there. The adjustable turn buckle in the strap where the hook goes around the axel and then comes back, that turn buckle pinches the strap and can break the strap. Those are what Ann had on her jeep when she rolled it off the trailer 3 of the 4 broke at that turn buckle.

Binders and chain are way better IMO. You can get em way tighter and you don't have to worry about them wearing through, or some cheap hardware breaking. If your worried about a binder coming loose, wrap the excess chain around it or wrap a bungee around the handle. And if your a wussy-man, you can use a cheater bar.:fawkdancesmiley:

Chains, and binders.. They last forever, and I have had straps get so iced up you couldn't hardly use them.
Plus chains, and binders make handy weapons against zombies. Straps just make them horney.

I have a set of Mac straps with the integrated axle loops. I loved them at first but with less than a year's worth of use they began to show wear around the buckle that adjusts the axle loop size. I tried to mitigate the problem by varying the loop size but all that did was wear out other sections of the strap equally. A better option would be to run regular straps with separate axle loops thus avoiding the particular wear problem I just mentioned. If you must have straps with integrated axle loops buy the longer version, making those loops eats up strap length. One more thing, washing and drying your straps after hauling you muddy rig is yet another post run chore.

I got tired of worrying about frayed webbing and the high maintenance so I went back to what is tried and true for hauling dirty, heavy metal. Chains and binders secure my muddy loads nice and tight, cheaply, and they don't ask for a bath afterwards.

Both systems have their places, so buy both. :redneck:

but with less than a year's worth of use they began to show wear around the buckle that adjusts the axle loop size. I tried to mitigate the problem by varying the loop size but all that did was wear out other sections of the strap equally.

Didn't notice that the Mac's had an "adjustable" axle loop. My previously mentioned Beck's have a fixed loop, and after 6-7+ years of use have shown no discernible wear in that point.

However like I said and Bunk and a couple others, my next set will probably be separate axle loops and straps. More flexibility and if I should put the axle strap in a bad spot and cut it for whatever reason I don't have to have the whole strap replaced, just the (relatively cheap) axle strap.

Edit: I should add this style would be more hassel to install however, the "loop back" style I can do one-handed, kind of handy with the long ass-hang of my truck when its tripping trail goo and last thing you want to do is crawl under and mess with anything.

"Separate loop" Style
272_512_large.jpg

272_598_large.jpg

Last edited:
Good thread. I was actually going to start for axle tied downs because i just bought a new trailer! Is that set still for sale LED??

My buddy who I met down at the hammers hooks his straps to his rim and not the axle tube, works great, fast and straps last