• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Axles for 302 and 37's?

Ok so what about this. I build the sammy for a 35 in a LWB platform with a 4.3. Hold on to the 302 for down the road when I build a buggy for a larger tire and more of the type of driving I would rather do. This way I have the samy for the street//hunting/fishing/camping/dd/weekend playrig and the buggy for when I want to smash on it a bit.

The more I think and talk about it the more I think I won't be able to keep my foot out of it as I tend to hit things hard if I can't crawl it the first try. Poopman has seen me when I did not make it trying to crawl and started putting the sammy against the wall on the old entrence to 311 when wet while smashing the 1.3 in 2nd gear. But I made it:awesomework:

What about using a SC 3800 Series II/III mated to a 60* 700r4 and using a NP208 adapter, adapting to a D300? Smaller motor builds good horsepower (comparable, if not more than the 4.3) and is kinda unique-ish.

What about using a SC 3800 Series II/III mated to a 60* 700r4 and using a NP208 adapter, adapting to a D300? Smaller motor builds good horsepower (comparable, if not more than the 4.3) and is kinda unique-ish.

A bunch of guys have done that swap and liked it but I am not a fan of that motor. Good power yes but my sister had a car with it in it and had allot of issues. Maybe it was e lemon but put a bad taste in my mouth for that motor.

I ran a toy with 302/c4 and dual toy cases. Toy axles with Longs and 36" tires. I crawled everthing at the moon/funny rocks (except can opener). Every thing survived just fine. You don't always have to use the potential of the v8, it's just nice to have if you want it. You'll never say "Boy, I wish I had less power". I a light rig on under 40" tires, parts will last a long time. I ran my toy for 3yrs and only broke a 5.29 R&P.

I ran a toy with 302/c4 and dual toy cases. Toy axles with Longs and 36" tires. I crawled everthing at the moon/funny rocks (except can opener). Every thing survived just fine. You don't always have to use the potential of the v8, it's just nice to have if you want it. You'll never say "Boy, I wish I had less power". I a light rig on under 40" tires, parts will last a long time. I ran my toy for 3yrs and only broke a 5.29 R&P.

Still tossing around. Some ideas and looking up parts costs. Working on a build order as towhat needs to get done first like axles before cutting the frame and adding a v8 or v6.

Polished Toy/dana 44s will break behind that V8 unless you drive like a sissy. For fitting reasons I would go with a 4.3, gear the axles accordingly, and run 60s with Hummer beadlocks. Should put you in the 76-78 wide range. Your rig is light, and add the gearing and the rig will have more than enough power for you.

Polished Toy/dana 44s will break behind that V8 unless you drive like a sissy. For fitting reasons I would go with a 4.3, gear the axles accordingly, and run 60s with Hummer beadlocks. Should put you in the 76-78 wide range. Your rig is light, and add the gearing and the rig will have more than enough power for you.

60's would be allot of fun under it and I would neverhave any issues. Looking at how much I realy want to driveit on the road to figure out if I want to. Keep it street legal or not. If no then 60's it is. If yes then I will build the toys and run a 4.3 with a 35.

Ok so what about this. I build the sammy for a 35 in a LWB platform with a 4.3. Hold on to the 302 for down the road when I build a buggy for a larger tire and more of the type of driving I would rather do. This way I have the samy for the street//hunting/fishing/camping/dd/weekend playrig and the buggy for when I want to smash on it a bit.

The more I think and talk about it the more I think I won't be able to keep my foot out of it as I tend to hit things hard if I can't crawl it the first try. Poopman has seen me when I did not make it trying to crawl and started putting the sammy against the wall on the old entrence to 311 when wet while smashing the 1.3 in 2nd gear. But I made it:awesomework:

:awesomework:

Well I wastalking to a budy of mine last night over a few beers and he had a few good points to make as did his wife and mine. The motor and trans I want and wheel base are the same as an S-10 Blazer. I want to haul my kids in my rig and have them safe on the trail and the road. His point was whhy not get the sammy going as is. Drive that way and pick up a 2dr blazer tto build a little. 4dr would be nice for the kids but a 2dr would make opening the wheel wells easier to keep it low with a bigger tire. Some waggy 44's to start then tons down the road as money gets better. Would be good in the winter and keep the boys safe. They have a 4.3 stock and more then enough room for a V8 down the road if ii chose. Plus it don't help I was looking at a few build on pirate of the Blazers.:mad:

The blazer idea is a good one. Just be ready to either build a monster truck or rebuild the front frame rails so the front axle doesnt hit the frame.

Frame is junk on an s10. Like massive junk.

Did I mention they have a junk frame?

Ya know, Bobby Long himself built his son a 4runner with a 302 and toyota axles. He runs it on all kinds of trails.

Oh yeah, your build ideas and the term "street legal" just dont go together.

Frame is junk on an s10. Like massive junk.

Did I mention they have a junk frame?

Ya know, Bobby Long himself built his son a 4runner with a 302 and toyota axles. He runs it on all kinds of trails.

Oh yeah, your build ideas and the term "street legal" just dont go together.

i was waiting for that :cool:

Don't let it deter you. Like the 4 cylinder guys, some think anything but a Toy or Jeep is garbage. Build what works for you and your family and budget. A blazer would be more unique than the Toys out there. I do like the 302 in a zuk with toy axles, it doesn't have much space but it would survive.

Don't let it deter you. Like the 4 cylinder guys, some think anything but a Toy or Jeep is garbage. Build what works for you and your family and budget. A blazer would be more unique than the Toys out there. I do like the 302 in a zuk with toy axles, it doesn't have much space but it would survive.

Practice what you preach.

you had an S10 project.

Now you wheel a toyota. Nuff said.

I dont care what folks build. I wasnt telling anyone to build a toyota, and I would never tell anyone to build a jeep. I do consider the pros and cons of each.

The pros of the s10 are the 4.3 stock.

The cons are garbage steering, garbage frame.

Putting a quality frame under a rig is tougher than installing a 4.3 in another rig.

I have a very good friend that refuses to build anything but an S10. Guess what, he spends more time dreaming/wrenching than wheeling.

I don't think the frames are THAT bad but the shape of the front certainly sucks. The steering box is typical saginaw not some off the wall rack and pinion **** like the tacomas use that has to be changed. The frames on blazers are fully boxed so I don't see them as much of a hindrance.

I don't think the frames are THAT bad but the shape of the front certainly sucks. The steering box is typical saginaw not some off the wall rack and pinion **** like the tacomas use that has to be changed. The frames on blazers are fully boxed so I don't see them as much of a hindrance.

Tell my buddy. He has welded up the frame and braced it many times cuz it splits at the seams.

The shape of the frame is not so friendly to move the box forward either.

Or you get stuck running a shitty 3 bolt saggy box out of a minivan to keep the steering form overlapping.

Im not debating it anymore. I would not build an S10 framed wheeler. Thats just my opinion.

Practice what you preach.

you had an S10 project.

Now you wheel a toyota. Nuff said.

I dont care what folks build. I wasnt telling anyone to build a toyota, and I would never tell anyone to build a jeep. I do consider the pros and cons of each.

The pros of the s10 are the 4.3 stock.

The cons are garbage steering, garbage frame.

Putting a quality frame under a rig is tougher than installing a 4.3 in another rig.

I have a very good friend that refuses to build anything but an S10. Guess what, he spends more time dreaming/wrenching than wheeling.

I still have the S10 and I have a toy, jeep and 2 other chevy's. So not quite "nuff said". The frames are just fine for a family wheeler. A blazer would be a good build. At least your not telling him to throw 60's under every thing.:D