• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Backlash question (DANA 60)

MuleSkinner1399

MuleSkinner II
This could be a dumb question - but I am changing my broken locker out of my DANA 60 and putting in a SPOOL. Since i am not changing the gears do i have to adjust the backlash?

Thanks for your help! :driving:

yes
the spool may not have exactly the same machining as the carrier, so the ring gear may move closer or further from the pinion

From my experience make sure to pull the old bearings off and check for shims. If it does have shims make sure they go back on the correct same side they came from. This is usually close to what it was from the original setup. If you were changing gears the there might be more difference.

For rock rigs I use a cylindrical sanding pad that fits into your die grinder. You can buy them at home depot and Lowes. I grind down the inner races of the bearings that slide onto the carrier, just enough so you can tap them off with a punch. That way changing shims is easy.

If I'm building a street rig, I hang onto my spare set so I can set backlash then use brand new bearings. I use the same method for dana 80s.

Just do it. Promise you'll thank me

No matter if its on road or of road, buy a extra set of bearings, hone the inside of it to slip on and off easily. Use these as setup bearings only. When it has the correct backlash, then press the new ones on. An extra $25 can save a lot of time and heartache later.

Changing the backlash could also affect the piñon depth and I would suggest getting a master install kit and it will come with new bearings shims everything you will need to set your gears up properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts