• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Barbie jeep tech

Eddyj

I know you guys aren't going down that hill on a "stock" Barbie jeep. So what are the common upgrades?

I have two Barbie jeeps going to waste. I would be willing to donate one to someone who is braver than I am.

Are there any illegal modifications?

I don't even know who these questions are intended for. Extreme Barbie jeep racing association?

I need to know this info as well I got a buddy that says he is gonna race lol

Im Pretty sure they don't allow the little 4 wheelers. And the gears are stripped out of the little jeeps. Looks like they could use a small steering upgrade an roll out lol

Drinkin whiskey while we're haulin double ass y'all. Lol

My favorite is the walk around when it's done. Got his bicycle in the background cuz he lost his damn license 10yrs ago. Lmao

In the races are you aloud to have any brakes? Any mods to the jeep?

LightBnDr said:
Drinkin whiskey while we're haulin double ass y'all. Lol

My favorite is the walk around when it's done. Got his bicycle in the background cuz he lost his damn license 10yrs ago. Lmao

In the races are you aloud to have any brakes? Any mods to the jeep?

Brakes? You mean your feet?

It is meant to be stupid and fun not an actual competition

I'm just sayin a little guy like me with a big ole cuttin brake handle could take home $100 in prize money. Lol

LightBnDr said:
I'm just sayin a little guy like me with a big ole cuttin brake handle could take home $100 in prize money. Lol

Pretty sure the only rule is nothing with handlebars. Has to have a steering wheel. If you ain't cheating, you ain't tryin. But, brakes will just slow you down. I'll be there for moral support! Y'all get suuur-eeee-us.

Lucky I guess that's exactly what I was thinking when he picked up the skill saw! :****:

How does he even have a skill saw? First I thought it was an act. I'm not so sure. But when he was sawing on the top of that plastic i wondered the same thing. It turned out better than I thought it would. The pump for liquior shows he can build ****. But man he's 100% Fukin hammered doing all that ****. Hahahah. Also I'd bet he has 2 of the 3 on his list of W's covered for sure.

Here are the Rules.

Must Have Plastic Tires (no air filled rubber tires will be allowed)
Must have steering wheel (no handlebars or atvs are allowed)
Cutting Brakes? Sure why not. because if you feel the need to hit the brakes you won't win anyway... :flipoff1: Brakes are for sissies.

Better get your rigs ready I am coming to take home the WIN!

Sheeeeeit. Back in the day when me and THE Missy Giove were racin downhill, if you didn't have brakes, ain't no way you're makin it to the bottom without a stretcher. Lol

Slower is faster goin downhill at speed. Especially when you're 200+ lbs wadding up like a rag doll :)

I did a thread on this a long long time ago (pre-"X"), here is the cut and paste.

InDaShop said:
****Mods- Move this to tech if it doesn't belong here.****

I know this downhill Barbie Jeep racing has taken the nation by storm. You got guys driving half way across the country to compete for a shot. You got nationally recognized extreme videographers going for broke to get these races on tape.

Well this is to help the guy who just wants to get out there and give it his all. Sometimes you just need someone to show you how its done. Well this tech is for the little guy.

How to Barbie Jeep Race Prep: Get your Barbie Jeep in Race Trim.

1st we start with your bone stock early model Barbie Jeep.
IMG_1089a.jpg

To kick off the mods we need to start shedding weight. These things are pigs!
1st to go is that pesky windshield. It does nothing but block air anyway. I used a standard Phillips head screwbit in a cordless drill to remove the fasteners from the hinges in the cowl.
IMG_1090a.jpg

There we go, looks good now that we got that barn door off of the body.
IMG_1091a.jpg

Now we move on to the rollbar. Yeah I understand your concerns here. Yes we are offroading and very safety conscience, but this rollbar needs to go. It could stay if it had more triangulation but at this point its more of a hindrance. That and you'll save a ton of weight right here.
IMG_1092a.jpg

Next up we pop the hood and get a good look at that powerplant.
IMG_1093a.jpg

She's not going to cut it, so out she comes.
IMG_1094a.jpg

It is truly amazing how clean the engine bay is sans the juice.
IMG_1095a.jpg

Now is the perfect time to shed all the fat out of the passenger compartment. Here is a before look of what we're dealing with .
IMG_1098a.jpg

Out comes the shifters! This is real tricky as you need both hands. One hand to hold the shift mechanism up, and the other to disconnect the wiring harness. Be careful, these things run the shift by wire technology and you don't want to stick it in gear.
IMG_1099a.jpg

Next up the accelerator pedal. Since we are converting this Barbie Jeep to downhill racing it would be foolish to keep the pedal as the fuel will be pouring in via gravity on the slope. All or none BABY!
IMG_1100a.jpg

Here we go a final look at what the inside of your Barbie Jeep should look like in full race trim. As you can see we kept the steering wheel and the dash mounted CB on the left. And like all true racers no cup holders, so your beer will have to get in where it fits in.
IMG_1101a.jpg

Now its time to get down to the "Serious" of the mods. With the Jeep up on the rack you'll be able to get under it and work on the drivetrain.
IMG_1097a.jpg

Be ready to put in some work, I worked up a big sweat under this Jeep trying to break the rear diff open. Have a beer handy.
IMG_1104a.jpg

Here we are at the transmission, and rear differential. Getting ready to start the mods.
IMG_1107a.jpg

There are two flat head screws on the wheel side of the tranny/transfer case that you must unscrew to liberate the tranny from the transfer case. You can see here how I have just removed the tranny as you can see the 10 splined output shaft "Bling"
IMG_1108a.jpg

Next we need to break into the transfer case. There are 4 Phillips head screws that hold the two sides of the case together. Once they are removed you can pry the case open to access the gears. And remove the two outermost gears to free up all burdon on the drivetrain.
IMG_1109a.jpg

Here is the 1st of the offending gears. They were just way to low to use for racing. Maybe a lil backyard crawling or a trip to the mall parking lot but they just wouldn't cut the mustard in competition.
IMG_1110a.jpg

Onward to the body. Here is the stock frontend.
IMG_1111a.jpg

You'll need to pop the hood, and remove the headlights. Then we used a tin screw with rubber grommet to beef up the attachment of the grill, core support, and radiator assembly.
IMG_1112a.jpg

With the headlights reinstalled you can't even tell where the body mods were even made.
IMG_1113a.jpg

The next body mod is to the hood. Last thing you want when you are in the lead on the downhill stretch is for the hood to come unlatched and blind you. So we ran a couple more screws into the hinges securing the back of the hood a bit better to the cowl.
IMG_1114a.jpg

As well as secured the leading edge of the hood to the grill. Now heres a tip: make sure you run your fasteners down behind one of the grille uprights. That makes for the cleanest install, as the grill bars hides the fastener.
IMG_1115a.jpg

And here we go a parting look at the scrap pile, all of that adds up to a good amount of weight, and should pay off handsomely on race day.
IMG_1117a.jpg

And here you can see the #8 Dale Jr, Budweiser, Power Wheels, Camp Barbie, Muchado Productions Jeep in full race trim.
IMG_1118a.jpg

Hope this Tech article helps you get out there and experience just what you can do in a Jeep.
And makes you fall over laughing cause I had a damn fun ass time doing it. :flipoff1:

Re:

tyldyl12 said:
^^^^^This was good, I remember it!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Really took a lot of heat for cutting up such a cherry and rare "Camp Jeep" model, but what'ev's thumb.gif

Re:

InDaShop said:
Really took a lot of heat for cutting up such a cherry and rare "Camp Jeep" model, but what'ev's thumb.gif

Ya, I've heard there like a LWB samurai, hard to find!!! molaugh

Latest posts