• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Basic Chassis Questions

Beyer

DC1
I am looking at building a new chassis this winter and would like some advice. The poor man's version of Bend-tech super pro (or whatever it is) is attached. Sheet 1 is the side view and sheet 2 is the floor bars from a top view. Let me know if you see something that is going to cause me major grief in the future. Thanks in advance.

Here is what I am looking to do:

- 108" wheelbase
- 54" wide chassis
- 40"- 42" stickies (may use my 44's until I get a deal on tires and wheels)
- Full width axles (probably 5" backspaced wheels)
- Rear steer in the future
- Dual triangulated 4-links
- 4-seater (36" rear bench seat)
- Must be simple design as I want to be able to make repairs fairly simple (not having good luck with keeping my tires on the ground lately :flipoff1:). I like the simplicity of the Twisted Custom 4-seaters. I would like the top bars to be able to be cut-off and replaced without alot of extra work.
- Using my Vortec 5.7, TH400, and Stak 3-speed
- Radiator up front
- Fuel Cell behind back seat
- I am only 5'7", so I do not need alot of leg room
- I am sure there is more so I will update as I think of it.......

[attachment deleted by admin]

One of my concerns is the A pillar location and angle.
Also, does the proportions for the subframe to floor and the floor to roof look alright?

This may be the most ignorant sounding thing in the world, but Im putting out there because its one of those Obvious things that you'd never think of doing.

I LITERALLY put a protractor on a poster of a buggy that I liked in a few area's ( A Pillars specifically ) and took angle's from that. Its simple and it will net you a "look" that you like. Other then that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and half the pleasure of building something of that scale is the process taken to get there. Relax, enjoy it and put your heart into her and you'll be a happy guy ! :dblthumb:

I ordered a set of buggy plans/prints to get the porportions more correct. As far as doing repairs to the tube work. Go with 3/16 wall at a minimum for anything that can hit a rock. I did that with mine and have atleast 7 rolls I can remeber and have no tube dents at all. Oh, allow for mucho up travel in the front so you can go fast.

kid rok said:
I ordered a set of buggy plans/prints to get the porportions more correct. As far as doing repairs to the tube work. Go with 3/16 wall at a minimum for anything that can hit a rock. I did that with mine and have atleast 7 rolls I can remeber and have no tube dents at all. Oh, allow for mucho up travel in the front so you can go fast.

Do you run .188" on the roof bars? Because mine touch the rocks all of the time! :flipoff1:
I allowed for 6" uptravel front and rear with a 21" belly. I do not think my axle/motor/driveline/radiator situation will let me have any more and still have a 20"-21" belly and 108" wheelbase. Also, my short ass has to be able to see over the hood, so raising the engine up is out of the question as well. I do like to go fast, but have NO plans of running KOH or the like. Just trail riding and 'getting it' once in awhile.

You got seats? If so check out the head clearance you gonna have. You might pull if off with a 10" deep belly but check it out. I got an atlas and plan on 6.5" deep belly. But we figured about 40" to the top of my head in the seat from the floor. I am bending right now on the same type setup you are talking about. Look up KULA on pirate if you like the TC 4 seaters. Lots of pics to study.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621539&highlight=

Toddy

Toddy said:
You got seats? If so check out the head clearance you gonna have. You might pull if off with a 10" deep belly but check it out. I got an atlas and plan on 6.5" deep belly. But we figured about 40" to the top of my head in the seat from the floor. I am bending right now on the same type setup you are talking about. Look up KULA on pirate if you like the TC 4 seaters. Lots of pics to study.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621539&highlight=

Toddy

Yes, I am re-using my Corbeau seats. How tall are you? I will measure myself tonight and see how much headroom I need.

Also, thanks for the link. I have been studying that thread since it was started. Love that buggy! :woot:

I made some changes. It still looks like the A pillar starts too early. Anyone have a good measurement for the engine compartment (front of chassis to the A pillar)?

techtafab said:
why not try and make it look different then 90% of the other 4 seaters out there ?

2 reasons
1. It is an easy-to-build 4-seaterand should be easy to repair.
2. Very hard to get fancy and still keep it at 108" wheelbase and all of the other dimensions I want.

Toddy said:
LS motor and my motor mounts are 36" from front of chassis. A pillar prob starts about 6" behind that.

Thanks. That is the type of info I am looking for. Do you have a pic of your rig for reference?

Beyer as you have a KORE chassis already and know Ken why not do what I am doing a make a two seater into a four seater?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781848

Sounds like you and I are after about the same thing spec wise. You could have Ken build the front to what I did so that you don't have to cut it off. PM me if you would like any measuremetns and I'll measure them and get back to you.

What I will end up with if I ever finish it.

20" at ride height.
7" Front and Rear (I'm reworking the back seat mount to have more travel in the rear)
106.5 WB

Not to side track this thread either but Ken's new buggy looks alot like what you have drawn up.

I can understand wanting to build your own though!! I am just bad with tubing so I prefered to start with something.

EDIT: I'm also running 39's on narrow axles with 45deg steering. Full widths would make it a lot easier to fit everything. I also only mention Ken's Chassis because cutting the top off and replacing it would be pretty easy....I think. But sounds like you would know better than I about that.

Blase said:
Beyer as you have a KORE chassis already and know Ken why not do what I am doing a make a two seater into a four seater?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781848

Sounds like you and I are after about the same thing spec wise. You could have Ken build the front to what I did so that you don't have to cut it off. PM me if you would like any measuremetns and I'll measure them and get back to you.

What I will end up with if I ever finish it.

20" at ride height.
7" Front and Rear (I'm reworking the back seat mount to have more travel in the rear)
106.5 WB

Not to side track this thread either but Ken's new buggy looks alot like what you have drawn up.

I can understand wanting to build your own though!! I am just bad with tubing so I prefered to start with something.

EDIT: I'm also running 39's on narrow axles with 45deg steering. Full widths would make it a lot easier to fit everything. I also only mention Ken's Chassis because cutting the top off and replacing it would be pretty easy....I think. But sounds like you would know better than I about that.

If you are cool with getting me measurements, that will help alot. I just hate asking people, feel like I am cheating on a test or something. :****:

I like Ken's new 4-seater. It is almost exactly what I want, I just don't have $5k to throw at a chassis and still buy the other **** I need/want. :eat: