• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Comanche Tube Chassis Truggy Thing Build

Afarmer1062

Ok, bare with me as this is my first official build thread. Also be ready to see some mediocre work with a few cool parts and slow progress lol.

I traded my black Toyota buggy for this Comanche back in December. From the best I can tell the Comanche was started back around 2007ish and has been passed around a few owners. It's never been finished completely. A shop called Twisted Fab in Texas built the chassis originally.

Specs when I picked it up were 4g63T with 16g turbo, intake, and injectors. Th400 and Dana 300. 14 bolts front and rear. 40 spline spool front and the back was still factory.
BE451954-73E1-4E00-9495-B56FADED05F7.jpeg
5BB36B29-C416-4343-8584-6C04E34E01A4.jpeg

Picture of my Toyota buggy and the day I picked up the Comanche.

Last edited:
Here's some more pictures after I got it home and started going over it better to make a list of what all needed to be done.
Lots of welding to finish, come up with some different front lower link mounts, different ram mount, something different with the hood/engine cage, coilover mounte, wiring, plumbing etc..
C32BAA4A-8D8D-4DCF-9152-1EE3E2AF6BC7.jpeg
7E727B8D-B071-49E9-A7FF-5B06BC5B4434.jpeg
FF3C9A92-C6E3-47DA-AAC2-83E215B8696C.jpeg
BAA5CBD8-8F07-45BD-BB47-D3F44B218E0A.jpeg
4BF915A2-7836-48AD-B2AD-360CDFC84C7A.jpeg

Attachments

• D554BB2A-E51C-4AB2-89F9-F10882C2BAA5.jpeg
    D554BB2A-E51C-4AB2-89F9-F10882C2BAA5.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 472
Thanks for starting a thread and a cool Twisted Fab chassis from relatively way back in the day.

What would a 4g63T have been found in? I know I could Google it but what's the fun in that.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting a thread and a cool piece of history to have a Twisted Customs chassis from relatively way back in the day.

What would a 4g63T have been found in? I know I could Google it but what's the fun in that.
I looked at the stuff I had found on it again and the shop was actually just called Twisted Fab..easily confused. I'll change it.

I honestly don't know a ton about these engines. They came in eagle talons, turbo eclipses, Mitsubishi evo's. Supposedly they're pretty stout and capable of making pretty good power on stock bottom end.

I looked at the stuff I had found on it again and the shop was actually just called Twisted Fab..easily confused. I'll change it.

I honestly don't know a ton about these engines. They came in eagle talons, turbo eclipses, Mitsubishi evo's. Supposedly they're pretty stout and capable of making pretty good power on stock bottom end.
Ah I gotcha on the shop name change and that's cool on the Mitsubishi engines.

There's a ton out there for the 4g63t. Those DSMs had quite a following.

They are stout, one thing to research is "crank walk" although it's shouldn't be much of a problem with an auto.

Slick truggy too, I'm digging the seats.

There's a ton out there for the 4g63t. Those DSMs had quite a following.

They are stout, one thing to research is "crank walk" although it's shouldn't be much of a problem with an auto.

Slick truggy too, I'm digging the seats.
I completely overlooked the seats originally but now I wants a set of them for something.

Next I picked up some 16" Radflos and got a killer deal on a 3.0 atlas.

I called AA to get a different input shaft for the th400. I found out something interesting after giving them the serial number off the case. The guy from AA questioned how I got ahold of it lol. It was apparently ordered by the military and was only a couple years old. It came out of one of these:

So I'm waiting for a knock on the door from the government

Attachments

• CF10B061-6C57-4DA0-8A46-5C5BDEEED05B.jpeg
    CF10B061-6C57-4DA0-8A46-5C5BDEEED05B.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 198
Next I picked up some 16" Radflos and got a killer deal on a 3.0 atlas.

I called AA to get a different input shaft for the th400. I found out something interesting after giving them the serial number off the case. The guy from AA questioned how I got ahold of it lol. It was apparently ordered by the military and was only a couple years old. It came out of one of these:

So I'm waiting for a knock on the door from the government

That's pretty cool and super interesting on the tcase.

those seats are so retro that I didnt even look at them close. they definitely fit the build and I personally would totally rock them. Cool seats.

I figured I would just start in the back and work my way forward. I went ahead and welded out the link tabs on the rear axle.
A7A43F63-41BB-46C3-9E82-11411EDD6F59.jpeg

Next I had a few days off for Covid and made some tabs and mounted the coilovers after finishing the honeydo's around the house. After going through a couple boxes that came with the truck, I found the exact tabs I made in the bottom of one .
893463CC-0D0A-4D09-A93E-FB2A0EEF48DF.jpeg

One of the previous owners added these tubes to the truss so I couldn't fully collapse the shock. I don't think they're needed so I'm going to cut them off and should be able to have the shock fully collapsed. I'll build some pads for bump stop later. They're still on the list to buy.

EC4615E0-400C-4E28-8C7A-8AF5B986A2B5.jpeg

The chassis has these bungs everywhere so that you can remove the cab easily. It was a cool idea originally I think, but I have a feeling once this thing starts getting beat on it would never go back together if you took it apart. Right now I plan to just weld them all up. What do you guys think?
F007150B-CA93-4986-B3F4-00AB07775B12.jpeg

those engineered connections are great as long as everything is perfect. I have used them in a couple of locations and you are correct in that once the chassis or part gets tweeked then they require a ton of work to remove and reinstall. I say weld them up.

X2. I doubt you will remove the cab that often, once the build is finished. If you need to, cut the tube, and then slug it when you put it back together. If you put bracing in the other 2 directions on each side of that joint, it might help it stay aligned longer, but you will likely add a ton more tubing, if its possible at all.

Not a ton of progress lately. I've been busy with daughter's archery tournaments and work.

I have the atlas in and that's about it. I'm about to start on reworking the front 4 link so I'll be sure to get some pictures and update this thread.