• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Beadlocks on the street.

My buddy from the State patrol sent this, and it's the same as what Binder posted above.

State Patrol said:
All tires and rims must meet the federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) in order to operate on the public roadway. Each manufacturer should have them certified through the USDOT if they meet these requirements for road use. If the tires/rims say for off road use only, then they are not legal to use on public roadways. There are two applicable federal standards regarding vehicle rims (depending on the vehicle size) FMVSS 110 and 120 which are attached.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/octqtr/pdf/49cfr571.110.pdf

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/octqtr/pdf/49cfr571.120.pdf

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/octqtr/pdf/49cfr571.109.pdf

after much reading, I've concluded that:
A) (section 109, 110) that in order for the rim to be DOT certified for a passanger vehicle, it must constructed to the dimensions of 'test rim' (standard 109). If it's not an exact match of the DOT's 'test rim' than it's not OK.
B) (section 110) that in order for the rim to be DOT certified for a other-than-passanger vehicle, it must be stamped with a letter designating which Rim Manufacturer's Assoc, the rim size, the letters DOT (constituting certification by the manufacturer the rim complies with all Federal motor vehicle standards), the manufacturer's name, and date of manufacture.

So..... since beadlocks are NOT passanger rims (at this time), you need a DOT stamp for them to be DOT approved. And I'm guessing that the DOT stamp is a huge liability for the manufacturer, should something go wrong, the manufacture is up the creek. I'm doubtful there's enough $$ to make it worthwhile to DOT certify.

And my standard disclosure: read it yourself, and come to your own conclussions. I'm just a poor reader, and probably got it all wrong.

Last edited:
So, that tells me that there are regulations in place (federally) for the manufacture and distribution of aftermarket wheels etc., but by the time it gets down to the state and county enforcement level, they don't actually stipulate in the RCW that your wheel has to say DOT approved, or meet the federal standards.

Doesn't that kinda leave a little hole if you do get a ticket?

So, that tells me that there are regulations in place (federally) for the manufacture and distribution of aftermarket wheels etc., but by the time it gets down to the state and county enforcement level, they don't actually stipulate in the RCW that your wheel has to say DOT approved, or meet the federal standards.

Doesn't that kinda leave a little hole if you do get a ticket?

No, but like a lot have already stated, fake beadlocks made it so that most cops won't even ask about them, as long as they are nice, like TR you shouldn't have a problem, but some of the DIY's are quite obvious :redneck:

truckspikes.jpg

The movie 'GREASE' comes to mind! :haha:

No, but like a lot have already stated, fake beadlocks made it so that most cops won't even ask about them, as long as they are nice, like TR you shouldn't have a problem, but some of the DIY's are quite obvious :redneck:

Yah, my Clarklocks do kinda stand out.

Hutchinson bead locks are DOT approved and stamped. They are the same company that makes the H1 bead locks with an inner bead lock "sleeve".

I've been pretty happy with mine and don't ever have to worry about being hasseled.
IMG_019215.jpg

Latest posts