• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Belly Height

17" to the skid and she hangs up on every %@!*%*'ING thing that comes along.

Working on a smooth 20" at this time. Will be better in a couple of weeks.

skidplatetapemeasureresized.jpg

skidplateresized.jpg

Last edited:
Is that something you would recommend?? Sounds like it could be handy once you know how to work it. Or does the same phenomenon cause issues in other situations?

Mine has been that way for years--works great

As for belly clearance---IMO how the belly is built is more important than how high it is--to a point of course..

well thats the first step in the right direction:flipoff:

Hey shut up kid, aren't you late for your cub scouts meeting or something? :fawkdancesmiley:

Yup, I'm with crash here.... having a SMOOTH bully is more important than exactly how high or low it is. Like that stock yota crossmember, that fawker hangs down about 8" under the frame! Yea that was a SWEET design... Talk about a trail hanger...

18 inchs of belly, 60 to the top of cage, 60 front, 70 rear, front tires full of water

Side hilling master
imgp2549zf6.jpg

When I think of belly clearance I think of CoG more than I think clearance. CoG being more important than flat belly or just about anything else.:;

When I think of belly clearance I think of CoG more than I think clearance. CoG being more important than flat belly or just about anything else.:;

This is true also--but there is even a point to where too low of a COG will hurt you--aka belly clearance...

I can totally agree with this. This as been more of a quest to get a general idea of what "belly" clearance folks are running and how its working out for them. My plan is to keep a nice, high but flat belly, yet still keep the overall COG low while retaining the looks of the original vehicle. Probably won't be buggy low, I still want to retain a mostly up-right seating position, but not full height. This may involve a little bit of sectioning or channeling the body to get what I'm after :D. But first I need to lay the ground work.

This is true also--but there is even a point to where too low of a COG will hurt you--aka belly clearance...

I can buy that. Isn't that what water in the tires is for :D :D :redneck:

Here's what I've got so far, I don't know how long this is going to take me, but its farther than I've gotten over the past 4-5 years of 'talking' about it and parts whoring. I'm probably going to call this the "stop talking about it and just build something already" Build :flipoff:

Frame set at 20" +/-
DSCN2875.sized.jpg

Slide in an axle at "ride height":
DSCN2876.sized.jpg

DSCN2877.sized.jpg

Little more dinking around to see how things fit. Front axle is 5" forward of "stock" and pretty close to right under the highest kick-up of the frame. Engine will be going back both for weight distribution and to clearance the axle. I might even pull what will be left of the body forward to get the proportions right. We'll see when I get to that stage.
DSCN2880.sized.jpg

Right now I'm waiting for some brackets and start laying out links and drive train.
________
HEADSHOPS

Last edited: