• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

bending hard brake line?

dove'd85

what kind of bender are you using to bend your brake lines? also what kind of flaring tool are you using? i keep having problems flaring brakelines i am not sure how much line should be sticking out with i go to flare the end? thanks
]
james

depending on how thick the line is my boss usually uses just his thumbs to bend line, for flaring he uses the flareing kit we sell works pretty good, not sure which bender he has for the thicker stuff. he does it quite a bit though cause we are one of the few NAPA's that will due hydro brake lines and other hydro lines of any sort custom made

I always use a regular old tubing bender for the right size, and a regular old double flair kit for the right size. I tend to try not to use my hands simply because it usually doesnt look as good when I try and do that, haha.

Generally speaking (if you read the direction with some kits), the amount of tube sticking out of the flair bar should be equal to the thickness of the "base" if the flair die, if that makes sense. Has worked perfect for me many times. Also, try filing the end flat, chamfering the outside edge, then deburring it. Making it nice and flat with a file makes a big difference, as well as the chamfer.

~T.J.

Last edited:
if you dont have a bender and are worried about kinking the tube, fill it with sand or salt and then bend it, the sand keeps the tube from colapsing, also, flare kits are like alot of other tools, you get what you pay for, the cheapest flare tool that will give good results is the Ridgid flare tool, stay away from the parts house and harbour freight models is you want a good one.

I always use a regular old tubing bender for the right size, and a regular old double flair kit for the right size. I tend to try not to use my hands simply because it usually doesnt look as good when I try and do that, haha.

Generally speaking (if you read the direction with some kits), the amount of tube sticking out of the flair bar should be equal to the thickness of the "base" if the flair die, if that makes sense. Has worked perfect for me many times. Also, try filing the end flat, chamfering the outside edge, then deburring it. Making it nice and flat with a file makes a big difference, as well as the chamfer.

~T.J.

I agree on both counts. Good tools help a lot too. Here's the bender I use:
sum-900156_w.jpg

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=SUM%2D900156&N=700+%2D114303+115&autoview=sku

If your going to use a bender buy a decent one. I bought a cheap-o one from NAPA, used it for a couple bends and threw it in the junk tool box. Re-did the lines by hand using my axle tube and jack handle to get a good radius to work from.

i keep having problems flaring brakelines i am not sure how much line should be sticking out with i go to flare the end?
As 84Toyota4x4 said, the base of the die doubles as a gauge to measure stick out.

Go to NAPA and tell them you need some dies for the flare tool. They love to spontaneously self destruct from time to time. Once the "nipple" bends even a little, it's all over. Order five of them for backup. They shouldn't cost more than a buck or two each.

If you don't have one, go get a proper tube cutter. Anything else will make a crooked cut, and you'll have a hell of a time putting a double flare on a crooked cut. With a proper cutter, you should never have to do anything to the end of the tube; just cut and flare. Any attack with a file or such will likely make the end crooked.

I use a Ridid bender and cutter and an Imperial flaring tool. All from plumbing\hvac shops. You will deffinatly get what you pay for with these three tools.

them fancy benders are nice and all, but if you bend alot of line you will quickly learn it has its limitations. I have one (yes its a good one) and hardly use it. I use my thumbs most of the time and sometimes an assortment of old pulleys helps too. that tool never fits and most lines have to be bent in place unless its a very short one. ever try to feed that tool and a line between mufflers and gas tanks. I have prebent too many lines just to straiten it out to get it in place. the more you bend it it gets harder and tougher to work with (work hardened).

about the flairing tool. if flairing old lines, there is no good way. old lines are hard.

new lines I have found even with a Snapon flair kit it strill pushes the tube out of the clamp jig unless I put the jig in the vise and secure it that way.

good luck:awesomework: :beer:

Old thread.
I'm thinking about buying a flaring, bending kit to work on some brake lines. Looking for recommendations on a decent kit. Looking online, prices range from $400 to the $30 harbor freigh special. Looking to spend, say $ 100, what brand would you get??

There are a lot of kits in the ~$100 range that are good...I have a Mac (or Matco, can't remember!) kit that came with all the styles of flare tools, for about $120 on sale, had it for years, and works well...Key is to be patient, clamp that line good with the tool, and clean the end up good that is to be flared...

As for a bender, I'm kinda with B-rad; you can never bend a long line then expect to get it installed without taking out some of the bends...I have a bender, but I typically bend mine in place, using whatever I can to make the bend (pulley, etc...). One other thing I will add, if you are buying new line, look at the easy bend stuff at NAPA...Really nice, easy to bend by hand, and really hard to kink...:awesomework:

I would spend the money on the best flaring tool you can and forget about the bender or buy the cheapest bender if you really want one. I use scrap tube or other round things to make a nice radius or just use your hands. The flare is way more important than the bend.

If I did a lot of brake stuff or was planning to puild a new rig I would buy the tool Crash uses... I had him flare some lines on my truck that I could not get to seal up with my flare tool.

I would spend the money on the best flaring tool you can and forget about the bender or buy the cheapest bender if you really want one. I use scrap tube or other round things to make a nice radius or just use your hands. The flare is way more important than the bend.

If I did a lot of brake stuff or was planning to puild a new rig I would buy the tool Crash uses... I had him flare some lines on my truck that I could not get to seal up with my flare tool.

I agree. A cheap flaring tool is a PITA. But then you have to weigh the cost vs use. Yeh you could buy a nice flaring tool but how often are you going to use it? Sometimes a cheap one does the trick. Just saying. :cool:

Flaring lines is a bitch. Nice tool, it sucks. Bad tool it sucks more.

OLD line sucks the WORST.

I have a crappy flare tool, I have a snapon flare tool, and I have a VERY fancy one like the OEMs use to.

That said I ALWAYS buy new line with flared ends. I can use a measuring tape and bend nicely. Thats all thats needed to use PRE FLARED lines.

Yesterday I put two preflared lines on a truck with NO bender and NO flare tool in less time than reading this thread.

Flaring line SUCKS, why do so many people just have to "do it"? Is it a challenge? Some kind of rights of passage?

I dunno, but it makes me nervous to know that most folks doing a below average job of flaring lines are putting them in their braking system!!!