• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bending Jeep Corner Gaurds?

Clark

Does anyone know how they bend up the jeep corner armor out of 3/16"? i've got some ideas but none seem very accurate.

pic for reference. I'm not talking about the flare, just the corner of the body.
prodpic-14-04-023-A.jpg

Does anyone know how they bend up the jeep corner armor out of 3/16"? i've got some ideas but none seem very accurate.

pic for reference. I'm not talking about the flare, just the corner of the body.
prodpic-14-04-023-A.jpg

id guess those made from 3/16ths are press bent. as in made in a machine that stamps the shape then bends the radius.

whats your idea?

My ideas are, (they all invlove possibly wasting the whole panel if bent wrong, or even off by 1/4")

1)cut the panel out to shape, then heat and bend it around something that's the same radius

2)make comp cut corners so that you only have to bend 4" of material and not the full height of the stock corner, then you could bolt on the panel to the side, and bend it inplace and bolt it to the tail light area. There would be some spring back, and probably wouldn't be perfect.

3)buy some already bent up. $$:booo:

cut them yourself proper dimensions, make a few sets. then take them to a local fab shop to put the correct radius brake on them :D Not sure exactly what process they use to do it. If the radius is too large for a brake press die, it was probably done in a plate roller. I dont like Heating stuff unnessicarily, it does alot of stuff, besides what you want it to :D Cold working in a roller or a brake will retain the shape of the peice much better. Try to get an accurate CLR of the corner, and call around to some Fab shopps. :cool:

I think a press with a set of dies would be the best way to do that. It shouldn't be too hard to make dies that work being it's just a basic radius.

prodpic-14-04-023-A.jpg

Let me know if you come up with something. Nobody makes anything for an intermediate CJ besides gay ass diamond plate. <---- Says the guy with the gay ass diamond plate.

Word. to Binder. You could use your large hydraulic press im sure you have, and make a couple dies. those things cant be more than 20" ??? DIY all inhouse. How wide is the inside of your hydro press clark? could make a wider one real easy. Since your not going to get full depth on the lower die, it could probably be plate in the correct size stood on edge, and a peice of pipe/tube or rolled plate for the top die. Kinda butch, but reel cheap.

Or just get a shop to do it and support the local economy. :flipoff:

found some press brake talk on pirate-

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819915&highlight=large+radius+press+brake

Bump form em for a cool look? :cool:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840027&highlight=large+radius+press+brake

http://www.thefabricator.com/Bending/Bending_Article.cfm?ID=158

Not sure if these would be stout enough without full length support, but who knows? i think they will do 3/16. not sure on a supplier.

http://www.thefabricator.com/Bending/Bending_Article.cfm?ID=249

A buddy of mine has done this.

He took a couple pieces of pipe with the right inside and outside radii, cut them in half and used them as dies to press the sheet metal.

Here's the cool redneck part--he rigged the deal in a Harbor Frieght log splitter and it worked perfect.

Was just looking at the genright comp cut corners on their site, this is what their description says;

"The 90 degree bend is formed with a single "hit" die on a CNC press brake to assure this product matches the shape of your Jeeps tub."

I know its kind of vague but i guess it gives you an idea :awesomework:

for cheap dies you need a couple scrap bottles (welding tanks out of cert). They come in so many different sizes it should be easy to find two that fit together.

Or use large diameter pipe to do it. Just brace up the pipe with alot of strongbacks welded on the outsides of the dies.

Clark, I have a buddy with a sheet metal shop also in Edgewood, I'll ask him about this, but I bet he could do it on his equipment.

I'd get some 4" pipe (if thats what the radius is????) heat up the steal then bend it around the pipe.

Just a thought, but I'd buy some instead of trying to make them.

Clark, I have a buddy with a sheet metal shop also in Edgewood, I'll ask him about this, but I bet he could do it on his equipment.

Thank you, I'm definately interested!!! Give me a call or PM me after you get a chance to talk to him.

Clark, I am in the market for some comp cut corners for a 03 tj, Not a unlimited. Lemme know

I will be sure to post up if i end up making these! I noticed shipping these is a killer so buying them in the mail isn't cheap at all! I mean $300-$700(w/fenders) for comp corners + shipping is nuts. I can cut them right now no problem, it's a matter of getting them bent up to be a perfect fit.