• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best bushings for four link

Eddyj

Anybody set up a four link with poly bushings? I'm on a tight budget, 2 kids and a high maintenance wife. I know it's better to use rod ends but can't afford adapters and ends right now but I am ready to four link rear. I'm not afraid to fab and could switch when money's available. Was going to pick up bushings from offroad connection and just do it but thought I would ask so I don't end up wasting my time. Also my jeep is about 110 wheelbase was just going to get your .02 on welding front diff can't afford locker for 60.

Re: 4 link on a budget

I've seen lots of them built using only bushings.Seem to work just fine. :****:

I would use bushings on one end and 3/4 heims on the other.

Check out Ruffstuff specialties rod end kits... They are dirt cheap and come with the rod ends, misalignments, jam nuts, and tube adapters.

They also sell the bushings too, I like to buy local sometimes, but usually it is cheaper to mail order those type of things.

Welded front will hold, but sucks for turning and tight spots on the trails.

Yeah I know it will hold up I was just wondering about turning you hear people bitching about lockers in front. But this is trail only I'm just trying to make something I can crawl in for dirt cheap and realiable. But don't want to waste time doing something and it having a negative effect. I didn't know if the bushings would allow for axle to bind and hop when you are pushing it kinda hard. I hate the spring wrap I get now.

We have some budget stuff cheaper than ruffstuff, just be sure to build it where it will not be a point of failure doing it twice is the most expensive way...

The two four links i have had were bushing type and they do great until they wear out. Mine are adjstable but u still have to pull them out and tighten them every few rides. I wish mine were heims.

Here are the pics

Attachments

• clifton.jpg
    clifton.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 400
  • clifton3.jpg
    clifton3.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 402

Those are the ones you weld on? Just the spears? Have you beat on them at all how they hold up?

I used factory tj bushings, there softer then poly and allow more flex without ripping apart over time. I'm running a 4 link front and rear with 18 inch sway aways and get full travel. It's been like this for 2 years and have never had to change any of the bushings. You can pick up a pair of bushings for $14 at napa then the sleeve to weld on comes from rubicon express about $5 each. Or you can get the right size DOM and cut your own. And for the links I used .25 wall 2" square tubing.

Anyone got any suggestions on oem bushings? I'm at 300hp and looking for 42's I was worried about jeep bushings holding up. Maybe ford superduty? ???

havent finished the build yet but they hold up on the lower links of a tractor for years just burn them in hot

Someone else said use tractor supply heims on one end, check dirt track racing sites check out new or used track bars and heims they are low priced and would work for upper link bars,, or for bushings look at a toyota 4 runner factory 4link they use 8 very large rubber bushings and you could cut and sleeve factory links and make them your length! Hey Just a few ideas from a fellow low budget guy!!

I was concerned with side load on the tsc heims. Are the Toyota bushings better than TJ bushings? I got no experience with toys. Hate to drag this out but I've seen those generic bushings just rip and always heard oems are better.

take 1.5 x3" .25 wall tubing cut a nock about 2 inches into each end put the ts end up in the tube and burn it in all the way around