• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

best cam for stock valve train 5.3?

patric8332

Pretty sure this is in the right section if not please direct me to where to place it....

Looking for some info on what would be a good can to run I have a 99 model 5.3 just bought it waiting on my motor mounts and flywheel to get here before the install but I'm wanting to go with a slightly bigger cam nothing crazy though I've heard about puttingna stock ls6 into it and thought about going that direction if I go after market can I'm wanting to go with more low end power band I like to play in the rock but not hit them wide open more into crawling I would like a little bit.more of a lope than the stock cam offers but without having to spend a crazy amount of money I don't ride every weekend but every now and then I like to find the skinny pedal lol.....

Any advice would be great if anybody wonders my set up is going into a buggy already have front Dana 60 chromoly 35 splines Detroit locker 5.38 gears 35 spline chromoly drive flanges rear is 14 bolt welded 5.38 gears and running 44 inch tsl

Don't bash me too hard for asking just always been told you can't ever learn without asking questions thanks

Re: best cam for stock valve train ls1?

I'm not bashing but the 5.3 isn't a ls1. Ls1 has 350 cubes and has an aluminum block and heads. I'm pretty sure the 99 is an LM7 which is an iron block with aluminum heads and is 323 cubes.

If it was mine I'd leave it stock since you aren't looking to go for a ton more power. They make good power, but if you want more I'd look onto a 6.0. Hope this helps :drinkers:

Ok thanks changed the title on that one I knew better actually just wasn't thinking...I got a good deal on the set up so I couldn't turn it down I'd love the 6.0 but can't afford one anytime soon

Re:

Call up tick performance, speak to Martin. They can spec you a cam. Take advice from engine builders. Also the stall matters a little bit.

Re:

There isnt a oem cam thats worth the time to swap to even be noticeable. Hit up texas speed/brian tooley/eps/cam motion/ ect they all make good product.

Also you will want to swap valve springs and pushrods atleast otherwise just leave it alone

Re:

Mortalis5509 said:
Call up tick performance, speak to Martin. They can spec you a cam. Take advice from engine builders. Also the stall matters a little bit.

Martin no longer works for Tick just an FYI for everyone out there.

Last I heard, the best bet now is find Martin direct on Facebook or find another person to spec you a cam. NC is loaded with reputable shops that can do this. RPM, Mayhem, Blazin' High Performance, PCM of NC etc.