• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best type of disc brake pad???

Mean Green

Duh, which way do I go, George?
I am going to do the rear disc pads om my LJ. I am wondering which is the best type of pad to use? Semi-metallic? Ceramic? Carbon fiber?

I am running 35" tires.

Thanks,
Mean Green

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I would rather change pads then rotors, So I go the cheap route and use organics...

I am a big fan of the basic Lifetime warranty pads from Autozone. They are semi metallic, and if you buy the lifetime warranty rotors when yours wear out, that's set too. Of course they also have lifetime warranty calipers.

Why you ask? Especially in the situation of a daily driver wheeler with big tires on it, you can bitch slap your braking system and not have to worry about it because it is "already paid off" so to speak.

If you are worried about brake dust issues if you have blinging rims though, I would go Ceramic. They are low dust.

Towing? Performance fricition Carbon Metallic because of even heat distribution over the pad during the long load stops.

Otherwise, your basic lifetime warranty pads.

KarlVP said:
I am a big fan of the basic Lifetime warranty pads from Autozone. They are semi metallic, and if you buy the lifetime warranty rotors when yours wear out, that's set too. Of course they also have lifetime warranty calipers.

Why you ask? Especially in the situation of a daily driver wheeler with big tires on it, you can bitch slap your braking system and not have to worry about it because it is "already paid off" so to speak.

If you are worried about brake dust issues if you have blinging rims though, I would go Ceramic. They are low dust.

Towing? Performance fricition Carbon Metallic because of even heat distribution over the pad during the long load stops.

Otherwise, your basic lifetime warranty pads.

I may look into Carbon Metallic then. Although they are for the rears I will be putting them on the fronts also. I do tow a boat with it. It is my DD. I am not concerned about dust and I usually replace the rotors instead of turning them. (My wife works a car parts distributership. It's cheaper for me to replace the rotors than to have the old ones turned.)

Thanks everyone.

They are now, unless you got your warranty before companies changed the warranty policy. Now the common warranty is a lifetime against manufactrers defects(gay). If you purchased the pads back in the day and still have an original recipt they will honor the old lifetime warranty. Most companies are like this now.

Toyoda said:
They are now, unless you got your warranty before companies changed the warranty policy. Now the common warranty is a lifetime against manufactrers defects(gay). If you purchased the pads back in the day and still have an original recipt they will honor the old lifetime warranty. Most companies are like this now.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

I used to work for a parts store. It didn't matter if your pads were worn to the bone, broken, manf. defect or anything. You wanted a fresh set, we had to honor it.

A lot of guys with thier work trucks came in with worn pads after only a few months. We still had to replace them due to our warranty. Even though we knew that they were being used to haul stuff around.

KarlVP said:

I used to work for a parts store. It didn't matter if your pads were worn to the bone, broken, manf. defect or anything. You wanted a fresh set, we had to honor it.

A lot of guys with thier work trucks came in with worn pads after only a few months. We still had to replace them due to our warranty. Even though we knew that they were being used to haul stuff around.
How long ago was this? And if this is still true, where and what is this place called?

KarlVP said:

Sounds like the key phrase here is that "you used to", and that things may have changed since then. Perhaps your last paragraph might help to explain why things have changed.

Boomer said:
Sounds like the key phrase here is that "you used to", and that things may have changed since then. Perhaps your last paragraph might help to explain why things have changed.

No, Go to autozone. Anything they have there that is lifetime warranty is just as it states. Nothing has changed since I worked there.

The only things to nullify the lifetime warranty are as follows.

1) Off road use. (you don't have to say anything)
2) Improper installations (riiiight)
3) Incorrect application
4) racing use

The Autozone lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty. You bring the parts back and you get either a refund or a brand new part. No questions asked. All you need to remember is your phone number that you gave the system when you bought the part.

In my time I have been through,
3 steering boxes replaced twice for free after initial purchase with thier lifetime warranty.
2 entire front braking systems. Pads, rotors, calipers replaced once for free with lifetime warrant.
4 ball joints replaced once for free. Lifetime warranty
1 Ignition coil. replaced for free, lifetime warranty
1 window motor. Replaced for free lifetime warranty
1 squirrel cage blower motor replaced for free, lifetime warranty
1 set of plug wires.

In each of these instances, no questions were asked, they just gave me a brand new part.

Boomer said:
Awesome :haha: :haha: :haha:

I just get quality parts that dont break. I hate companies like autozone and schucks that sell the **** of the ****. I use only performance parts or oem and have no need for warranties yet. Just pay extra for quality and I save time having to replace cheap lifetime parts over and over again.

that is verry true, get the best that u can find and they usually have a life time warrenty. i vant some pover slot rotors for my daily driver. anyone else bored im at microsoft yaaaaaa!

03 CON said:
I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I would rather change pads then rotors, So I go the cheap route and use organics...

LOL i know that one all too well also:redneck:

but the funny part is i take care of my car. i use carbon fiber pads and if i have to i will change the rotors. my trucks well fawk'em they are meant to be beat:flipoff:

Toyoda said:
I just get quality parts that dont break. I hate companies like autozone and schucks that sell the **** of the ****. I use only performance parts or oem and have no need for warranties yet. Just pay extra for quality and I save time having to replace cheap lifetime parts over and over again.

Obviously, you have never seen my drive.