• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best way to remove 14 bolt tubes.

Cut the tube off short enough to be able to cut toward the chunk from the inside with a sawzall. When the tube pinches the blade it will come out.

Torch plug welds or if you're fancy and have a mill, cut them out. Cut the tubes close to housing. Torch/ plasma a round piece of scrap you can weld into the inside of the tube. Weld the piece of scrap in the tube and throw in the press. The welding on the inside of the tube should help draw the tube in as well.

*Only weld one side, then press that tube out. Then weld other side and press out. Didn't figure I needed to explain but thought I'd at least make myself clear.

I have had good luck with cutting the plug welds then using a sawzall to cut lengthwise from the inside of the tube until it pinches the blade. It doesnt take long and doesnt damage the housing.

Burn the spot welds out then split the tube ,or burn the spot welds out then use a bottle jack a press out ..burning is the fastest way some I've had to split the tube also ..
I used to burn them out now. I mill them out ,use stainless mig wire to weld up...

I first cut the tubes down, leaving a couple inches visible on each side, to make it a little easier to manage. I removed a couple of the rosette welds by burning them out, but that sucked. I ended up fixturing the center section in a buddy's Bridgeport and plunged down through the welds with an end mill. By far, the mill was the best method. I then turned a little press plate that fit the ID of the axle tube with about a .25 inch shoulder to push the tube out. I chucked it all up in a 20ton press and pressed the tubes out. One side required about 15tons of force, the other side needed closer to 16tons. It's a lot of labor but worked out pretty good.

free image host

waggener1 said:
I first cut the tubes down, leaving a couple inches visible on each side, to make it a little easier to manage. I removed a couple of the rosette welds by burning them out, but that sucked. I ended up fixturing the center section in a buddy's Bridgeport and plunged down through the welds with an end mill. By far, the mill was the best method. I then turned a little press plate that fit the ID of the axle tube with about a .25 inch shoulder to push the tube out. I chucked it all up in a 20ton press and pressed the tubes out. One side required about 15tons of force, the other side needed closer to 16tons. It's a lot of labor but worked out pretty good.

This is what I was trying to say. Except I didn't do the fancy bridgeport. Just the ol cut'n torches!

wizzo said:
This is what I was trying to say. Except I didn't do the fancy bridgeport. Just the ol cut'n torches!

Since I didn't have an oxy/acetylene rig available, I tried using my plasma cutter... the resulting hole was nasty. The mill was definitely the way to go.