• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

BFGs MT or AT??

hunkajunk

I'm New (translated means ignorant)

I need new tires. I like what I've read on the BFGs. Discount tire has both the AT and MT for the same price (30x950x15). My rig (daily driver) is a bone stock 95 YJ. I want to start playing in the dirt on weekends with the family.

I'm worried the ATs won't be enough in the mud, but that the MTs will be like ice skating on wet roads.

Thoughts, advice, help for the feable minded.:helpsmilie:

You’ll be more capable off-road with the MT’s. Especially in mud. The AT’s will have less road noise and will be marginally better on wet and slippery paved roads.

I’ve had both and would personally go with the MT’s.

If you going to be doing any mud get the MT's then get the center lugs siped and you shouldn't have any problems with wet roads.

Do you care about fuel economy or road noise on your daily driver? MT's are a little louder and have more rolling resistance. Goodyear MTR is also a good tire to consider.

I ran AT's for about 40-50K miles. They tended to hydroplane on wet roads. Lotsa fun. The water has a hard time getting out of those treadblocks.

I ran MT's for a year or so and I had no trouble on wet roads (I don't drive fast). Get the MT's and get them sipped if you feel the need.

After having both. I did okay with the AT's off road. On dry rock they work very well. They are also very good in snow (aired down to 5psi)

the MT's excel in most conditions except the snow. They work better on road for puddles, but they aren't that great on just rain slicked roads.

I would go with the MT's and have them siped.

Well if you off road at all in the NW (RAIN=MUD) I would go with the MT.
As far as the statements made "MT's except the snow & aren't great in rain" everything is relative. If you sipe the middle and drive normal you shouldn't have a problem. I just pulled a set of MTR's off and at the pressure they worked great in snow. I never sipped them and never had an issue with wet roads. I also drove it like a lifted, over sized tired dual purpase vehicle :D .
So what do you want from your tire & can you live with the it's limitations.
Answer those questions and that should make up your mind for you.

Wow!! Thanks for all the info.

Sounds like I can't go horribly wrong with either

My heap has a 4 banger and I'm going from craaawpppy 205/75/15 toyo spectrum junk (on when I bought it) :puke:to 30/9.5/15. Won't the size increase alone hurt accel and gass?

From the responses I’m thinking that for a beginner, who doesn’t know how much wheeling I might end up doing, the ATs will do for starters. Tires wear out and there is always time to upgrade later.

Thanks for the patience!

Im running the At's now and they clog in mud, do alright in rain, ok in snow, excel on rocks, packed dirt, gravel, and loose dry dirt. Once it gets wet out they turn into slicks.