• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Biggest tire on toy axles.

Everything will break.. driving style has a lot to do with it... I know someone on bald 39'' Iroks with a 4.3l that destroyed a couple of inputs and a set of 30 spline longs!!! But you could see air underneath his rig before it landed!!!:beer::wtf:

Ok, same question for a dana 44 front. Driving with a brain and not foot through the floor everywhere, what is the biggest you would go? It will be open in front.

I generally drive pretty conservatively. until i cant make the line i want to with finesse. Then i gotta lay on the stupid pedal. :redneck:

DEAL! goddamn, what do those ****ers weigh? a 37" bogger weighs about the same as a 42" irok doesnt it?

I can tell you that it is almost impossible to follow him in the snow. He rutted up Copper Creek so bad that we were winching in his path. It was insane.

Everyone in front of me gave up on breaking trail because the snow was so deep. It was over my tires.

Obviously driving style plays an enormous role on drivetrain survivability, but vehicle weight is also another really big factor to consider. If the vehicle running 44"+ tires weighs under 4,000lbs. and is driven with respect of the drivetrain then running Toyota or Dana 44 axles should be alright (I would upgrade to Longs or RCV's though).
A buddy who has run 44" Boggers/46" Claws and 49" Iroks on his Jeep says that with the larger tire the vehicle doesn't have to work nearly as hard to get through what we all with 35" to 37" tires struggle to conquer. Therefore the drivetrain is not worked as hard due to the ease in which the terrain can be traversed by running the larger diameter tires.
Only wheeling in snow would go along way towards keeping the axles together and that combined with keeping the vehicle as light as possible should mean that Toyota or Dana 44 axles that have been upgraded with the strongest axle shafts on the market (some trussing wouldn't hurt either) could handle 44"+ tires if the skinny pedal is managed correctly IMO.