• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

BK Tow Rig Build - 7.3 tips

BustedKnucklefilms

402783_10100518712847161_7008660_52417243_1367530697_n.jpg

So I picked up a Mint 02 Superduty with a 7.3 Deisel 4wd Crew Cab Lariat with 200k on it for a steal. I am getting around 17mpg around town right now. It is straight piped with a bully dog programmer.

This is the first diesel I have ever owned. Any tips or tricks I should know about?

I want this thing to last so what do I need to do Maintenance wise?
What about adding some oil to the tank at every fill up? I know some guys put 2 stroke mix in theirs.

I need to get some better mileage out of it so what are some good places to start on that?

Thanks
-Matt

2cycle is a good idea, it just adds some lubricity back to the fuel that the low sulphur takes away and if you buy it by the gallon at Walmart it's cheaper. Change your fuel filter every or at least every other oil change. Make sure you have good oil level at all times for your high pressure oil pump. Cleanable drop in filter wouldn't hurt and keeps you from buying filters.

Is the bully dog a downloader or flip chip?

Looks good! Nice find.

I've got an 02 7.3 6spd 4wd with 3.73 gear. I see around 16-17mpg on 285 BFG AT's. Typically daily drive it like a jackass on the 75hp setting on a TS Performance tuner. Tow on 50hp. Really with these trucks 17mpg out of a 4wd is respectable. I've been running KleenDiesel with most fillups. Valvoline Blue 15-40 syn blend oil and Motorsport filters every 5-7k miles. Just did a BDProducts motor flush and RevX treatment with this last oil change and it's running much smoother with a little gain in mileage. Watch for turbo/compressor surge with these trucks when towing with a programmer on. A Wicked Wheel in the turbo will fix this and is a cheap but good mod. I saw lower EGT's because of better airflow and no surge after I did that and installed the newer style Bellowed up pipes from SinisterDiesel. Also if it doesn't have it already get a good set of Boost/EGT/Trans Temp gauges.

Full Mod list on mine:
BHAF, Wicked Wheel, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Straight Pipe Turboback, TS Performance 6 Position Chip, South Bend ConOFE and Kevlar Throwout bearing, Autometer EGT and Boost Gauges.

Ive got a 02 with 275,000 miles run rotella 15w40 in it since new change fuel filter every other oil change an the only thing ive ever dun to mine is water pump an batteries. Dont get the best mileage cause its lifted but oh well. Thats a nice truck :dblthumb:

I've had several 7.3's and have beat the **** out of every single one with no issues. I've pulled loads accross the country with it sitting on the governor for the entire trip. The key I believe in to keeping a 7.3 together and lasting is to keep all the programmers and stuff off of them. Leave the programmers off of them and just help with air in and air out.

Like mentioned above, change the fuel filter every other oil change. Also, try to leave it running whenever you can. Keep you a spare key and each time you run into the store etc. lock the doors and leave her running.

these are good motors, not the most powerful, and will last a long time and pull really good if you take care of them.

Looking at the TS 6 position chip or the Edge Evolution. I am not looking to Race, I would just like a little more power and better fuel economy.

Thoughts?

BustedKnucklefilms said:
Looking at the TS 6 position chip or the Edge Evolution. I am not looking to Race, I would just like a little more power and better fuel economy.

Thoughts?

more power = more mods to be reliable = shorter lifespan

BustedKnucklefilms said:

Thoughts?
Call Swamps diesel over in Nashville Matt, they did all my work i have owned my 7.3 for 9 years and anytime im in it its on the mat I got there 200/30% single shot hybrid injectors in mine with there custom tuned chip a monster box tranny 5 inch exhaust and a cold air intake and its a beast not as powerful as these new trucks but it holds its own to be 13 years old and i have pulled across the scales and weighed in at 32,500 with a load before and pulled it strong I got 230,00 miles on it now and still love this truck if you take care of them they will last, keep a check on the little caged needle bearing in the back of the wheel bearings to they seem to go out alot on mine and everybody wants to sale you a new wheel bearing and all you have to do is buy that caged bearing and put in it. I would give them a call and talk to Jonathan bout it and tell him what your wanting and he will hook you up. They are getting ready to do my Garret gt38r turbo as well to get a little more boost. Oh yeah i have had a chip in mine since the day i bought it and it is still rolling to coal out of it everday.

Agree with the below. The TS chip is the same chip as the bully dog. TS takes their chips and puts the Bully Dog sticker on them and sells them to Bully Dog. They have been know to miss programming the chip to raise the line pressures in the transmission and with the increase in power you toast the tranny.

Leave it stock and put a good exhaust and intake on it and be done with it.

My dads trucks has EVERY bolt on (intercooler, banks waste gate, quick spool impeller in the turbo etc.) that you can get with the exception of a chip and it's still running the stock trans and gets 20 mpg.

If you have any issues with the motor it will be when the stock injector solenoids quit working. $1500 for a new set and your ready to roll again.

toofast070 said:
Check out powerstrokehelp.com I would stay away from the TS performance unless you want to do more mods.

YOUNG said:
The TS chip is the same chip as the bully dog. TS takes their chips and puts the Bully Dog sticker on them and sells them to Bully Dog. They have been know to miss programming the chip to raise the line pressures in the transmission and with the increase in power you toast the tranny.

Just to clear up a lil misinformation, yes we make bullydogs (along with some others) flip chips but they have their own programming that they use and burn on to the chips. it's also not possible to "miss program a chip" and cause the damage you are talking about. once a chip is burned it either works or it doesn't, meaning if the truck starts and runs, the program is there. if the information didn't get burned onto the chip, the truck will not start. A standard chip burner does not have the option to choose different parts of a tune, most chip burners are using tunes that are already done and just transferring the file to the chip. There are just a few custom tuners that have the capabilities to change the files (I’m only talking about tuners using our 7.3 flip chips)

the 7.3 computer and chip technology is not as advanced as the newer trucks, that’s why they 7.3's usually respond best to the flip chips rather than a downloader.

Also you can use the ts chips with out any other modifications to a truck and it will work properly.

Adding a chip doesn't mean shorter life span to an engine, if used properly. Yes, you can run high horsepower tunes that will be hard on parts but if you use a little sense, keep up with your maintenance, your truck will last. I’ve personally dealt with hot shot drivers using our product with 300k - 500k on their engines, trust me, the truck is falling apart around the drive train at that point.

Like anything else out there everyone has their own opinion but I just thought I’d throw in my .02 sense on what I’ve seen in my 7 years of diesel performance.

BustedKnucklefilms said:

Thoughts?
yeah i got a thought ....... Sell it and get a 6.7 powerstroke

Matt, I got a set of mickey thompson classic locks with black rings for that truck. They look good let me know if you are interested.

7.3 is a tank got a 02 with almost 400k on it motor still runs like a top but everything else is another story

On my 01 7.3 I've got a Tymar DIY air intake, wicked wheel in turbo, 4" Diamond Eye turbo back dual exhaust, and a DP TUNER F5 chip with 8 settings from stock-140hp and a Southbend CON-OFE clutch. I've have all of this on for 55,000 miles (138,000) and haven't had a lick of trouble out of it. Other than the Southbend clutch. I've hated it every since it was put in.

what is the advantage of the wicked wheel?
RandysMJ said:
On my 01 7.3 I've got a Tymar DIY air intake, wicked wheel in turbo, 4" Diamond Eye turbo back dual exhaust, and a DP TUNER F5 chip with 8 settings from stock-140hp and a Southbend CON-OFE clutch. I've have all of this on for 55,000 miles (138,000) and haven't had a lick of trouble out of it. Other than the Southbend clutch. I've hated it every since it was put in.