• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Blue smoke powerstroke....

lilpain

Hey,
I have a 2000 Ford Super Duty F350 Powerstroke 7.3l
The truck is blowing blue smoke. It started a week ago and wasn't much. Now everytime I easily get on the gas a cloud of blue smoke will come out, then when I let off the gas another cloud, sometimes while I'm driving at a steady gas pedal a few puffs as well. But if I put the gas to the floor it dumps black smoke, as soon as I let off of the pedal a huge blue smoke. I have not noticed any Loss in power what so ever or the truck running wierd, but I have lost a little bit of oil within the last month, maybe a half qrt:mad:

What the truck has-
. Stage 2 injectors, ball bearing turbo, 4 inch exhaust, diy intake ,Air Dog II fuel system , DP Tuner with 7 custom tunes, pillar gauges, new glow plugs, new up pipes, Mag Hytec deep tranny pan and larger tranny cooler all done this last year. The truck has 183k miles on it.

Thx in advance! :corn:

Powerstroke 7.3 Turbo gas engine? Hmmmmm
Mine's a 7.3 turbo diesel. I didn't know there was an equivalent in a gas engine. What's your chip programmed for? If I go "extreme" mine smokes up black off & on. Never seen blue smoke. But it's got plenty of power on the "towing" set point.

blue smoke is oil.
black smoke is fuel.
white smoke is water.

typical sources of the oil are injector orings or turbo seals. you may also have excesive blowby thats pumping large amounts of oil thru the intercooler.

first place id look is the fuel filter. pop the top, if the fuel looks even slightly dicolored, its going to be injector orings.

I really doubt rings or seals on a powerstroke. Turbo and injectors like suggested are the best places to start. I'd lean more towards injectors though since everything was done recently. I don't see the Turbo going bad. But a screw up on the injector install could be showing up.

I really doubt rings or seals on a powerstroke. Turbo and injectors like suggested are the best places to start. I'd lean more towards injectors though since everything was done recently. I don't see the Turbo going bad. But a screw up on the injector install could be showing up.
I was wondering if a seal got pinched on a injector? Possible? Every thing was done a year ago. I've put 5k miles on it sense this has happend

I got a buddy that does these all week/end with his eyes closed. I hope we find it out tomorrow. I need my tow rig next weekend!

I was wondering if a seal got pinched on a injector? Possible? Every thing was done a year ago. I've put 5k miles on it sense this has happend

Definitely a possibility, I know it's easy to screw up an injector install on the 7.3's

i cant tell you how many injectors i pull with torn orings... but i will say its over 50% of them!
aperently peopledont think they needto lube them when installing, then tear them on the cup

I got a buddy that does these all week/end with his eyes closed. I hope we find it out tomorrow. I need my tow rig next weekend!

did he do the last repair :eeek: Tell him to open his eyes when he fixes it this time :redneck: