• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bobby Tanner's new shocks?

patooyee

I'm not on the forums as much as I used to be with work, buggy, and house repair keeping me busy pretty much constantly right now. I did watch a video of Bobby the other day on G+ though and he appears to have changed to some type of air shock / ORI / something? What are they and why?

I asked him about them and he said they were monster truck shocks. A man will not have to worry about breaking the shafts on them bad boys like bobby has done in the past, they look to have a 1.5" shafts at least. He has not done any shock tuning at all with them. He put them on and put it on the trailer to head to AOP. I am sure with some run time they will be dialed in. But from the looks of them there not too bad for straight off the trailer. Also if they will hold a 10k lb monster truck surely we could use them.

Are you wanting to know brand specifics or what? Cole Shirley should be able to find out for us.

Just generally what they are, so yes, brand? I guess they're air shocks? I didn't see springs and pretty much any air shock will have a large shaft so I guess you are describing an air shock? I thought it was everyone's general consensus that air shocks sucked though so I figured if he was running them they must be something new / space-age / top-of-the-line / revolutionary. Is the term "monster truck shock" indicative of something specific besides just an air shock? Is there something special about a "monster truck shock?" Not trying to be sarcastic, just am completely clueless. :)

Since Shelby is dating/marrying Dennis Anderson's son, they're probably some of theirs. They build them from scratch.

patooyee said:
Just generally what they are, so yes, brand? I guess they're air shocks? I didn't see springs and pretty much any air shock will have a large shaft so I guess you are describing an air shock? I thought it was everyone's general consensus that air shocks sucked though so I figured if he was running them they must be something new / space-age / top-of-the-line / revolutionary. Is the term "monster truck shock" indicative of something specific besides just an air shock? Is there something special about a "monster truck shock?" Not trying to be sarcastic, just am completely clueless. :)

Monster truck shocks are big ass air shocks from what I understand.

I believe that the consensus of "air shocks suck" came from everyone running 2.0 air shocks that were barely rated to support the weight of a rig, much less absorb high speed impacts.

2.5 air shocks weren't/aren't as popular because of their price compared to a regular coilover, but the people that ran them (especially on light weight rigs) seemed to love them

TBItoy said:
I believe that the consensus of "air shocks suck" came from everyone running 2.0 air shocks that were barely rated to support the weight of a rig, much less absorb high speed impacts.

That and the fact that they are emulsions and therefore oil inside will froth sooner or later. But I know most of what Bobby does (and Monster trucks for that matter) is quick single-obstacle stuff and then sit for a long time, so maybe it doesn't impact him / them at all.

Re: Re: Re: Bobby Tanner's new shocks?

Neal3000 said:
I thought most monster trucks used huge coilovers?
jysuja8e.jpg

Thats what I thought

They've used every kind of shock you can think of throughout the years. Newest ones look like huge, remote resi ORIs, might even have bypasses

grave-digger-monster-truck-photo-432780-s-1280x782.jpg

Grave-Digger-2-800x600.jpg

They are probably night stalkers or a version of the night stalker shocks. I'm sure the grave digger crew has all their own **** but back in 2008 i was looking to put them on my heavy ass rig. They were pricey at the time and after my 2.5 fox air shocks held up to what I put them through in ttc I kept them. I think 2.5 air shocks are under estimated to say the least if tuned right.

yankster said:
That's what I thought. It stood out as a bouncer with great shock tuning.
Never really paid attention to the shock tuning but it did seem to work better than most. His trophy case would probably agree.

Air shocks do suck. If the rig they are on sucks. If you have a stable chassis, and tune the air shocks they can work quite well.

I love how people talk about "tuning" air shocks when I've never even heard of anyone changing a shim stack in one.

patooyee said:
I love how people talk about "tuning" air shocks when I've never even heard of anyone changing a shim stack in one.

yup the extent of the tuning is filling them oil and then pressuring them up. There are guys here local that tune coilovers that way as well :dunno: :wtflol:

Fox 2.5 air shocks....... doin' work :dblthumb:

BRANDON DILLON CONQUERS FLAT NASTY BOUNTY HILL!

Brandon Dillon VS the Adventure Off Road Park $10,000 bounty hill

Also, the difference in Bobby's old shocks vs. all the bling-bling suspension on Plowboy.....Bobby's **** was RIGHT! Skip to 3:10 and watch the difference in Bobby's buggy and Plowboy...and there are others to watch also. This is a good comparison video.

ROCKBOUNCING INVADES BIG MEAT RUN 2014

Suspension is very similar to what makes a motocross racer fast. He who jumps the highest during a race, is usually nowhere near first place. They try to stay as close to the ground as they can over jumps, because if you're in the air, you are not accelerating. Same principal with suspension. As soft as you can get it without it sacrificing stability. If your junk's bouncing all over the place, the tires are not staying planted and getting traction. The more tires getting traction, the more acceleration (in most cases), and less breakage too.

PERFECT EXAMPLE of how Bobby's soft suspension worked like a champ. I believe he got farther than anyone that day and probably would have made it, had he not broke.

Bobby Tanner hits the AOP $10,000 bounty hill and never checks up