• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"Bolt Check"

87 Runner

I would like some feedback on what kind of bolt checks you guys do. What bolts do you check on your rig before each ride? What bolts do you check on your rig every few rides? Is there something you check 1 time a year? :fish:

I check it before every ride. There is no reason whatsoever not to.

-Link bolts
-shock bolts
-driveshafts
-steering
-trans mount
-lug nuts
-14 bolt axle shafts

I pretty much check everything that I can get to reasonably. Get yourself a nice paint pen and mark the bolts, nuts, and their location on the tabs too. It will save you tons of time - You can pretty much roll underneath, check them all, roll back out, and be done in 10 mins or less from the time you open the door to closing it.

MUCH better to check them all in the nice clean shop than be rolling around in the mud because your **** fell apart on the trail laughing1

Link, strut bolts I put a stripe on them with a paint stick to see if they have moved. I've had problems with my drive flange bolts coming loose, so I check them. Not much else gets checked....Maybe my wheel lugs every once in a while.
So far not much has fallen off, so I've good.

I run a Toyota based rig on 39 reds, so I check basically EVERYTHING before every ride. Pushing the envelope to start with, cant have any loose bolts. I'll find sometimes that my lower link jam nuts have moved a little, third member nuts get loose, engine mounts sometimes get loose, high steer arms with the " acorn" washers get a little loose. I think that's most of the usual culprits, but I try to check most everything before it leaves the shop.

Lol.... I check my oil, gas up, n hit the trails..... can't imagine having to worry about stuff falling off.....???

slravenel said:
I check it before every ride. There is no reason whatsoever not to.

-Link bolts
-shock bolts
-driveshafts
-steering
-trans mount
-lug nuts
-14 bolt axle shafts

I pretty much check everything that I can get to reasonably. Get yourself a nice paint pen and mark the bolts, nuts, and their location on the tabs too. It will save you tons of time - You can pretty much roll underneath, check them all, roll back out, and be done in 10 mins or less from the time you open the door to closing it.

MUCH better to check them all in the nice clean shop than be rolling around in the mud because your **** fell apart on the trail laughing1

This + drive flanges, high steer arm studs, propane (or gas), coolant, oil, brake & clutch fluid, steering fluid, diff fluid every few rides (I have a small leak)

Not bad practice to check seat mounting bolts & harness bolts every so often

T case fluid a few times a year

Same goes for all important fluids & air pressure for anything that leaves the driveway for a wheeling trip (rig, sxs, tow rig, trailer)

I'm not a racer and I don't beat on mine like a rented mule so after the first couple of years of doing for real bolt checks and not finding any issues I have laid off.

Now a couple times per year I will check link bolts and jam nuts, TC oil top off, diff fluid top off, drive shafts & bolts, coolant level, trans fluid level.

Once per year I'll change the oil and try to repack the front bearings, drop the belly pan and check trans mounts and such.

Most things you shouldn't have to "check" if you just pay attention to your rig.

I try to bolt check every ride, if I don't do it with a wrench, when I wash the buggy I use that as a good time to "look over " all the bolts and kick the tires.

Noticed gear dope on the garage floor and t case kept popping out of gear. Brought it to the shop for a quick "Bolt Check" and swap out an older drive shaft carrier bearing that was making racket...
Bolts had backed off between the adapter plate and the 205
Took the rear cover off to install shave kit and new cover on 14 bolt and fould a roller bearing in the bottom and a chipped tooth
Lugs holding axle were loose....
i had done a complete nut abd bot check of the whole buggy less than 4 months and 2 rides ago...
At least now everything will get freshened up and painted, new boots and boot guards installed
Check yo nuts....and bolts...

Can't recall the last time I've found a loose nut. I always use red loctite and I slightly over torque almost everything with the exception of steering arm studs and any threaded aluminum trans or case components.

When the puddle of gear oil under mine is bigger than usual i know the doubler is loose... and when the t case shifter starts moving around i know its time to tighten the moter mounts.

My maintance program isn't that advanced. I mean if something falls off, I'm all over it.
You really need to get a closer look at my rig, then you will understand.

Example: Best thing was when I slid off my line and bottomed out hard, a pair of vice grips fell out from my subframe somewhere on the ground by John G's feet. He looked at me like WTF?!? I said "man I've been looking for those for a minute" To this day I still don't know what those were holding together.

Eddyj said:
My maintance program isn't that advanced. I mean if something falls off, I'm all over it.
You really need to get a closer look at my rig, then you will understand.

Or buy something from him then you will REALLLLLLY understand!

:rolf:

we need a poke the bear emoji