• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bones and other Pro Beer drinkers... Keg-O-Rator

P

If its free, its P
It has been decided that with whats "laying around" I need to go ahead and go keg o rator. Its like every project of mine, I have a few things about that would get a good start on it and walla here we go into project ville.

I have a CO2 bottle from a pepsi machine chilling, I have a beer fridge.... athough its not official keg o rator material as its a split door with freezer I think I can still make it work. Would like to have the tap on the right side as to avoid damage to it and keep those "unsuspecting" away from my cold beers... laughing1

So lets get some tech , and oh yea I gotta keep rockin the fridge magnets.... Jrich volunteered Mason for donating a tap, says he has several that were "aquired" through out the college years.

Were we at with this.

BEFORE
kegarator.jpg

Here is a kit so you see the needed parts"

http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=16422&source=linkshare&siteID=s1q912QPrS4-pIVZpGrnxiKoZVY3grOVYQ&cat=424&page=1&

d_4081.jpg

Just $109 using your tank:

Just $109 using you

conversion-kit-refrigerator.jpg

From another site:

How to Build a Kegerator out of a Refrigerator

Creating a great keg refrigerator isn’t all that difficult but it does require some planning. You have to make some important measurements and drill a few holes so it is always better to take things slowly, and understand exactly what you plan on doing before you do it. This will ensure a clean, efficient project. Following the simple process detailed below should ensure hassle free assembly.

Know the Dimensions of Your Equipment:
A standard _ barrel keg has a diameter of 17” and a 24” height (Coors’ kegs have a 17.5” height)
The co2 tank is deceptively large. It has a 19” height and an 8” diameter.

1.) Measure Your Refrigerator

If your refrigerator cannot accommodate the dimensions of the co2 and the keg, you will probably have to use a low profile tap. These taps release the beer at a 90-degree angle, rather than straight up, which saves some valuable space. Another option is using a standard tap with a 90-degree connector piece.

2.) Placing the Faucet

Choosing the proper faucet position is crucial to ensuring a perfect pour. Generally, the best place to install the faucet is the center of the main refrigerator door. It is crucial the faucet be at least 6” away from the freezer door to ensure proper clearance.

3.) Drilling the Shank Hole

It is important that the plastic on the door where the shank is to be fitted is flat.

I. A 7/8” drill bit is required to drill the shank hole.

II. A paddle bit will work for one time use, but drilling through the door will dull the bit. The more expensive forsner bits are generally much better if you plan on using the bit more than one time.

III.Never use a standard 7/8” drill bit. The whole will come out jagged and the shank will not fit. never force the drill bit. You are drilling metal, it takes some time and patience. Let the bit do the work. Once you have drilled clean through the metal door, always realign the bit with the plastic inside to make sure it is aligned with the hole in the metal.

4.) Kegerator Kit Assembly

Begin by screwing the shank through your previously drilled hole. Tighten the shank nut on the refrigerator, so the shank is stable. The large, black washer can be placed on either side of the shank to disperse some of the pressure placed on it during the insertion.

5.) Attch Faucet

Once the shank is securely in place, attach the faucet to the shank with the shank wrench. Using a black neoprene washer, tighten the hex nut on the back of the beer line to the back of the shank.

6.) Connecting Beer Line

Again, using a neoprene washer, tighten the hex nut on the other end of the beer line to the top of your tap. Next, attach to the (don’t know word) beer connection on the top of the tap.

7.) Co2 Line

Find the co2 line. Slide one end of the line over the co2 input nipple on the side of the beer tap. Use an adjustable clamp to secure this connection. Take the other end of the co2 line onto the co2 output nipple located on the regulator. Use another adjustable clamp to secure this connection. Tighten the female hex-nut on the co2 regulator, to the threaded male connection on the co2 tank. Reinforce the connection with a plastic washer. Make sure the connection is tight, as air can escape if the two pieces are not flush together.
I. Find the shutoff valve at the beginning of the co2 line. Make sure the valve is turned toward “OFF.” Open the co2 twist handle, and listen to see if any air is leaking from the connection.

8.) Installing the Drip Tray

Locate a spot that is at least 10”, and centered below the faucet. Use a level to level the drip tray and mark the points where the two screws will be inserted. The next step is to drill the screws into the marks. Because the screws provided in your kegerator conversion kit are self piercing, you won’t need to use a drill bit. Using a power drill, slowly screw the screws through the metal. Once they have made full entry, retract the screws completely out of the holes. You will be left with two complete holes. Align the wholes of the drip tray to the holes you have just created. Reinsert the screws, attaching to drip tray to the refrigerator.

9.) Supporting the Keg

Because the bottom of each refrigerator is usually different, you may have to make some modifications to ensure your keg rests at a secure and level position. Use a level to check and see if your keg position needs to be adjusted.

If you keg needs to be adjusted, cinder blocks generally make a good leveling support if your compressor compartment is slanted in the back.

Another option is to cut a piece of steel into a support shelf, and suspend your keg below the curved bottom. Make sure to consider that a full keg weighs approximately 140 lbs.

Nice tech JohnG !!! thumb.gif

Since Im not able to "ride" out yet with the keg o rator, I decided this evening I will raise my pinky on a 8 dollar bottle of Tonganoxie Ks's finest..

Tailgate Red. ( my last bottle.... :'( )

[attachment deleted by admin]

:drinkers:
norich1, you're the high bidder and currently in the lead.
Another user may still outbid you, so continue to check this item in My eBay

Item you've bid on:

Keystone Light Mini-Tap Handle

Time left: 3 days 17 hours [Oct-16-08 10:26:13 PDT]

History: 3 bids

Your current bid: US $5.50

Your maximum bid: US $10.00

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dayum right, I gotta research also my local Keystun Keg distributors. I have 2 requirements.

In Route to or from my normal drive to and from work.

Always on stock for me when I roll in there needin my **** swapped out ! :drinkers:

( J - HB decided to spend the night with G-ma so she didnt have to get up early with me since she doesnt have school tommorow , you suck for being in T-Town :flipoff1: )

haha.. why is that???
I don't have to go back till in the morn...

And I just bid on the second one...
we'll put the keystun tap on it no matter whats inside...

Free split fridge I got off craigs list

2 taps drilled through the side, drain tray, high life handles and 5 5 gallon kegs. Fridge will only fit two. I will get pics

Bones said:
Free split fridge I got off craigs list

2 taps drilled through the side, drain tray, high life handles and 5 5 gallon kegs. Fridge will only fit two. I will get pics

is this a done deal or are you talking theory to us ??!! JRich and I are here in the garage shooting idea's at each other on this project right now ( OK we are drinking some Keystuns and looking up Tara Reid pics for the perfect hottie thread but whatever..... molaugh )

I've had two official kegorators, back in the day.

#1 thing to remember is to shut off the co2 when not in use. It's very frustrating to try and pour a beer and not have any co2. I bought two tanks for mine and problem was solved.
#2 make sure you keep the lines clean. If you don't drink out of it often enough mold will set up. This never happened to me.

The perks, when you get real drunk you can fill your glass with just enough beer to keep going. You know when you have a few sipps left in ya right before bed time.
Kegorators are awsome, they'll give you some of the best times ever.

P said:
is this a done deal or are you talking theory to us ??!! JRich and I are here in the garage shooting idea's at each other on this project right now ( OK we are drinking some Keystuns and looking up Tara Reid pics for the perfect hottie thread but whatever..... molaugh )
Had it for about 8 months. When not in service, I use it for extra food and drinks. Forgot to get pics.

Real simple, only I do not think a full size keg would fit in mine since the bottom of the fridge slopes in the back where the veggie trays usually are. If you built a "deck" to set it on, it might be too tall and you would be forced to used a half/pony keg

My CO2 sits outside the fridge for space reasons and I drilled a 1/2" hole through the fridge and put some pipe and barbed nipples inside and out to attach the CO2 lines to. I can run 2 of my 5 gallon kegs at a time, maybe three if I had 3 brewed and felt the need, but doubt I ever do.

1st - I know I didn't transfer money today for this :mad: Cause if I did... oh someone is in big trouble when I get home!

2nd - I hope you asked HB if you could use her O'Charleys milk glass to drink your poison?

Ambo said:
1st - I know I didn't transfer money today for this :mad: Cause if I did... oh someone is in big trouble when I get home!

2nd - I hope you asked HB if you could use her O'Charleys milk glass to drink your poison?

P, if you need a place, I'm here for ya man :flipoff1:

P said:
Dayum right, I gotta research also my local Keystun Keg distributors. I have 2 requirements.

In Route to or from my normal drive to and from work.

Always on stock for me when I roll in there needin my **** swapped out ! :drinkers:

Dees on Green Springs has everything from Beast to Killians in STOCK in 1/2 and full kegs loller.gif

(205) 322-3333

Deep South said:
Dees on Green Springs has everything from Beast to Killians in STOCK in 1/2 and full kegs loller.gif

(205) 322-3333

Vulcan Beverage seems to be a little less money. I went to school with owner, Mark Green. 8th Ave South, not far from Green Springs.

Latest posts