• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

BooneDocker (rebuilding the black diamond)

Snowrunner

Well a little history here. I had an 85 runner that I got from a guy in california. It had 5.29's & arbs f/r, dual marlin cases, fror full floating rear end, york onboard air with the arb compressor for backup, etc.

Heres a pic of the ole runner, loved takin the exchange students out wheelin.

DCP00999.jpg

Well the 4runner had an accident bout a year after I got it. I came home from work was in a rush to get to town for a movie and either didnt put it in gear or put the parking brake on :headshake: and this is what happened. Rolled outta my driveway and landed upside down in the creek after goin off bought a 8-10 ft bank. I had the top off because I was goin to put the full cage I had for it in that weekend. Just a day late..

joncrash0003.jpg

joncrash0047.jpg

Well it sat like this for a while and I didnt drive it untill winter came around the next year and I had an itch to go wheelin so off I went.

Image72.jpg

A year later my good friend Gotrocks got a hold of the Blackdiamond truck from the bdrunner build and I picked it up from him. I threw all my running gear from the old runner in that in a hurry to see if I could make it for our anuall wheelin trip up here. Didnt make it so now im goin to tear it all out go through everything from front to rear and do it all right before this winter comes I hope.

Heres some pics of the rig as it sat when I got all the runnin gear in it.

l_7898cd7f1928bd6e77cc22a9fbe40794.jpg

l_3a9958893a4c7b05e08e2c9805ee8e09.jpg

l_245274448974076393732051a9c294d3.jpg

The Plan:
Go through front to back regasket, re-bearing, inspect and repair anything that nedds it
Upgrade front hanger and crossmember in the process move axle forward 1 inch with hanger
Rears up front
Alcans from old bd truck in the rear
Custom front bumper
Flat Belly
Flat Bed
Ubolt flip kits all around
30 Spline Longs
Full cage
Frenched Rear Hangers

Possibilities:
2.7 taco motor
atlas
diamond axles
If not diamonds then possibly ifs hubs for extra width

Well thats it for now ill post pics of my first days work tomorrow. Gotta get to bed to work more to get money for this.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the first days worth of work. Got it in the shop and pulled the front axles all out and apart.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Heres a picture of my front gears. I didnt have any gear markin compound or anything, so I wiped it all down and used a black marker. These gears have about 15k miles on them. The pattern is center on the ring gear up and down good, but the pinion needs to come out some. What do you guys think? Theres no play in the pinion. Would it hurt the gears to reset them now that they have that many miles on them?

IMG_0009.jpg

Here are my rears for the front. I dont remember what brand they are but they should work out pretty good. I might have to add a leaf to it but well see after I get it all back together.

IMG_0013.jpg

Well I should have a chance to tear the engine tranny and t-cases out this weekend to start workin on them. Ill get pics when I do.

I need to figure out a name for my project now too. Ive been goin with snowrunner because I had the runner and im into snow wheelin. Id like to keep it snow themed so any idea are appreciated.

Last edited:
Sweet truck. Sounds like you gota lota work ahead of you. Should probably move this to the garage section.
Names uhh... hmmm... how about
"Snowblack" course i'm assuming the color is not changing...

Well heres the progress for this weekend. I didnt have alot of time to get things done but I had enough to get this done.

Motor Tranny and T-cases pulled all in one shot.

IMG_0030.jpg

Pulled the front fenders and bed off.

IMG_0029.jpg

I figure since im goin this far ill pull the cab and plate and paint the frame. That will make it easier to do the crossmember on the front too. Ill be redoin a couple of the crossmembers inorder to make more room for a few other things I have planed.

Last edited:
Got a name for it, goin to be the BoonDocker. Im into snow wheelin and am the redneck kidna guy who lives in the boondocks so it fits.

The latest and greatest, which is not to much.

Got the rear crossmember torched off along with the shock mounts and bed mounts. Got a new dewalt grinder and got to use it to clean up the frame after all the cutting.

IMG_0065.jpg

The only problem ive found with the frame is this spot full off rust. But its not to bad. Its just at the seam so i will get a piece weld it in then the frame will get plated there anyways.

IMG_0067.jpg

Heres what im thinking for my fuel tanks. The first option is this. Cut out the back of the cab kind of like it is now on the passenger side but up higher and further back so the tank will set sideways in the frame instead of lenthwise.

IMG_0065a.jpg

The other option is to cut both sides but the driver side will look like the passenger side and the passenger side will be up higher than it currently is. Ill use the stock carb tank on the passenger side where it was originally located. Then i will use my old efi runner tank on the driver side. The other reason for this is the 4Runner tank has lower front end on it. Check the picture out to see what im talkin about.

IMG_0065b.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

Ill just hook up a pump to the carb tank and use it for a transfer tank for the efi one.

The best news off all! Theres a wrecked tacoma locally that im goin to try and get. Its a 3.4 trd prerunner that was rolled. If I can get that then theres goin to be some kickass things goin in this truck. If not then im goin to stick with what I have for now.

Last edited:
Progress

Well for the little time I had this weekend I got done what I wanted to. The first order of business was to take care of that nasty rust spot on the frame, so I cut it out and welded in a piece of 12 guage steel in there. Next for frenching the spring mounts I marked out the cutout for the half piece of pipe I was goin to put in and cut it out.

IMG_0076.jpg

Then I welded on a piece of 1/4 plate on the inside of the frame rails to used for the backin plate for the frenched mount and to brace the frame. I still have another piece to weld on towards the front of the truck to complete it and I might put some 3/16 on the outside of the frame.

IMG_0105.jpg

Then the half piece of pipe got welded in and holes were drilled for the spring bolts.

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Hung the springs and just tied the shackles up so I could get and idea where to mount them. Ill pick up some rear hangers after work tomorrow.

IMG_0072.jpg

Saw I could put a bolt through some of the holes on the frame so I did that and let it rest on its own weight.

IMG_0104.jpg

This is where it sits with the frame level

IMG_0109.jpg

Ground to frame heigth

IMG_0107.jpg

Heigth to top of cab

IMG_0108.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments guys, keep them and any ideas comin. Its comin together slowly as money comes in but its gettin there. Im hopin to order at least a front Diamond axle soon. Im thinkin 62-64 wms havnt decided yet.

Wuhahahah Booner goood ol girl its gonna run the hills this year, just have to get mine going and people will envy, but wht can you do take it easy man i owned tonight after you left also casue im the man take it easy buddy
Pete Bly:stirpot:

you're losing 1 inch of cab height on me??? Right now my frame is sitting at 20.5 and the top of cab is 71, that's 50.5 cab height. do the math on your's and it's 49.5....wierd, is a pickup cab shorter???

you're losing 1 inch of cab height on me??? Right now my frame is sitting at 20.5 and the top of cab is 71, that's 50.5 cab height. do the math on your's and it's 49.5....wierd, is a pickup cab shorter???

Yes it is. 4 runner has a taller cab the a pick up.

Guess what guys!? Got my diamond ordered today should be here in 3 weeks. Im stoked for this. 63 wms, upgraded knuckle gussets, fill hole, for t100/tundra chunks. Im goin to have Front range build me the chunk once I get my 4cyl one sold. Other updates got the rear crossmember done. This weekend im goin to work on finishing plating the rear part of the frame and cleaning it up. Then it will be on to the front to redo the front crossmember. Almost got my tube bed all drawn up in solidworks so when I get that done ill post up a pic.

Hey man found your build. She's come a ways since it left the shop. Glad to see you getting stuff done. I'll try to get that job out of my shop so you can rent the bender and get that bed done. Bring you laptop over so I can see the tube bed idea.