• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Boonie's Build of Debauchery

So I spooled the new rope on and the battery is leaking... :mad: Not that i expected anything less, i don't know much about the battery in it, but it's def. not cut out for the load, or my wires/grounds are bad :eeek:. The winch had all good clean connections and i put new end terminals on the battery side of things.

Any suggestions for a good battery? :corn:

Last edited:
So I spooled the new rope on and the battery is leaking... :mad: Not that i expected anything less, i don't know much about the battery in it, but it's def. not cut out for the load, or my wires/grounds are bad :eeek:. The winch had all good clean connections and i put new end terminals on the battery side of things.

Optima Yellow top and a higher output alternator, expensive but way worth it

$20 at the local yard. Look for the largest and newest one they have.

Or go get a $100 plus battery and hope to never damage it.

I have an optima blue top (gray bottom, starting only battery apparently :redneck:) that I used to run in my S-10 w/ a high output alternator and this exact winch and never had a problem, but im just concern with using a lower output alternator on this system that it will be harder on the battery? I dont know...

I guess i wish i knew WHY this was happening, it happened before when i had a power inverter hooked up to the cig lighter for a brief time (hour at most) with the truck turned off and again when running.

I'm am the farthest from an electrical guru there is. I could ruin a flashlight if given the chance. :redneck:

EDIT:

Maybe the alternator is overcharging....? :eeek:

Last edited:
It's easy to have both the alternator and battery tested. If you don't have the guage, NAPA will. I like yellow tops, have one in my jeep. I've done a fair amount of winching and it's worked fine with the stock alternator. You pay for it though. My wheeler has a regular battery and it's done fine winching as well, I just don't think it will last as long. Buy what you can afford.

I checked the alternator last night and it's charging fine. Granted it's not a high output alternator, it was still charging. I'm thinking the battery has a dead cell, it died a couple times over winter and is ran only on occasion, so it's had a hard last year. :redneck:

So, I've been a busy little beaver for one day. Went and cleaned the intake and throttle body, it now runs better but still has a hesitation, thinking it's the TPS at this point, but have yet to test it.

So while waiting for gaskets to show up for that portion of my weekend i made these...
2011-09-04_11-52-38_446.jpg

Which turned into these:
2011-09-04_19-24-23_845.jpg

Looking up at the bottom.
2011-09-04_19-24-32_117.jpg

I have yet to drill them out to the proper hole diameter i want to run, i need to drill them out slightly if i use the metal sleeve portion of the RUF's I have. Which is fine, everything is lined up now and ready to go, I can have this installed on the truck and still have my IFS pimping big! :redneck:

Front View:
2011-09-04_21-14-23_953.jpg

I still have to do some grinding and put a winch rope plate "guard" along the back to protect the rope from getting gouged on a sharp corner of the body that sticks out.

2011-09-04_21-14-35_789.jpg

Last edited:
So, I mounted the winch/spring mount to the truck. Was wokring to get the winch bolted on and broke a bolt, and the drill was nowhere to be found, so that slowed progress. But here are some pics of the mount in relation to the vehicle:

Sometimes a few different angles are helpful to see different things...

Side View:
2011-11-06_09-23-20_238.jpg

2011-11-06_09-23-25_163.jpg

Front View:
2011-11-06_09-23-35_84.jpg

2011-11-06_09-23-45_780.jpg

2011-11-06_09-23-53_225.jpg

Installed a new style exhaust header on my 2.7L engine, runs way quieter, the old manifold had two large cracks, one of which almost went completely around the manifold! :eek:
Anyways,
Started rebuild one of two E-Lockers this past weekend. And to make my life easier I whipped up a quick and dirty 3rd member stand. So far it has made the job 100 times easier! :welder::saw:

It's ugly, but it was meant for one thing. Note the use of a spider gear from a SAS Chevy Luv project I had years ago. Bling Factor!
2012-03-31_20-48-45_127.jpg

The diff looked as though it was living in a peet bog for the past 20 years.
2012-04-01_10-49-28_13.jpg

I completely tore down the 3rd to nothing. Here it is on the stand in a tub of it's own filth while cleaning it.
2012-04-01_10-49-24_119.jpg

I also tore down and cleaned the locker itself as the bolts holding the case together were only finger tight.......:eek:
2012-04-01_13-44-56_570.jpg

Ha ha! Sorry, there was no debauchery because none of my friends came over, I was actually able to get work done! :fawkdancesmiley::haha:

The winch mount..............no'fo'sale! Isaygoodday! :redneck:

What I got done this weekend:
-Assembled wheels and tires
-Regeared E-Locker diff
-Installed new exhaust from header back with new O2 sensors

2012-05-08_20-27-47_987.jpg

I put some BB's in each tire as per my usual balancing act. This time it took a bit longer though...freebie with the BB's! :awesomework:
2012-05-12_21-28-08_540.jpg

Almost installed:
2012-05-12_21-37-59_466.jpg

Obligatory gear pattern shot for critiquing.
2012-05-12_18-17-21_148.jpg