• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Borla Header review for TJ

hoeynoey

On the way back from a wheeling trip I hit a pothole and my front drive line smashed into my exhaust pipe cracking my exhaust manifold into three pieces. I ordered the Rugged Ridge stainless steel header (mostly because of the price @ 300 bucks) I got super fast shipping from summit racing. I spent all day trying to make it fit, but the way the tubes were bent I had no idea how I was going to get two bolt in because of the distance between the tube and the flange. After hours of working on it I still couldn't get the last two bolts in and there was still a 1/4'' gap on the top of the intake! :mad: Ended up the tubes interfered with the intake. I called Summit and they said I could return it (after they received it) they would give me a refund. I then called Borla customer service and asked them about there warranty. The man I talked to said any crack would be covered and a new header would be shipped to replace the broken one free of charge! The Borla stainless steel header was 100 bucks more, but it was much better looking visually, was better built and came in two pieces for ease of installation. I could not believe how nice it fit. Like a glove! I would recommend Borla to anyone, top notch company!

I will not ever buy anything Rugged :fawkdancesmiley: Ridge P.O.S company, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Let's hear how you feel when the Borla has cracked and been replaced "under warranty" 2 or 3 times, even though you have to do the labor yourself. They're all crap. But the $100 ebay special and be done with it.

John

Let's hear how you feel when the Borla has cracked and been replaced "under warranty" 2 or 3 times, even though you have to do the labor yourself. They're all crap. But the $100 ebay special and be done with it.

John

Just did mine on a '93 YJ. I used the cheap one off EBAY. With shipping it was under $100. Stainless steel with the expansion bellows on the #1 and #6 tubes. Everyone I've talk to says this is the only way to go.

I strongly believe in word of mouth and I was just sharing a good experience I had! I love Ebay and I have scored some crazy good deals, but I refuse to waste hard earned money on poorly engineered terrible overall quality china junk :awesomework:

The factory header on the 4.0 on its own is pretty good. Mine's out of a mid ninetys Cherokee. There's a few mods you can do it to strengthen it up but overall it can be a great part. I didn't know people actually bought headers for jeeps... they keep selling them someone's buying them. Good luck with this new one hope it works out

I think what he is saying is he likes the Borla header AND has found some great deals on Ebay; however, he also does not like cheap China crap, so he went with a more reliable route and went with Borla. In short, he likes Borla, and likes some good deals on Ebay. Did I get it :cheer:?

The factory header on the 4.0 on its own is pretty good. Mine's out of a mid ninetys Cherokee. There's a few mods you can do it to strengthen it up but overall it can be a great part. I didn't know people actually bought headers for jeeps... they keep selling them someone's buying them. Good luck with this new one hope it works out
Factory headers out of 98 & 99 tj are junk

Anyone recommend any certain header for a 4cylinder 97 TJ? I need to replace my manifold badly but not sure what i should go with yet. Thanks.

Sorry for hijack